90NM GTX to have 30 pipes

I'd be more than a little surprised, for one simple reason:
nVidia has launched the 7800 series the first half of this year, IIRC. It's already been updated with a new high-end card in the form of the 512MB GTX. Where in all of this commotion are the low- and mid-range cards? We've been told 7200 and 7600 will be pin-compatible with the corresponding chips from the GeForce6 family, and they've yet to materialize. Most graphics cards sold are in the $150-$199 range, and nVidia has yet to update these offerings- why would they focus on the monsters, while ignoring their #1 target audience?

mavalpha said:
Most graphics cards sold are in the $150-$199 range, and nVidia has yet to update these offerings- why would they focus on the monsters, while ignoring their #1 target audience?

You have any statistics for that figure? My experience is that Joe Public is still perfectly happy buying the sub $100 5200/5700/9600/9800 cards.

Has anybody else noticed that you could remove those 00s and not lose a damned thing in telling products apart? Jeebus, in ten years we'll all be running Geforce 190000s and Radeon 3000000s. In twenty years, we'll have to resort to exponents or run out of box space for the title.

"The memory is not the problem and even Samsung memory running at 1700 MHz+ is not in tight supply. -Inq
"

I thought the reason 7800gtx 512's were so short in supply was due to samsung not producing enough of the chips :confused:

I think there is more to it than that. Samsung just lost the biggest court case in the history of computers. http://www.networkworld.com/news/2005/120105-samsung-lawsuit.html

They might be trying to charge everybody 2x the normal price to compensate, and this could have damaged relations with nv and possibly even ati. This is only speculation in my part but it seems to be the normal for these corporate giants to charge others for their wrongdoings. If this is true and the 90Nm GTX Cards are 32 pipelines this could be a help since nvidia will rely less on the memory and more on raw GPU Performance. Hopefully ATI and nvidia have other GDDR Ram manufacturers to go to, it's never safe to put all your eggs in one basket.

30 pipes was just a tagline, the article said 32 pipes. Eight quads. Seven and a half quads wouldn't work...

Bona Fide said:
Turning into Intel, aren't they? Just keep tacking on the pipelines :p
You got it all wrong dude! :( Raising clockspeeds sky-high just for the sake of claiming more MHz...that is Intel-like behaviour. Thank God even Intel realized this and is dumping NetBurst next year for a 5x more efficient Performance-per-Watt Arch. nVidia is doing it right this time. It shows that they did learn something from their FX mistake...everything happens for a reason. :)

1c3d0g said:
You got it all wrong dude! :( Raising clockspeeds sky-high just for the sake of claiming more MHz...that is Intel-like behaviour. Thank God even Intel realized this and is dumping NetBurst next year for a 5x more efficient Performance-per-Watt Arch. nVidia is doing it right this time. It shows that they did learn something from their FX mistake...everything happens for a reason. :)

Word!!! :cool:

Imagine that and the card running at over 700Mhz. That would be great. Now only if nvidia tweaks the pipes for more performance... :D

Lord_Exodia said:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28227

Check it out. The inq has been right most all this year. Usually I dont take fudo seriously but he's been pretty accurate this year. This could be an interesting year coming up. What do you guys think?

Is this the start of Moore's law for Graphics Card pipes? Will we have 64 pipes a few years later, than 128 etc..

b/c that would be SWEET

1c3d0g said:

I think he was joking =p

Is this the start of Moore's law for Graphics Card pipes? Will we have 64 pipes a few years later, than 128 etc..

not at the high end, hopefully in a few years well see unified architectures, no more of this number scheme we have running around, i fully expect the low end cards to keep the current set up (no reason to develop them other wise) - current tech will be the low end when DX10 rolls around, well hopefully

Is it just me or are the Inq. articles poorly written? I tend to not trust something that is written at a 3rd grade reading level even if the info is right... :rolleyes:

Ya i think they could at least use a spellchecker sometimes, But this year they have been pretty darn accurate which scares me. Well ill be the first in line to sell these 512 meg cards i got and buy the new ones. No pain no gain and its all on my wallet.

Marcdaddy said:
Ya i think they could at least use a spellchecker sometimes, But this year they have been pretty darn accurate which scares me. Well ill be the first in line to sell these 512 meg cards i got and buy the new ones. No pain no gain and its all on my wallet.
the inquirer is not very accurate. they just keep publishing rumors until they finally get something right. then everybody forgets about all the other crap they posted. just look back at all the crazy things they had said about the R520 before they finally got it right.

True, the INQ does post a lot of rumors that turn out to be wrong.

On the other hand, when they are right, they seem to get word out first, which is why I always track the INQ.

Marcdaddy said:

Nice so you bought $1500 worth of cards only to sell them about 2 months down the line for less than half the value.

keakdasneak said:
damn this sucks cards are coming out to damn fast.

Yeah, but games that (on average) stress the highest end cards are not, which means it's all good for the consumers. Please ATI and NVidia, keep spamming us iwht highend products faster than games can take advantage of them, I love hi-rez gaming with AA :D

Hmmm... whether the Inq is right or wrong, the next gen is gonna be (hopefully) better one way or another. I'm gonna be going for a pair of those whenever they come out (if there's no glaring flaws in em), and settle for a 7800gt in the meantime. If I had the cash for top notch SLI, I would have had it by now, but it looks like I'm going to have to wait for that.

Well, do you trust VR-Zone then? (which in turn got it from HKEPC)

NVIDIA CFO Marv Burkett and VP Michael Hara at CSFB Annual Technology Conference 2005 revealed more about the GeForce 7 series where the 90nm G72 (GeForce 7200) and G73 (GeForce 7600) will be announced in Q1 next year. G72 will be 64-bit and support TurboCache technology. Marv Burkett revealed that GeForce 7200 and 7600 series will last between one to one and half year. G71 will be 90nm and is expected to be much higher clocked at 750MHz. As for G80, the development process has been smooth and is slated for mid 2006 release which i suppose during Computex 2006. Also G80 will support Shader Model 4.0.

Source: http://www.vr-zone.com.sg/?i=3005

Only 18 pipes less than R580.

And the Inq is considered right when they post good news for Nvidia. I said this a year ago. If it's bad for Nvidia, bashing.

So since this is good news for Nvidia..the inq is praised in this case.

Yeah, everyone is now saying that it turns out that the Inq was right about the 7800 Ultra (even though it isn't called that). Hey guys, don't you remember that the Inq said that NVIDIA cancelled the new card? They were right on one account, but wrong on another.

That's what the Inq does. It posts rumors about every possible situation, then one of them has to be true.

meatfestival said:
32 pipe 7800 gtx... oh my... a little bit of cum just came out.

Damnit! You just made me spray coffee on my rig. You owe me a new keyboard
:mad: But, if you say something that funny again, we'll call it even. :p

If this is correct, than I would like to see NVIDIA release the 256Mb and 512MB versions of the new card at the same time. With the 6800 and the 7800 they released the 256Mb version which became in good dupply then they released the 512Mb version much later, in not so good supply. This time they need to release both at the same time if possible. 512Mb s never going to catch on if you have to pay more for one card than for two 256Mb cards.

I've got a 7800GTX 256mb frame buffer ,and a woppin' 24 pixel pipies ! w00t. I've got it married to a 4000+. I'm not even makin this card sweat. I still believe the procs are are current bottle neck. this cards got horrendous bandwidth that aint being used...dis make sense????

believe me
the GPU is still the bottleneck
why do I say this? Look at games like FEAR and Call of Duty 2.. both system pushers that require more hardware than is available today. Either the new cards coming out will handle it, or the cards after that will.

And whenever the Phys-x card comes out, then it will be hard to get a CPU bottleneck.

1c3d0g said:

Doesn't the Prescott have longer pipelines and more OF them than the Athlon cores? I guess if you want to go with the MHz thing, ATI is more like Intel with their 1.5GHz memory and whatnot. So yeah, it could go either way :p

LOL who said these are gonna sell for less then half there value is mistaken, I paid $549 for my XFX 7800GTX OCs when they came out i sold them for $480 a piece, when i sell these ill still get at least 65% to maybe 70% of the original price i paid which was $699. So if people think your gonna get a 7800GTX 512 card for $350 flay is smoking some crack.

Kil4Thril said:
Damnit! You just made me spray coffee on my rig. You owe me a new keyboard
:mad: But, if you say something that funny again, we'll call it even. :p

Who's taking bets for the first person to put that in there sig? :D

Err...I meant the "i just cummed" saying...

well, at any rate good luck to ATI if they try to make decent yields on a 48-pipe chip...32 is more feasible. And one other thing, do the vidcard people think PCP&C makes "Infinite Amps" PSUs or what? Eventually, if we get dual-core vidcards our PSUs will bottleneck them...lol...pats UXC400 (runs fine, even though everyone says it's crap.)

Bigjohns97 said:
the R580 is only 16 pipes with 48 ALU's

Quiet, fool! Dont let the troll *coughcoughsharkcoughcough* hear you! He'll bombard us all with his pompous rantings on future technologies that havent been released yet, all while munching on his 100-pack of chili cheese burritos.

Seriously, the next gen cards will be faster, enough said. I'll decide when theyre both out which one to buy, until then, I'm sticking with my 7800GT.

mastercheeze said:
Quiet, fool! Dont let the troll *coughcoughsharkcoughcough* hear you! He'll bombard us all with his pompous rantings on future technologies that havent been released yet, all while munching on his 100-pack of chili cheese burritos.

Seriously, the next gen cards will be faster, enough said. I'll decide when theyre both out which one to buy, until then, I'm sticking with my 7800GT.

Same here! Except I don't have a 7800 GT... yet. I'm somewhat going to play the waiting game, but I'm not going to wait for half a year with this FX 5200 PCI 128mb for the next gen lol. Especially with all this high end stuff I'm getting *points at sig*

Back