56" 1080p DLP TV: $2699 -> $2679AR w/DVD Player + Logitech Remote = HOT?

texuspete00

Supreme [H]ardness
This is a Samsung HL-R5688W 56" 1080p DLP TV. I've seen the 720p 1080i sets for about this much, but the 1080p's have been up in the like 4ks...

I know it's tigerdirect but most complaints of them are rebates. The rebate here is 20 beans though, not the basis for the deal. Comes with DVD player and I suppose a better than stock logitech universal remote also. I know the rebate and extras aren't much, but what do you guys think about the set and price?

edit: Sorry.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1728261&CatId=1830

I think that's a pretty good price.

However, I would NEVER let someone deliver that to my house. The FedEx and UPS guys in my area are assholes. They would come to my house and climb on my roof and drop it onto my porch just to show how strong they are.

Good price though IMO.

FWIW, I don't think FEDEX or UPS touch that big of a package. Whenever I've seen a TV delivered, it was via a freight/logistics company.

Either way though...you take your chances on shipping damage, although with a freight/logistics company they're likely to take better care.

oh...and that set kicks ass. It's one of the best looking (picture wise) sets I've ever seen.

good deal.

You save on sales tax but you pay that in shipping so it evens out.
TV stand included?
Looks like theres no option for an extended warranty. Sometimes the bulbs go out before they are supposed to and those cost a lot!

cjm18 said:
good deal.

You save on sales tax but you pay that in shipping so it evens out.
TV stand included?
Looks like theres no option for an extended warranty. Sometimes the bulbs go out before they are supposed to and those cost a lot!

Yes the pedestal is included with the set.

Seriously though I hate the original poster....I would seriously give my left nut for this set.

cjm18 said:
wow. some stands cost hundreds.

Is the right more important?
With this model it's not really a stand per se -- it's made as part of the TV. The tuning electronics and controls are contained in the pedestal.

Nice TV, and a pretty good price based on my research into the 1080i version several months ago. IMHO Samsung makes the best DLP's on the market, and I had my eye on one for the new year until Sony finally introduced their SXRD models (Sony's enhanced version of LCoS). When Sony introduced SXRD technology (in projectors) a couple years ago, they were $30K. Now a 50" Grand Wega XBR is around $3.5K and a 60" is around $4.5K. The SXRD image quality basically blows everything else out of the water, including plasma, while being cheaper than plasma to boot. They're still pricey, but it's Sony so that's no surprise. And they're still projection and thus not wall-friendly like LCD and Plasma, but with their image quality I really don't care. I shall have me one by next spring, methinks. :)

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-oyHAXISVCw2/reviews/20051115/sxrd.html

We just got the 60'' Sony SXRD set last month. And wow, the best show to watch is Jay Leno, its as if you're actually there. And looks like I should throw a Superbowl BBQ too, or at least everyone will be expecting me to after seeing this behemoth of a TV.

You guys know if there is an extended warranty for this via tigerdirect because this looks like a screaming deal.

Malatov said:
With this model it's not really a stand per se -- it's made as part of the TV. The tuning electronics and controls are contained in the pedestal.

Nice TV, and a pretty good price based on my research into the 1080i version several months ago. IMHO Samsung makes the best DLP's on the market, and I had my eye on one for the new year until Sony finally introduced their SXRD models (Sony's enhanced version of LCoS). When Sony introduced SXRD technology (in projectors) a couple years ago, they were $30K. Now a 50" Grand Wega XBR is around $3.5K and a 60" is around $4.5K. The SXRD image quality basically blows everything else out of the water, including plasma, while being cheaper than plasma to boot. They're still pricey, but it's Sony so that's no surprise. And they're still projection and thus not wall-friendly like LCD and Plasma, but with their image quality I really don't care. I shall have me one by next spring, methinks. :)

i hate you. i hate this forum. i hate this site.

every time i make money i spend it thanks to you fuckers.

edit: thanks a lot, but now im 5k poorer :p.

Malatov said:

The SXRD sets are nice, however, I'd wait for next year's models, and this is why:

The current SXRD sets are not true 1080p. They display 1080p, but none of the TVs inputs accept a 1080p signal. It will only take 1080i, which it then upconverts to 1080p.

This doesn't make a big difference for most sources, since the only thing that can output 1080p right now is a computer, but with Blu-Ray and the PS3 supporting 1080p and being released next year, Sony would have quite a bit of egg on it's face if its own top of the line sets didn't accept a 1080p input signal.

Currently the only two sets that will take 1080p are the largest two HP Pavillion DLPs (which has been reviewed very favorably against the current SXRD offerings) and a couple Sammy DLP models, which take it over VGA only, not sure if this is one of them.

NulloModo said:
Currently the only two sets that will take 1080p are the largest two HP Pavillion DLPs (which has been reviewed very favorably against the current SXRD offerings) and a couple Sammy DLP models, which take it over VGA only, not sure if this is one of them.

Um... I'm sorry, but that's just not true.

There are now many sets that can take a 1080p input; but rather than listing a bunch going on speculation, I'll tell you about one from personal experience.

If I were at home right now instead of work, I would be typing this on my Westinghouse 37" LCD; which is a 1080p set and, over the DVI1 input, syncs 1:1 pixel perfect to my PC; it was detected "automagically" in Windows and 1920x1080 immediately became an option for my 6800GT.

No Powerstrip, no timing tweaking, it just works. It was only $1700 shipped, and it's HUGE. :D

(The VGA input on the Westy also supports 1080p, according to the manual, but I haven't tested it with my PC.)

If anyone else wants some more first hand accounts of what can or can't take a 1080p input, I strongly advise that you go to the avsforum. There are a lot of early adopters there that can save you some headaches and answer some questions from real experience.

CardiaK said:
Um... I'm sorry, but that's just not true.

There are now many sets that can take a 1080p input; but rather than listing a bunch going on speculation, I'll tell you about one from personal experience.

If I were at home right now instead of work, I would be typing this on my Westinghouse 37" LCD; which is a 1080p set and, over the DVI1 input, syncs 1:1 pixel perfect to my PC; it was detected "automagically" in Windows and 1920x1080 immediately became an option for my 6800GT.

No Powerstrip, no timing tweaking, it just works. It was only $1700 shipped, and it's HUGE. :D

(The VGA input on the Westy also supports 1080p, according to the manual, but I haven't tested it with my PC.)

If anyone else wants some more first hand accounts of what can or can't take a 1080p input, I strongly advise that you go to the avsforum. There are a lot of early adopters there that can save you some headaches and answer some questions from real experience.

Sorry, forgot about the Westy. That thing is so small I tend to think about it more as a monitor and less as a TV. There are a couple other direct view LCDs that do it as well.

However, there are nowhere near _many_ sets that can do it.

Wow, I walked into a circuit city, and the SXRD blew the doors off of everything there. No doubt, especially for that size. That 60 inch is twice what I wanted to spend but now I don't know I'd be satisfied with something else.

So good, I can't picture regret no matter what comes out. No huge faults jump out at you. It needs to support 1080p easy though.

nst6563 said:
FWIW, I don't think FEDEX or UPS touch that big of a package. Whenever I've seen a TV delivered, it was via a freight/logistics company.

Either way though...you take your chances on shipping damage, although with a freight/logistics company they're likely to take better care.

oh...and that set kicks ass. It's one of the best looking (picture wise) sets I've ever seen.

I work for UPS air and we start shipping air freight in january. I don't know if it' nationwide and/or if regular freight has already been in use.

solotech said:
Bit cheaper here:
http://www.drplasma.com/itemdesc.asp?CartId=9554-EVEREST-756FDAJR985&ic=HLR5688
Plus you can buy extended warranties
I've bought 2 Panasonic plasma's from DrPlasma and each deal went without issues. There support is decent but I always prefer to deal with Warranty Company or Manufacture.

Reveiw of lager model:
http://reviews.cnet.com/Samsung_HL_R5688W/4505-6484_7-31335746-2.html?tag=nav
Hmmm. I'm not interested in the Sammy DLP, but I got excited seeing that Dr. Plasma sells the 60" SXRD for <$3500 w/ free shipping! That's $1000-$1500 cheaper than everywhere else. At that price I have to wonder if they're an authorized Sony dealer -- most likely not as Sony typically doesn't allow discounts of that magnitude. But if their extended warranties are okay...

Then I checked them out at ResellerRatings.com:

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller5510.html

Ouch. Lifetime average is 4.00, six-month average is 3.33. Of the 10 reviewers, 5 are Very Dissatisfied, 2 are Somewhat Dissatisfied, and only 3 were Very Satisfied.

Even with some satisfied customers, I'm not sure I could drop that much cash on a company with that shakey a rating, even with a deal such as this. Decisions, decisions...

NulloModo said:
Sorry, forgot about the Westy. That thing is so small I tend to think about it more as a monitor and less as a TV.

It is a monitor. And that has nothing to do with size and everything to do with a tuner

Back