My Antec P150 impressions - as promised.

PoweredBySoy

2[H]4U
After ZipZoomFly took a good 6 days to get my new case to me (long live Newegg), I finally got it all together. I'm replacing a Cooler Master Praetorian. I was very happy with the Praetorian, but I was mainly bored and wanted to build something new with my computer, and I was aiming for a much quieter case. Hence the P150.

Let me start off with the bad. When I first got the case home, I spent the next couple hours transferring my parts from the old case, as well as installing the fans on the P150. Halfway through, I thought it might be a good idea to give it a power-test. I plugged the included NeoPower 430 into the wall and hit the power button. Nothing. Checking and rechecking my connections, I couldn't get it to power up. Quickly hooking up the main power leads from my old Truepower 480 brought the entire computer to life. So after 30 minutes of testing and retesting, I decided I had gotten a DOA psu. Let's just say I was upset.

Refusing to send the entire case back for RMA, I went to a brick-and-mortar store and picked up a NeoPower 480. Works like a charm. But now I'm stuck with a 430 which I plan on having Antec replace.

It took me a couple hours to get everying (re)installed and running smooth. After an evening of gaming with the case, my initial impressions are very good. I like this case a lot.

First off, it's quiet. Much more quiet than my Praetorian with 4 80mm high-speed Panaflo's. As of now, my 7800GT is the noticably loud component. I plan on installing an NV Silencer Rev 3 now. And I still have to mount the fans on rubber gromets. I'll do that next week. Then it should be even more silent.

During the build I put Vantec Stealth fans in. 2 92mm's up front and a single 120mm in the rear.

Build quality isn't quite as refined as Cooler Masters. But I must say I am a new fan of steel. The panels are very solid and heavy, I like it. Overall the case has to be a good 10 pounds heavier. No biggy. The paint may chip easily though. After being careful with it, I already have a little nick on the corner. The plastic door is solid and swings perfectly. The inside was very well thought out, and it was my main reason for choosing this case. Sound dampening material on the side panels, pleasant wire mangagement, harddrive suspension system, and large fans. And even though the color is controversial, I love the white and silver finish. Overall it may not be as sleek or noble looking at the Praetorian, I still think it looks great.

Unfortunately the case is running hotter than the Praetorian. I was hoping for opposite results. Under load, the video card is running 5 to 6 degrees celcius hotter (62) in this case, and the cpu is running 3 to 4 degrees hotter (41). Not temps to be worried about, but alas they are hotter. The cpu is a 3700+ San Diego. I thought the larger fans would make up for their low rpm's, but I guess not.

The dust filter up front does seem to hamper the inflow of air. Using the highly scientific technique of putting my hand inside the case, I compared air flow with the filter on and with it off. There is slightly more air coming into the case with it off. Although, it didn't have much benefit while testing temperatures. :( Right now I have the filter off, so we'll have to see how much dust collects inside the case because of it.

If you don't have a whole lot of hardware, looking for something a little more contemporary looking, and desire silence - this case comes Soy approved.

P1504.jpg

P1501.jpg

P1503.jpg

P1502.jpg

how dare u use a 120mm vantec stealth in a quiet system! that fan is definitely NOT quiet :p i love the case tho and i thought the airflow would be much better in it, i guess not, say wat are u goin to do with ur praetorian?

Ditch the 2 80mm fans in the front, I lie not. I had 2 Vantec Stealths, I hated them, they were loud, and they had a noise that sounded like plastic rubbing together constantly.

Looks like a good case actually, I like the front bezel, its oddly sleek and neat! <3 Antec!

nice case, unlucky bout the PSU, hopefully antec take care of it.. when i received my new case (Aurora), it initially had higher temps, but after a few things (modding :cool: ) it is cooling better.. great to hear about the silence (no pun intended :p) could suit an office/parents PC very well.

off topic: how come ur not running Dual channel?

>>>The dust filter up front does seem to hamper the inflow of air. Using the highly scientific technique of putting my hand inside the case, I compared air flow with the filter on and with it off. There is slightly more air coming into the case with it off. Although, it didn't have much benefit while testing temperatures. Right now I have the filter off, so we'll have to see how much dust collects inside the case because of it. >>>

I remove my filter when gaming while it's hot in my apartment, or when gaming without headphones (cuz my filter increases noise) See pic below. It's not pretty, but it works.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55561079@N00/73546049/

If you're up for some experimentation...you could try taping off the vent holes to the right of your pci slots (when looking at the back of the case) and removing the slot cover(s) below or above your vid card, or both, and see if temps improve. Getting more air moving directly across your vid card *might* help a bit.

N H O said:
how dare u use a 120mm vantec stealth in a quiet system! that fan is definitely NOT quiet :p i love the case tho and i thought the airflow would be much better in it, i guess not, say wat are u goin to do with ur praetorian?

Well, I'll probably do some more testing this weekend. Maybe compare the Stealth to the Tri-flow that was included with the case, etc.. Overall, the case is quieter. The obvious next choice for fans were Nexus. But those have even lower airflow. I wanted quieter fans obviously, but I didn't want to sacrifice airflow too much.

Praetorian is going to my brother.

LesterOfPuppets said:
If you're up for some experimentation...you could try taping off the vent holes to the right of your pci slots (when looking at the back of the case) and removing the slot cover(s) below or above your vid card, or both, and see if temps improve. Getting more air moving directly across your vid card *might* help a bit.

Yep, that's exactly what I was going to do this weekend. But without taking off extra slot covers. When I get that NV Silencer, it will exhaust the vid cards hot air out the back (while taking up an extra PCI slot). My thinking is that those holes in the rear distrupt the forward-to-back air flow of the case. I'll cover it up with tape and see if it does anything to temps.

pincho said:
off topic: how come ur not running Dual channel?

That actually is dual channel for the MSI board. =|

had a feeling it was, just wasnt sure cause of the colour differences :p

Okay, here's a sound update:

I pulled it apart tonight and compared the 120mm Stealth with the Antec Tri-flow that was included in the case. I put them both a couple inches from my ear (more highly scientific testing). The Stealth produces about the exact same noise level as the Tri-flow set to medium speed. They also roughly push the same amount of air. So, for all intent and purposes, 120mm Tri-flow = 120mm Stealth. When held very close to the ear, the Tri-flow had a slight 'scratching' noise coming from the bearings. The Stealth sounded smoother. But the scratching didn't contribute to the overall noise.

I decided to leave the Tri-flow in, since, if I want, it gives me the option of a lower or higher speed setting. And let me just say, the Tri-flow set on 'low' in insanely quiet. I mean, it's almost completely inaudiable. But - it hardly pushes any air. It would make a great intake at that setting, but not as an exhaust.

While dinking around with the insides, I decided to test the northbridge fan (MSI K8N Neo4) and the EGVA 7800GT fan. I've been reading reports about MSI's northbridge fan being loud. I pulled out the vid card and left all the fans off, powered it up and put an ear in. The northbridge fan isn't loud at all. Very acceptable. I reinstalled the vid card, put an ear in, and powered it up. Yeah.... I think I'm deaf in my right ear now. That 7800GT heatsink has to go. It is, by far, the loudest piece in my computer. I'll be ordering an Zalman VF700 tomorrow.

I also put rubber washers on all the fans now. That helped silence the slight vibration noises. Oh, and whatever you do, don't buy those fan-silencer-rubber-bracket things they sell on Newegg for $4 or whatever. I got perfectly sized neoprene washers at Home Depot for 15 cents each.

The quest for silence continues.

nice review...and nice cabling.

i'm going with this cas also...if/when it comes out in black.

i was thinking of 2x Nexus fans in front instead, though the filter would defintely need to come off. :(

the rest of the case looks good, specs-wise, and I'm sure Antec has been shipping out new revs of the NEO since the initial snafu with Asus.

i say go for all nexus fans and why not go for a silencer instead of the zalman since the zalman recycles the system air? juss my thots ;)

The Zalman is the Best GPU cooler out there. Just because it don't exhaust the warm/hot air out the back doesnt mean it not good. With cool airflow like what he has the warm air will be blow out the back my the fans.

TehRoflcopter said:
Ditch the 2 80mm fans in the front, I lie not. I had 2 Vantec Stealths, I hated them, they were loud, and they had a noise that sounded like plastic rubbing together constantly.

Looks like a good case actually, I like the front bezel, its oddly sleek and neat! <3 Antec!
those are 92's, and when I had a xp90 I used a 92 stealth and it was pretty quiet.

When I got my p150, I thought the PSU was dead, but after messing around with the motherboard/case connectors I found that it was working.

I put 2 92mm Nexus fans in front and keep the tri-cool 120mm fan on medium. There's very little noise at all from those fans or the PSU fan. Right now, the most noise comes from the chipset fan and the 7800GTX fan.

I like the HD suspension and it appears to help dampen the noise from my raptor pretty well. I was concerned about the rubber bands and how secure the hard drives would be, but after installing everything, they seem pretty damn secure.

The stealthed CD/DVD covers work well with my NEC (which is by far the loudest thing in the system) and takes care of the problem of finding or making white covers. I don't have a floppy drive so there was no problem there.

The cable management options for this system (especially with the modular PSU) are excellent. My ariflow seems pretty good now, though my x2 4400+ gets to about 50 after 1 hr of heavy gaming. I'm sure if I used higher CFM fans that temp would go down a bit, but after my last system which has way too many 80mm fans and sounds like a wind tunnel, I want something quiet.

Overall, I REALLY like the case. I like the color scheme, though I know many do not. It's different but I think it's a bit classy. I like it a lot and it's a nice difference from my CoolerMaster.

I asked for one for Christmas, and I'm pretty sure I'm getting one, as there is a case sized box next to the tree right now.
How much quieter is it going to be compared to my Thermaltake Tsunami?

ReDgUaRd008 said:
The Zalman is the Best GPU cooler out there. Just because it don't exhaust the warm/hot air out the back doesnt mean it not good. With cool airflow like what he has the warm air will be blow out the back my the fans.
i never said that it wasnt the best gpu cooler nor did i say that it wasnt good, im juss simply saying that the silencer might be a better solution for a case bc it can bring case temps down, try reading before posting next time

What kind of motherboard do you have, NugeRules?

I got my P150 about a week ago and I'm still waiting for the rest of my parts :eek:
And I'm real worried about this dead PSU issue and certain mobos, I've waited long enough for my PC already, I certainly don't want to wait longer for RMAing and all that, or buying a new PSU.
I'll be using it with an ABit KN8-SLI, better work, otherwise I'm gonna go nuts! :D

I was very close to buying one of these...

I have a p180 already... and wanted to throw an extra system together... heavily overclocked though, and decided that one 120mm exhaust near the CPU was not going to cut it so I got some other antec model with a mount for a fan on the side.

I really did want to test it out though. how many harddrive mounts does the p150 have? I see three there...

I would rather use this case then the p180... it looks better without a front door and rear spoiler thing that the 180 has.

Yashu, there's room for 4 if you use the trays and 3 if you use the ruber bands.

I think I'll end up using the trays, just to be 100% safe when moving the case around.

What would be the optimal configuration for fans in the P150?
I'm having trouble with my Antec Super Lanboy with the intake and exhaust.
I have the same Blue LED 120mm Antec fan for the back and the front.
I also have a Raidmax 420watt PSU with a 120mm fan.
The exhaust is stronger than the intake, and results in airflow being poopy.
Air is being sucked through the cracks around the door and around the cd drives.
I can see this because theres random lines of dust around it.
Does anyone know if i'm doing anything wrong?

Also, would the tri-cool 120mm in the back + a single 92mm nexus in the front of the p150 be any good?

Thanks

chzxmnky said:
I'm having trouble with my Antec Super Lanboy with the intake and exhaust.
I have the same Blue LED 120mm Antec fan for the back and the front.
I also have a Raidmax 420watt PSU with a 120mm fan.
The exhaust is stronger than the intake, and results in airflow being poopy.
Air is being sucked through the cracks around the door and around the cd drives.
I can see this because theres random lines of dust around it.
Does anyone know if i'm doing anything wrong?

I have the same Super Lanboy case right now. The problem with that case in stock form is that they provide a rear exhaust fan which operates at its full speed all the time. And if the rated airflow of the rear exhaust fan is equal to that of the front intake fan, then yes, the airflow will be poopy (especially if you add the PSU's own fan into the mix). I noticed that after using my previous case (a mostly steel Antec SX1035) without any front intake fans (which got caked with dust), but with two 80mm rear exhaust fans. Those fans made the space around my optical drives and the hole left behind from the removal of the front fans turn into a vacuum, which made the inside even dustier.

The solution to this problem is an adjustable multi-speed fan for the exhaust. Unfortunately, the Antec Blue 120mm fan is also a fixed-speed fan which always runs at full speed; thus, you will need to add a speed control switch for that rear fan.

Yashu, there's room for 4 if you use the trays and 3 if you use the ruber bands.

Are you saying that in the harddrive area... you have the option of using trays OR rubberbands?

That sounds nice

Yashu said:
Are you saying that in the harddrive area... you have the option of using trays OR rubberbands?

That sounds nice
yep, did you read the silent pc review they had on it?

I put my system together with the P150 the other day and I didn't have any cable for a system speaker, them manual states in the instructoins that you should connect a cable labled "Speaker" to the system speaker output on the motherboard :S

Back