Finalised the layout of my parallel water cooling.

Mysterae

Gawd
Here's a diagram of my proposed water cooling set up for my new build, 'parallel HEX'.

Schema_parallel_HEX_03.jpg

The chosen water cooling hardware is:

GPU 1 & 2 --- AC Aquagratix
CPU ------------ Cooler Master AquaTrident
NB -------------- AC Twinplex Pro (if it will fit)
HD 1 & 2 ----- Cooler Master AquaTurtles
P1 & P2 ------ Swiftech D5's
Radiator ------ ThermoChill PA120.2
Fill Port ------- DD Fill Port

This is a drawing of the manifold/reservoir that I have nicknamed 'manivoir'! This is still to be manufactured.

manivoir_01a.jpg

More details of my build parallel HEX coming soon in the Worklog section.

Edited: Updated schematic, refesh if you don't see it. The PA120.2 radiator has 3/8" BSPT threads.

look....maybe i just have a dirty mind, but i'm not really digging name "manivoir". it sounds rather like a sex toy. if you like the name, it's your build and all. i'm just saying......if you can think of something else that you like, you might want to change it up.

then again, i'm also not big fan of whoever chose the name for "the vibracore sampling technique" in earth sciences.

Two D5's and all those blocks on only a PA120.2? My goodness, your temps will suck. You NEED a bigger radiator, or a second PA120.2 to handle all that heat. If you can't do that, I suggest dropping the hard drive blocks, the chipset block, and one of the D5's, then the PA120.2 will be enough.

Cool work! Can't wait to see it assembled and running :)

EnJoY120 said:
Two D5's and all those blocks on only a PA120.2? My goodness, your temps will suck. You NEED a bigger radiator, or a second PA120.2 to handle all that heat. If you can't do that, I suggest dropping the hard drive blocks, the chipset block, and one of the D5's, then the PA120.2 will be enough.
Don't know if you noticed but he is not doing this for max overclock. chipset and hard drive blocks put very very little heat in the loop so he will be fine.

Wow, this is looking great.

As said before, though, you should look into a better cooling solution. It looks like you could easily fit 2 heater cores at the top as opposed to 1. Two bonnevilles in parallel should suit your needs. I suggest heater cores because they are cheaper and perform better.

There is also a core that I saw a while back (weapon used it) that is 4 x 120 (2 by 2) in one.

Don't forget to shroud whatever radiator/heater core you use either. I'm sure you know this, but I don't see a shroud in the 3d render.

I really admire the design though. It looks like you put a lot of thought and time into this, and it shows. I can't wait to see it finished.

R1ckCa1n said:
Cool work! Can't wait to see it assembled and running :)

Don't know if you noticed but he is not doing this for max overclock. chipset and hard drive blocks put very very little heat in the loop so he will be fine.

Yea, well despite your every effort to remove relevance from every post that I make, this one is obvious. Two D5's drop a ton of heat into the water, around 23w's per pump. Then you have a chipset which will be dumping around 40w, then hard drives around 15w each. Then you have two hot graphics cards and a hot cpu. Seriously, get a large rad, or get two...your temps will be worse than decent aircooling underload otherwise.

Thanks guys, I'll post a link here to the worklog later tonight or tomorrow.

As Enjoy and DarkenReaper have said, that's a ton of heat being pumped around those circuits, and I completely agree. One PA120.2 may struggle, but I have a few tricks up my sleeve to bring them down:

Two Cooler Master Crossflow fans:

stage_14a.jpg

These can be targeted to any area of the motherboard, particularly the chipset, pwm sinks and the RAM (which I was going to water cool too):

stage_15a.jpg

This also has the added benefit of supplying the PA120.2 and the Tagan TG580 psu with clean cool air that is almost immediately extracted from the case.

stage_16a.gif

These may add some unforseen turbulence in the case that may have an ill-effect, but you got to try it to find out huh!

All the fans and the pumps are controlled from the outside of the case so can be ramped up if required.

I'm almost finished making the plywood mockup of the case, to try everything before it's made out of perspex for the final.

And yes Dashi, the name 'manivoir' does sound odd, reminds me of the heavy metal band Manowar! Got any better suggestions :D !!

very nice man, i like the fact that your mixing 1/2" and 3/8 " tubeing in the desgin, as the others are saying, the one rad wont be enought, and you would be better off going with one large pump instead of 2 small ones, this will save on both space and heat, use the space to put in a bigger rad,(thought looking at your desgine it wont matter much on space) you may not be going for a high overclock, but a bigger rad will allow for quieter fans, and over all quiter operation 1 pump can be hidden back by the PSU, would look a littel cleaner, and give you the option of running a 120v pump so its not drawing off the psu (which would mean more heat and more strain on the system)

wait wait wait... is that a dual 120mm fan rad or a dual 80mm???

if its 120, its plenty, if its 80... well go to 120 and your golden

im working on HD water cooling models, to scale, but assumeing anything that will go into my rig will be custom machined, for your rig, what are you planing on useing, side mount water cooling _or_ top/bottom mouont water cooling?, the blocks i was working on where for side mount stacked hd's (2 hd's per block set) basicly a maze style path, with a lexan cover, let me know if your interested in the models

/edit looked at the numbers, its a 120.2, you should be good, just dont expect steller temps, but it should stay very stable with a light OC

im interested in seeing how yours turns out, and what sort of numbers it will get, im still working on the final desgin of mine, should be ready soon

im happy to see this didnt get lost to the ether

thore

Punx_Clever said:
I'd just call the thing medusa. Has much less sexual overtones...

I like that one, better than the 'hexapussy' my friend suggested :D ....

Thore, HD coolers I'm using are Cooler Master AquaTurtles and are mounted as below:

stage_11a.jpg

The problem is the two hard drives (WD Raptor 74Gb & WD SE400KD) have air holes on the face that will come into contact with the 'turtles. I'm working on a solution at the moment!

The reservoir/manifold has ball valves on all ports, primarily to help with filling and flushing, but will also help me to control the flow from each block, and the heat required to be dissapated by the rad. Well, that's my theory!

Hopefully the rad and D5's won't pose a big problem, they have already been bought and sit right next to me! I forgot to mention the fans are Cooler Master Aluminium 120mm's, quiet and efficient.

Yeah, it might have looked like it got lost in the ether, but I have been busy waiting on parts to measure, designing the case etc. Plus I got the important gubbins for this pc, DFI RDX200, X1800XT and Ballistix PC4000 and have been setting that up, overclocking, tweaking, overclocking again. If I can maintain the overclock that I have right now on air (X2 4400+ @ 2.64Ghz, 2.5-2-2-2-7-10) then I will be a happy bunny :D. I haven't even played Q4 or FEAR yet, as it will distract me from completing this mod and other crap I need to do around the house.

The crossflow fans are a great idea, but they won't drop your temperatures as much as another radiator or heater core would.

Sure, you are adding airflow, but there is a point of diminishing returns. You will already have 2 120mm fans on the radiator, so adding more airflow won't help a ton with temperatures of your components under water cooling.

The crossflow fans will definetly help with the air cooling in the case and keeping all other system components cool though.

You just need to remember that there is a threshold for each radiator/cooling component. Adding more airflow doesn't increase the amount of copper fins exposed to the air to dissipate the heat :).

Plus, if you add more cooling now, you will have more upgradability in the future, and also won't have to worry about temperatures as much in warmer environments.

But still, your work amazes me. I wish I knew how to use sketchup, or whatever 3d program you are using. I'd just hate to see you go though all of this work and get temperatures worse than high end aircooling, thats all :).

All these people saying your temps will suffer aren't considering that this is a theme build here. A dual 120 will easily keep everything well within operating spec. It should also be enough to allow for a decent overclock. The temps may not be the greatest, but it will be good enough.

Mysterae, I say dont worry about a second radiator, if you build the thing and notice that your temps aren't where you want them to be THEN worry about adding a second radiator.

I agree with E up above me, most of the time even going to a dual radiator from a single facilitates low-noise more than performance. There was even a time, not too long ago, that a dual 120 was considered a lot of radiator.

But one thing that I noticed is that it looks like you wouldn't ahve a problem putting one (or even two) extra rads on the two back panels behind the mobo if you needed them. Not sure exactly how your oging to have everything made, but they might fit, and it's something to consider.

Thanks guys, I'm hearing you.

I'm going to go with my initial idea with the first plywood mockup (as I have already cut it out ;) ), one rad and two pumps. If it doesn't cut the mustard then I'll go with another rad - already thinking of a Plan B :p .

As Punx_Clever suggested, with a little fiddling two rads could be fitted vertically on the two back panels. The pumps could be positioned underneath them minimising tube length. Shunt the motherboard forward a bit and move the crossflow fans to the two front panels. Hmmm, got me thinking now!

This is why you ask the audience!

EnJoY120 said:

A 240 will do you just fine.

Mysterae said:
Thanks guys, I'm hearing you.

I'm going to go with my initial idea with the first plywood mockup (as I have already cut it out ;) ), one rad and two pumps. If it doesn't cut the mustard then I'll go with another rad - already thinking of a Plan B :p .

As Punx_Clever suggested, with a little fiddling two rads could be fitted vertically on the two back panels. The pumps could be positioned underneath them minimising tube length. Shunt the motherboard forward a bit and move the crossflow fans to the two front panels. Hmmm, got me thinking now!

This is why you ask the audience!

after thinking about this... i relised.. your watercooling just about every thing.... the cross flow fans are really only cooling your ram (and at this point, you could WC that too if you really wanted...) it might be wise to look at haveing openings in the bottom of the case for fresh air intake, it will move acrossed the system in the same way, get rid of the noise of the 2 blower moters drop the weight of the case a little and take a littel load off the psu, blower moters are noisy beasts and are really desgined more for perssure rather than volume, if you really gotta have the fans in the case, i would put 120's in the bottom

thore

Top Nurse said:
A 240 will do you just fine.

For temps comparable to stock cooling. Why is it that I can make a statement with great detail extrapolating on each sentence, and you can reply with a simple one sentence opinion, and somehow that's the end of it? Come back when you have some REAL information to backup your claims, because otherwise you're only hurting this guy by making them.

Erasmus354 said:
All these people saying your temps will suffer aren't considering that this is a theme build here. A dual 120 will easily keep everything well within operating spec. It should also be enough to allow for a decent overclock. The temps may not be the greatest, but it will be good enough.

Mysterae, I say dont worry about a second radiator, if you build the thing and notice that your temps aren't where you want them to be THEN worry about adding a second radiator.

QFT.

Do you want to see how it's built? ;)

EnJoY120 said:
For temps comparable to stock cooling. Why is it that I can make a statement with great detail extrapolating on each sentence, and you can reply with a simple one sentence opinion, and somehow that's the end of it? Come back when you have some REAL information to backup your claims, because otherwise you're only hurting this guy by making them.

As far as I can tell, you provided no evidence that your statement was truth either. There's no need to bicker, stop taking things personally and be civil.

zer0signal667 said:
As far as I can tell, you provided no evidence that your statement was truth either. There's no need to bicker, stop taking things personally and be civil.

Um, what was this then? I didn't just pull these numbers out of my butt (with the exception of the hard drives admittedly).

EnJoY120 said:
Two D5's drop a ton of heat into the water, around 23w's per pump. Then you have a chipset which will be dumping around 40w, then hard drives around 15w each. Then you have two hot graphics cards and a hot cpu. Seriously, get a large rad, or get two...your temps will be worse than decent aircooling underload otherwise.

EnJoY120 said:
Um, what was this then? I didn't just pull these numbers out of my butt (with the exception of the hard drives admittedly).

That would be heresay and conjecture. Have you ever tested what type of temps you get on a dual radiator when under 250-300W heat load?

Erasmus354 said:
That would be heresay and conjecture. Have you ever tested what type of temps you get on a dual radiator when under 250-300W heat load?
Yeah, me and Maxx were wondering the same thing..... lol

Erasmus354 said:

Nope, but I've seen the results of such and I've seen the results of various pump tests, so I know the wattage. You guys are only disagreeing with me because you haven't seen what I've seen. It's not that I'm wrong or have ever been wrong in an argument on these forums, but that you are ignorant. If you're happy with that, then fine, but don't spread your disease to others please.

EnJoY120 said:
Nope, but I've seen the results of such and I've seen the results of various pump tests, so I know the wattage. You guys are only disagreeing with me because you haven't seen what I've seen. It's not that I'm wrong or have ever been wrong in an argument on these forums, but that you are ignorant. If you're happy with that, then fine, but don't spread your disease to others please.
Based on the commercial called your signature file, I would say you have done nothing but read alot. It's easy to sit back read forums and pay for people to mod your shit.

I own valveforums and hl2online, and I'm a newsposter and reviewer at techpowerup. About your comments about paying people to mod my shit? Um, I don't have a dremel, so yes I need others to do my case mods, so? It's just amazing how you can keep avoiding having to confront your ignorance by attempting to mock me in other ways whenever possible. Seriously kid, grow up and talk with the grown ups, or sit this one out.

Yay for another flame war in the WC section!

Enjoy, you've got a PM.

Everyone else and their dogs, can we just stop bickering and fighting over who has the biggest... er... who knows more and actually help the guy?

OP, good luck with this, it looks like it'll be fun and interesting to build, not to mention highly tunable to suit your needs.

EnJoY120 said:
I own valveforums and hl2online, and I'm a newsposter and reviewer at techpowerup.
Just when you think I saw it all, a great line. Siged

R1ckCa1n said:
Just when you think I saw it all, a great line. Siged

I told you that because I figured that's what you were referring to when you called my sig a comercial... Man, I'm only realizing this now, but I think I've been arguing with a 12 year old, that could be the only explanation.

Now now gentlemen, lets be nice.

There is so much angst in the water cooling section, we need to cool down (now that wasn't a very apt thing to say now was it?) :D

Mysterae said:
Now now gentlemen, lets be nice.

There is so much angst in the water cooling section, we need to cool down (now that wasn't a very apt thing to say now was it?) :D

I really would like to. Honestly, who the hell like arguing about stupid shit at a place where they are trying to relax? I hate it. I just wish I could make a comment without being told I'm wrong just because someone else "thinks so" and being threatened banning because I defend myself. This whole situation has been nothing short of ridiculous.

I think Mysterae would prefer to talk about his watercooling setup rather than much of the BS that's been posted. Please take arguments to PM, maybe an exchange of addresses or an arranged playground meeting after school/work is in order? :p

Who are you getting to make that manifold/reservior? I'm looking for something alot like that.

Mark305TBI said:
Who are you getting to make that manifold/reservior? I'm looking for something alot like that.

It's a company in the UK that will be machining it out of solid plastic, rather than gluing bits together, the same folk that did the manifolds. I haven't got a quote from them yet, but should soon.

That quad rad above looks awesome, but I don't have the space for it really! I was trying to make the case as small as possible.

Back