EK NF4 Chipset Block - First Impressions

orkan

[H]ard|Gawd
Before I bought this block... the last time I heard or read the country name Slovenia, was in history class in high school! Edvard Konig (EK WaterBlocks) designed this block which can be found here: http://www.cerkovnik.si/indexh2o_e.htm

I'll be putting this thing in my loop within the next week or so. It is designed to fit on NF4 boards that are in an SLI configuration. It slides under the vid card, and brings the barbs out where you can get at them. I got mine with 1/2"ID barbs.

Packaging could be better. It was a wrapped in bubble wrap inside this pouch. Use of a box would be better, especially coming from europe to the states.
EK_block_package.jpg

Hmm... looks pretty sexy so far! I just hope the poly top doesn't crack like every other one I've had.
EK_block1.jpg

The whole unit is 14mm thick. (not including barbs)
EK_block2.jpg

Not sure if this is saw markings... or a mill bit... but it does not look good. I don't have proper tools to measure flattness, but It does not inspire confidence.
EK_block3.jpg

I'll let the picture do the talking. You can see dimensions... and a couple places where I found some metal shavings hanging out. My caliper is only accurate to the hundredth... but for what it's worth. :)
EK_block4.jpg

I can't wait to see how it'll perform. Definately will be better than my stock hsf on the SLI-DR chipset. Idle temp is 44-47c with AS5. I'm sure this block will help out with that.

Thanks for the block and quick delivery Edvard. (from slovenia anyway) ;)

The bottom of that block was cut with a very rough milling cutter. From the look of it I would say they used a brazed tool in a fly cutter head on a very unstable setup resulting in a lot of chatter. Top looks nice though. :)

... Sorry its not 1/4", sheesh, lol.

That actually looks like a promising chipset cooler, please tell us the final temperatures you receive and what parts you are using. I hope you lapped that before putting it into your loop dude.

I just bought one of these also. I plan on putting it into my loop this weekend, so i'll report back on how it performs.

Yeah, he's an AC preacher =\.

I think that the block you've purchased looks incredibly nice. It really does look like a good performer, I am incredibly curious to see some benchmarks. Like, after looking at all the CPU and GPU blocks that dude has made, I am now really curious as to know how well they perform.

One of my lanning buddies run's all ek stuff, had to give most of them a good lapping on the bottom, but he's always been happy with the purchase.

So this fits under video cards? Looks very nice. I like how it seems to be much less restrictive than the AC / Alphacool coolers (not sure what the MIPS block looks like on the inside.

Eddy's blocks are very good. A minor hand lapping is all that is needed. He has his own style and designs.

Gotta like custom block makers...

well, i was going to do some late night computer upgrades tonight and put the EK chipset block onto my board, but it's REALLY a tight fit. It definatly fits under the gfx cards, but the tubing coming from it is a little bit to close to one of my ramsinks on the bottom graphics card. I'm going to shave the heatsink down tomorrow with my trusty dremel and i'm pretty sure there should be enough room. I'll post some pics once i have it on.

Top Nurse said:
It's easy to preach the truth. :)
That "AC" is expensive, exteemely true............. :eek:
That it offers the "BEST" cooling performance, a total lie...................... :eek:

Is it just me, or does it now seem like EVERY thread in the watercooling forum eventually turns into AquaComputers vs. Large bore setups? :confused:

seniorpaul said:
Is it just me, or does it now seem like EVERY thread in the watercooling forum eventually turns into AquaComputers vs. Large bore setups? :confused:

Unfortunately it seems that way....I feel like SG-1 trying to fend off the priors of the hor-eye (or however you spell it)

Erasmus354 said:
Unfortunately it seems that way....I feel like SG-1 trying to fend off the priors of the hor-eye (or however you spell it)

even though i like aqua computer, but i kind of get sick that they are everywhere, every watercooling forum i visit, or whenever someone ask about watercooling

Why can't people stay on topic anymore.

I swear to F that If I posted a thread about arctic penguins... you guys would ask about a goddamn grizzly bear.

Erasmus354 said:

priors of the ori :)

personally i could care less about the large bore VS pidly ass fittings thing as long as they put up the numbers. although id probably go for AC just to be one of the few canadians with AC stuff and because cuplx xt's = godly loking lmao

orkan said:
Why can't people stay on topic anymore.

I swear to F that If I posted a thread about arctic penguins... you guys would ask about a goddamn grizzly bear.

Have you gotten around to lapping your block yet? What video card are you running with this block, and how long til we see some piccies of it mounted to your board?

This block is NOT for a video card. It is for a NF4 chipset. I was going to do it this weekend, but found a hole in my apogee. Clicky

So hopefully by next weekend I'll get it in the loop with my storm, and MP-01.

heh, thats funny. It looks similar to the one i made today. I dont really think fins are necessary becasue the chipset doesn't create THAT much heat, but it is a bit too much for that little aluminum piece of crap with a 5cfm fan on it. I built mine for max flow so it doesn't slow down my loop. BUT i'm using 3/8" fittings instead.May change to 1/2" later, but we'll see if it does ok.

nf42.jpg

nf41.jpg

orkan said:
This block is NOT for a video card. It is for a NF4 chipset. I was going to do it this weekend, but found a hole in my apogee. Clicky

So hopefully by next weekend I'll get it in the loop with my storm, and MP-01.

I understand it is a chipset block, I wanted to know what card you are running with it because different cards have different dimensions, some are larger than others.

Back