Have I Got A Screw Loose....;)

Mysterae

Gawd
Parts for my new pc build started to arrive today, including of which was a Tagan TG580-U15 (580W).

Shortly after taking the psu out of it's box I noticed a rattle. Sounded metallic too (not Ride The Lightning, hopefully not apt ;) ). I started to move the psu around to see if I could see what it was. And I could; a nut! There was no way I was turning on a power supply with a nut loose inside.

The grill on the back of the Tagan has hexagonal holes, the same shape as the nut :rolleyes: but just a smidge smaller :mad: ! The psu has a tamper proof seal on one of the chasis screws, so taking it apart wasn't an option if I was to send it back. I did manage to get it out anyway, through the fan on top :) .

Enough of my components are here now to make a start on my build, but should I trust the power supply? They do say that wherever there's a nut, there's a bolt that doesn't have one...

I say impatience is a virtue, so I tested the psu before deciding to definitely send it back. Connected up a fan, switched the psu on at the switch and jumped the green and black. At first nothing, but after a 5 min wait to reset, it's running fine. Voltages are all present if a little over volting but not high enough to worry.

It's too late in the night to start building anything, but I'm wondering if I should send the psu back regardless. Means a weeks wait for a new one! Or do I go for broke and run with it anyways? The X2 4400+, DFI Crossfire motherboard and X1800XT are all screaming install me!!!

well if nothing else is rattling, it may be usless as it is. If it's working, you may have a perfectly good PSU on your hands. I'd use it pending any future problems--then return it.

...but thats just me.

You can probably open the case enough without disturbing the tamper sticker to get the nut out.

Like I said earlier, I managed to get the nut out, but it's the thing the nut wa s attached to that's the worry! I'm going ahead and use it as it seems to work with the jumper! If it fecks up my hardware, there will be hell to pay!

Back