Upgrading to Gigabit, anything I should watch out for?

Time2Kill

[H]ard|Gawd
I got in this deal: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=950009&highlight=switch and picked up 5 switches. I'm currently using the switches throughout my house, but I have no gigabit NICs. I will be buying the gigabit NICs this week, although I have some equipment that I can't upgrade to gigabit (mainly my router, some satelite equipment and a small server I have). Will there be any problems communicating with the 10/100 stuff if I enable all the gigabit nics to Jumbo frames? From what I understand, the gigabit switches are backwards compatible and will do the necessary changes to send the jumbo frame packets to the 10/100 equipment or is there more to it than just plugging in my old equipment to the switch?

That's a good question. For the switch to reassemble or expand packets that the wrong size, it would have to know if the device attached to a given port supports jumbo or not. If this switch isn't managed, than I don't know how it would decide if a given port should be getting jumbo frames or not.

For a managed switch, you just set the max framesize for each port. The switch does the rest.

mikeblas said:
That's a good question. For the switch to reassemble or expand packets that the wrong size, it would have to know if the device attached to a given port supports jumbo or not. If this switch isn't managed, than I don't know how it would decide if a given port should be getting jumbo frames or not.

For a managed switch, you just set the max framesize for each port. The switch does the rest.

Alright that would make sense. So basically I need to get a managed switch, and then I can dedicate one port to handle all my 10/100 stuff.

Anybody else have any input?

Cranky fast posting Malk-a-mite continues after the quoted part below.
There are some switches that handle layer 2/3/4 stuff but at that point you are looking at things like the Cisco Catalyst 4000 series. mikeblas - if you have a look at the switch the OP is talking about it's a 50 dollar piece of plastic. So, yes mikeblas is right in that some switches can handle higher layer protocols and can help decide packet sizing... this just isn't one of those switches.

Orinthical's post in the Hotdeals forum is still the best advice you have for the network you are putting together. The whitepaper I link to below covers similar problems of putting gigE systems on the line with systems expecting 10/100.

Original ranting post continues from here :)
---------------------------------
mikeblas said:
For the switch to reassemble or expand packets that the wrong size

Hold up.............

For a switch to do what?
Switches don't do anything other than pass traffic, they don't reassemable, they don't break down, they just pass it. It is up to the Data Link layer on the sending and recievnig ends of the connections to deal with packet and queue sizes, not the switch.

For a good explanation of the whole jumbo frame concept have a quick look at this:
http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/searchNetworking/downloads/whitepaper_jumbomtu_sep2003.pdf

Edit:
Time2Kill - listen to Orinthical, he knows what he's talking about in this post:
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1028632151&postcount=74
Systems using packet sizes larger than 1500 should not be on the same network segment with your fastE (10/100) devices. Due to the difference in packet sizes, it is likely that you will have difficulty en mass talking between gigE and fastE devices and possible data corruption.

You will need to have a bridge device that can break the large packets into something more managable for your fastE devices. If you use a home-built router you can do this by adding a seperate gigE interface and telling the system to act as a bridge.

Note: The key point to enabling jumbo frames is to transfer more at once and thus lower your cpu utilization; more data in less packets equals less work for your CPU. If you do not feel the need to utilize this feature or you cannot segment your network then the above does not apply; leave all of your systems at 1500 mtu (or whatever you feel comfortable with below that) and they will communicate just fine.

The switch that brought you this post is set to give a 9600-byte packets on the ports where I've allowed it to, and 1518-byte packets elsewhere. I can verify that it's accepting larger packets (on the ports so configured) and sending smaller packets (on ports so configured) using a network sniffer.

mikeblas said:
The switch that brought you this post is set to give a 9600-byte packets on the ports where I've allowed it to, and 1518-byte packets elsewhere. I can verify that it's accepting larger packets (on the ports so configured) and sending smaller packets (on ports so configured) using a network sniffer.

So you're saying that a home appliance switch is fragmenting the packets? lol, that's a layer 3 function dude, you'd need a router on a stick configuration with seperate vlans for that to work, I believe. Unless you had a layer 3 switch, fragmentation is a portion of the IP protocol, layer 3, layer 2 is packet switching based on MAC, it doesn't fragment or have the capability to fragment. Plus, that switch you have says it uses store and forward, so I don't know why they'd use that instead of cut-through, seems like a waste to be looking for giants witha 9600 byte frame... :confused:

Okay, let's say you win.

But even with that stipulation, how do you explain what I'm observing, then? I can't understand why the frames on one side of the swtich would be larger, while on the other side the same data would appear in a smaller frame.

Have you used this "appliance"? What did you observe it doing in your setup?

I don't know either, I'd have to see it for myself. If it were a managed switch I'd set up port channel and then throw a linux box on the port with a sniffer (ethereal comes to mind) and see what exactly is happening....got me tho :p

Rabidfox said:
got me tho :p

Indeed, I do have you.

What I'm telling you is that I observe large packets being torn into smaller packets by the switch. I've used both Ethereal and Network Monitor to observe this, and that's exactly what is happening.

I never see the switch assembling smaller packets into larger ones, but it certainly does retransmit larger packets in groups of smaller ones.

How does it work, otherwise? Is there a negotiation through the switch that establishes the MDU? Was I just unlucky in not witnessing it?

MTU is determined by the IP protocol, so I don't see how a switch is fragmenting the packet into smaller frames, it would have to replicate the IP header and trailer every time it broke downt he packet. Try setting up ethereal on both ends, filtering the output with grep, and transmitting a single large packet (ping comes to mind) and see if it's it framgmented on the other side. Do this from the gige to 100e, then gige to gige. I'd be interested to see whats happening. There isn't a negotiation with the switch that determines MTU, for ethernet it defaults at 1500+overhead(1518). You have to manually set it for larger MTU's. The MTU is set by the host machine, regardless.

Rabidfox said:
MTU is determined by the IP protocol, so I don't see how a switch is fragmenting the packet into smaller frames, it would have to replicate the IP header and trailer every time it broke downt he packet.
Yep. What's the difference between that and NAT, for example? Or stateful packet inspection? I mean, it's actually simpler, isn't it?

Rabidfox said:
Try setting up ethereal on both ends, filtering the output with grep, and transmitting a single large packet (ping comes to mind) and see if it's it framgmented on the other side. Do this from the gige to 100e, then gige to gige.
That's what I'm telling you I've already done.

You're right, it is simpler, but it's still a layer 3 job, not a data link layer. That switch that you linked me was just a data link layer device, unless you're using a router on a stick with vlans or they're on 2 subnets be routed through a router, I don't think it can fragment packets. Were the devices (gige and 100e) on the same subnet?

Could be possible that the switch isn't fragmenting anything. When a computer that can use jumbo frames attempts to communicate with a computer of lower MTU the Receiver may be alerting the sender that it cannot accept that large of a MTU. Maybe then they agree upon a identical MTU that they both support prior to transmitting. At that point the sender may be backing off and agreeing to send a lower MTU to the receiver.

Setting the MTU on switch interfaces is definitely important for determining the lowest path MTU. Jumbo frame enabled hosts should have an identical MTU value configured on the switch interface. If the switch isn't configured correctly, you may then see MTU conflicts because the two computers agree upon 9000 bytes but the frames are dropped when it tries to exit/enter an interface only configured for default MTU.

Just a thought...

Malk-a-mite said:
Edit:
Time2Kill - listen to Orinthical, he knows what he's talking about in this post:
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1028632151&postcount=74
Systems using packet sizes larger than 1500 should not be on the same network segment with your fastE (10/100) devices. Due to the difference in packet sizes, it is likely that you will have difficulty en mass talking between gigE and fastE devices and possible data corruption.

You will need to have a bridge device that can break the large packets into something more managable for your fastE devices. If you use a home-built router you can do this by adding a seperate gigE interface and telling the system to act as a bridge.

Note: The key point to enabling jumbo frames is to transfer more at once and thus lower your cpu utilization; more data in less packets equals less work for your CPU. If you do not feel the need to utilize this feature or you cannot segment your network then the above does not apply; leave all of your systems at 1500 mtu (or whatever you feel comfortable with below that) and they will communicate just fine.

What I'm planning on is taking a WinXP Pro box, sticking a 10/100 nic and a gigabit nic in it. Bridge the connection, set the packet size on the 10/100 nic to 1500 and enable Jumbo frames on the gigabit nic. Should there be any problems with that.
Orinthical mentioned in the other post that a setup like that would reduce my throughput if I use WinXP, but I only need a steady rate of about 500KB/s as I'm only supporting a T1 line through and some other small stuff on the 10/100 side. I currently see a pretty steady 9,000 to 10,000KB/s when testing over my 10/100 network right now.
I plan on eventually making the switch to Linux, but right now I just need to get everything running

Time2Kill said:
What I'm planning on is taking a WinXP Pro box, sticking a 10/100 nic and a gigabit nic in it. Bridge the connection, set the packet size on the 10/100 nic to 1500 and enable Jumbo frames on the gigabit nic. Should there be any problems with that.
Orinthical mentioned in the other post that a setup like that would reduce my throughput if I use WinXP, but I only need a steady rate of about 500KB/s as I'm only supporting a T1 line through and some other small stuff on the 10/100 side. I currently see a pretty steady 9,000 to 10,000KB/s when testing over my 10/100 network right now.
I plan on eventually making the switch to Linux, but right now I just need to get everything running

If time is a problem - run with the WinXP bridged connection. When you have the time look to migrating to a more dedicated *nix box that is designed for the task.

Rabidfox said:
Were the devices (gige and 100e) on the same subnet?
Yep.

Let me make it clear that I'm not saying you're wrong -- I'm just saying it doesn't match what I'm observing. If there's some alternate explanation and I end up with a better understanding, that's awesome.

mikeblas said:
Yep.

Let me make it clear that I'm not saying you're wrong -- I'm just saying it doesn't match what I'm observing. If there's some alternate explanation and I end up with a better understanding, that's awesome.

Hrmm, I spoke with a co worker who is a CCNP and has finished the written portion of the CCIE, he said that alot of cisco/managed equipment can do it, but he wouldn't know about appliance switches. It might be built into the firmware so people couldn't screw it up, thats a nice feature :)

Back