GA-K8N51PVMT-9 - help, no post & no beeps

rand777

n00b
Dear Fellow Members,

I am in need of some help -- I installed the following parts together yesterday and was able to load XP onto my new machine successfully:

GA-K8N51PVMT-9
Athlon 64 X2 4200+
Aspire Q-Pack
SEASONIC S12-500
CORSAIR Twinx2048-3200c2pt
WD 7200 SATA WD4000KD

When I turned on the machine today however I got no display & no beeps; the system and cpu fan come on though and the power LED on the case lights up.

I tried removing everything but the CPU/heatsink w/only the speaker and power switch cable connected to the MB, but no luck. I then swapped the Seasonic power supply for the one that came with the Q-Pack, again to no avail. I also tried installing a PCI video card and still no display. I then swapped my monitor & PS cables with ones known to work from my legacy machine, again without luck. Lastly, I tried resetting the CMOS battery and the power supply.

It seems to me that the MB (or possibly the CPU??) must have gone bad somehow; any suggestions on what I might try next; I was hoping I might get it working today somehow before just giving up and RMA-ing the MB.

Thanks everyone!
Rand

Exact same thing happend to my PVMT-9. I RMAed it back to newegg.

Strange thing is, I had it working PERFECTLY for a day. I even looped 3dmark2001 overnight and the system was stable as a rock.

I then installed my HDTV Tuner card and when I went to turn the computer on, no post, no beeps. I was troubleshooting for 2 hours before I decided to return the board to newegg. Hopefully the second one fares better.

P.S.

It troubles me greatly knowing the exact same thing happend to someone else. This being a brand new product, obviously it has no history of reliability (or the lack of it). I hope there is not a manufacturing problem with this board.

agentzero9,

Thanks for the reply -- I just requested an RMA from the egg as well. HOpefully our replacement boards serve us better!

Rand

Hi guys,

I think my board may have the exacty same problem. Once the system boots it is perfectly fine, but sometimes it takes like 5-6 tries before it will start up. When it doesn't work, there are no beeps from the PC speaker and no video, but the fans, LEDs, and harddrive all power up.

I bought mine from zipzoomfly, which means I believe I will be required to pay a 15% restocking fee (even on defective items)?

I'm trying to figure out exactly what I should do about it. I very seldomly reset my system.

Nite_Hawk

I'm hoping if enough people send their complaints directly to Gigabyte they might actually look into this problem.
Hopefully whatever it is could be fixed in a BIOS update unless its some mass manufacturing problem in which case we're all SOL.

I got mine on Friday and it has had no troubles at all. AMD 3000+ venice, MCE 2005, Hauppauge 250, 1gb value select ram, Chaintech 710 sound card, seagate 160gb .

andrew

Could it be an issue just with the dual cores? I havent really been keeping a tally but I seem to notice the problems happen with people that are running a dual core.

I think it is the Sata plug. Same problem as most here (after moving my HD around) after a few reboots and nothing I noticed the sta cable is held in poorly. I held it tight in place and it booted. Coold be nothing or not? sorry for the 5th grade skills I be drink in

Edit: Nevermind the board is junk. May or may not have anything to do with sata cables. Anyway looks like the asus or foxcon is next. I really just want a stable system.

I installed an AMD X2 4400, 2x1GB of PC-4000 memory, a 7800 GTX 512, along with 2 PATA HDD and an optical drive with my K8N51PVMT-9, and haven't had a single problem.

I've benchmarked it a few times, did several hours of Prime95 CPU stress testing, and played BF2 and burned a few DVDS, all without any hiccups. I shut down every time when I'm done for the day, and haven't gotten any of these weird startup issues.

As noted above, I'm not using any SATA connections, so perhaps that may be the culprit for the rest of you. *shrug*

I just had the exact same thing happen to me. I just got the board and hooked everything up loaded windows. I then went to bed woke up the next morning, no post, no video, just the CPU fan spinning and the leds on my case turned on.

I put in a amd 64 3000+ and a gig of 3200 ram and just using on board video

I guess if this cannot be fixed I do not recommend this board AT ALL!!!

btw Using 40gig IDE hd

UPDATE: I have figured out how to get it to post. The problem seems to be the PSU, it only likes certain ones, which is odd. The fix for my PSU was to unplug the ATX power from mobo then plug in the PSU and plug the ATX power back in while pressing the power button at the same time... It boots then but I have yet to see if it fixes this problem for good,,,, futher updates !!!

I have the matx antec psu, can't believe it doesn't like that lol

GokuSSL said:
UPDATE: I have figured out how to get it to post. The problem seems to be the PSU, it only likes certain ones, which is odd. The fix for my PSU was to unplug the ATX power from mobo then plug in the PSU and plug the ATX power back in while pressing the power button at the same time... It boots then but I have yet to see if it fixes this problem for good,,,, futher updates !!!

I have the matx antec psu, can't believe it doesn't like that lol

Someone on newegg mentioned that same fix, nice work. Mine is still getting returned for an asus.

I built my system last night.

Right now, everything is working fine. Had it running for several hours total, probably a dozen reboots, benchmarked some games, transfered large files from back up, and everything is ok.

Try to power it off completely, let it sit for a second and try to turn it back on. If you want to get crazy once the computer is off switch the psu on and off. If you still have no problems you may be a lucky one. Mine will reboot/restart fine but a hard off/power down is a gamble.

SeaDonkey said:
Try to power it off completely, let it sit for a second and try to turn it back on. If you want to get crazy once the computer is off switch the psu on and off. If you still have no problems you may be a lucky one. Mine will reboot/restart fine but a hard off/power down is a gamble.

Done and done.

I gave it a few rounds of "turn on/turn off, wait several seconds, restart", "lets throw the psu switch to hard shut it down, flip it a few times, then try restarting", as well as "power it down, again wait a few seconds, flip the switch a few times, then power it back up". It started every time.

I honestly think for those that it's not working with, that it's a PSU problem.

*Edit* - if it matters, I'm running the 500W Enermax Liberty, which is probably the best powersupply I've ever had the fortune to use (stable, high efficiency, quiet). Haven't had a PCP&C, so can't say how those are.

Thanks for checking.

My rig:
ASPIRE X-QPACK/ENERMAX EG425P-VE(420W)
GIGABYTE GA-K8N51PVMT-9
A64 3700+ San Diego/ZALMAN CNPS7000B-ALCU
G.SKILL Extreme Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR 400 (PC 3200)
connect3D 3038 Radeon X800GTO (unlocked to 16 pipes OCed 520/520)
2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 160GB 7.2K 8MB SATA 3.0Gb
LITE-ON 1635S

SeaDonkey said:
Thanks for checking.

My rig:
ASPIRE X-QPACK/ENERMAX EG425P-VE(420W)
GIGABYTE GA-K8N51PVMT-9
A64 3700+ San Diego/ZALMAN CNPS7000B-ALCU
G.SKILL Extreme Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR 400 (PC 3200)
connect3D 3038 Radeon X800GTO (unlocked to 16 pipes OCed 520/520)
2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 160GB 7.2K 8MB SATA 3.0Gb
LITE-ON 1635S

Honestly, I'm willing to bet it's your powersupply. The PSU that comes with the X-Qpack is flaky at best, and with what you have, I bet it's simply pushing it to beyond the PSU's limits, even if it seems like it'd be enough.

The op has the same problem and is using a SEASONIC S12-500. I really hope its the mobo. I guess I'll know soon enough. My Asus mb arrives tomorrow.

I got a brand new PSU just for this rig. It's an ANTEC SmartPower 400, if a microatx SFF board can't run off that then there are serious problems with this board.

You know, while I haven't had any of the booting problems that you all have, I do have another problem to report:

my graphics performance right now for Source is horrible. No matter the resolution, what settings are enabled, etc., I'm averaging around 24-30 fps no matter what. The thing is, this was an issue on my previous motherboard, a Gigabyte K8N Sli Pro board, and a BIOS fix worked for that. Ofcourse, with this board, GigaByte still has it listed as "Coming Soon", and no new bios release in sight. :/

I received my replacement Asus 6150 motherboard. Popped in all the parts and it works like a charm! The same parts that were causing me nothing but problems with the gigabyte.

Bit of speculation here so don't take this as what is really​
going on.

Well I hope this is not the problem and I'm not trying to start anything or offend anyone or any manufacturers here...

This is my opinion only! and not the opinion of anyone else here or the opinion of the forum owners.

The GA-K8N51PVMT-9 board I looked at locally comes with Nichicon HM(M) series capacitors, the same ones that DELL had all over it's failing GX270 mainboards.

The following newer mainboards had the same series fail on them:
Medion MD5000
intel 865 gbf
Dell OptiPlex GX270

I'm not sure if you guys have the same capacitors on your mainboards, but several large OEM companies are no longer using those capacitors, DELL, HP etc...

Nichicon other series are still ok

http://news.com.com/5208-1041-0.html?forumID=1&threadID=11367&messageID=84875&start=-1

PCs plagued by bad capacitors

http://news.com.com/2100-1041-5942647.html?tag=tb

Could this be a new entry into the history of badcaps ? I don't know. I certainly hope not.

I guess the only way to really check is to have the mainboard recapped with an alternate series of capacitors...but I'm sure no one wants to go through that trouble when they can exchange or RMA their existing board.

MD

clarknova said:
I received my replacement Asus 6150 motherboard. Popped in all the parts and it works like a charm! The same parts that were causing me nothing but problems with the gigabyte.

Did the same, got the same results!

I also have GA-K8N51PVMT-9 m/b...
I get machine check_sum error.
I can't seem to get the m/b to be stable at all.

I am not overclocking and lowered the memory setting to 3-4-4-8 at 1t.

I am using 6600gt, x2 3800+, 2 x 1gig DDR 400 ram, and Seasonic S12 430w P/S?

I read many posts about BSD macine check_sum error. Anyone know whats causing this problem with this board?

I am about to rma as a defect. I also have a biostar m/b on order which should arrive any day now. Hopefully Biostar board will work better...

Hi Guys,

Just for you that are wondering about it being a powersupply issue, I'm running mine with an antec neopower 480, so I doubt it's the powersupply.

Any of you guys have any experience RMAing to zipzoomfly? I really wish I would have purchased this board through newegg when I got my case, but there were no reports of these problems back when I bought mine.

Nite_Hawk

Mine has the same post issue. Whenever you unplug the power supply and plug it back in it will not post. I am sending mine back. PSU was a PSU SEASONIC|S12-380 RT.

andrew

Quick question for everyone who's having trouble: what case are you using for your system?

ToastMaster said:
Quick question for everyone who's having trouble: what case are you using for your system?

I'm using Silverstone SG01 case with Seasonic S12 430w

Antec Sonata, 380w quiet PSU.

Goku's method will work.

I too ran into the same issue with mine. It was working, then I installed a FDD (floppy) cable and drive onto the board and then on next boot it was SOL. The only think that brought it back was the above method. It seems risky though, pushing the button to turn on the power and plugging in the ATX connector to the board at the same time?? Mine made a small electrical pop as the ATX connector went in, but then on the next boot I could finally get into the bios. We have to rig job this board to get it to work.

Gigabyte needs to fix this, because this is a definite MB recall issue!!!

Got my new Gigabyte 6150 board. So far so good. Posts every time regardless of how many times I restart etc.

Let's hope this continues.

However one thing I already don't like about the 6150 chipset (or NVidia cards in general?) is that you can't have a mirrored display. I would like to send VGA to my monitor and component to my HDTV, but it seems I can only do one at a time.

Hi everyone,

Juse thought I'd let everyone know that my A8N-VM CSM mobo arrived today, and sure enough, it works just fine with all of the same parts that the PVMT-9 refused to post with.

Rand

Had the same thing happen to me this weekend, but I have the 6100 ver of the board. Of course it happened to me at probably the most inoportune time, while I was at a LAN party over an hour away from home :mad:

I replaced it with a new board and it worked fine, but I think that I am going to switch to the ASUS or FOXCON 6150 board instead, just to be sure... :rolleyes:

I have found one thing that seems to work. Make sure the power switch connector to the motherboard is firmly in place. I have got to post every time by pressing firmly to ensure the cable is set.

Update:

a week and a half after having installing it (and having everything go relatively alright), the board died. Wednesday, came home from the city, and found it had blue-screen with the expected error. I restarted it, and it was working fine - until around 3/4 am, when it blue-screen again, and this time for good.

So right now, I'm looking at either the ASUS or the MSI board (and once I tear my system apart, I'm gonna RMA the Gigabyte board back to newegg for money back (minus the restocking fee)).

Hahah.. I have had this board for over a month and have been plagued with problems.. random reboots, BSODs, check_sum errors, not starting up correctly.. I've had it all! Whenever I installed a floppy drive a while back it wouldn't boot up until I switched out my Antec neo480 with the shitty psu that came with the qpack. It has been in there since.. but guess what? I still get the random reboots! This motherboard is terrible! I just want a freaking stable system! :(

Back