Hello World (Mod)! - Intake for Lian Li V1000

j.eaton

n00b
Hello, first time mod poster, bare with me. Title says it all really so no speech, not big on that.

Didn't like the temps and got suckered into the whole V1000 mojo of seperate heat areas and only one fan needed exhaust heat for the upper portion. Uh-huh. Not a side window fan but still like the look of the case so out came the tools. Pictures say a 1000 words so, here goes. If you want explanation on what something is just post and I will write back.

intake001.jpg

intake002.jpg

intake003.jpg

intake004.jpg

intake005.jpg

intake006.jpg

intake007.jpg

intake008.jpg

intake009.jpg

Fingers beware. =)

Does that work well? looks really neat, nice job!

i've been thinking of doing something like this to my case but i have only 4 bays and 2 are taken

Im impressed. Its hard to moda Lian-Li and not kill the stock clean look, you pulled it off well, Plus its compleatly un-doable... (is that a word)

-Also I think you choice of Rom drive helped pull off that look, I dont think it would look as good with a standard desing CR-ROM face plate. That drive face plate desing matched the fan plate you made well

Quesion, is that painted wood? or plexi/acrilic?

EDIT: BTW: im glad too see someone that will finally admit that the V1000s do not have the best cooling desing. So many swear its so great... no intake = no good....

almost looks like a subwoofer!

really nice looking mod...very understated.

tanjO:
Results are good so far. Numbers are skewed right now do to winter and basement placement. Room temp is 64F, Case Temp 70F, CPU is 78F (AMD 2500@3200) after about 3 hours of BF2. Air and pseudo water (Aquagate R120)

I(illa Bee:
Completely reversable, and in fact the bays behind the fan are useable for harddrives and what not if desired. I have no need. The DVD drive does have some nice styling in my opinion, almost a stealth but not quiet. Was tempted to try and take the silk screening off but doesn't bother me too badly.

Setup is a complete silver/black motif from the Samsung 997 monitor to Logitech DiNovo.

It is a 'wood' front. Actually MFD board (Manufactured Fiber Density) No grain pattern, smooth finish easy to work with and accepts all forms of paints rather nicely. And cheap, a 4 foot by 2 foot peice goes for about 5 bucks at the local home depot.

dj_2004:
Cheap but clean is my moto. 8 wood screws, 4 pop rivots, a 36" bar of aluminum angle offset (about a foot and a half needed at most) and a way over kill peice of 4'x2' MFD gets me out the door at 10 dollars. Fan, paint, and tools borrowed from brother... though can't exactly return the paint.

Thanks for the comments.

That kicks ass, ESPECIALLY for a first time mod. I'm very, very impressed, and it opens up some new ideas for me.

Asian Dub Foundation said:
nice job man! but beware of dust!

its not on the floor and hi room looks clean, so dust shouldnt be a problem. My case still looks new on the inside, almsot no dust at all even after 4 months of use. It all depends on the room..

u should find one of those plastic easter eggs and use either the top portion or the bottom portion and glue it to the middle of the fan and paint it black

looks really nice! i want to reach out and touch those exposed fans blades (won't really hurt will it?) from here!

looks good only i think it would look even better if you had the black version of that case. maybe you could paint it silver?

Nicely done.
I have a question about the placement of the fan...
Why is located offcenter on the panel?

I think because then the air flow goes right over the video card.

Really cool mod there. :)

yep thats very nice and your look there works well. i had been considering something like that for sometime butt didnt have the tools and wasnt surre how i wanted to implement it more so than the way my "intake"fan works now. but i did have to get a dust filter cuz it wass pulling more in.

looks lovely

Thank you all for the comments. Figured this would have floated to page three by now. =)

todd2fst4u:
Crossed my mind to paint it silver, but then the drive would be PTA to change color. As mentioned above got a whole black/silver thing going on. Maybe I will take a picture.

Fanatik:
The fan is a CoolerMaster 120x38mm. The casing is a cast aluminum and looks a right bit mint. I run it's sister fan for an exhaust over an Aquagate mini 120 radiator out the back. They cost a bit, and push 56 cfm but they run very quiet even at full volt. The loudest thing in my case is my hard drive.

sprocket:
I located the fan closer to the bottom for both pratical and style reasons. Practical in that there is enough space where I could lop off the top and have a second drive (in total the fan takes three drive bays) if I ever needed. For style placing it low centers the focus on the middle of the case, the 'natural' resting point for the eyes for weighting. When the weighting of an object approaches neutral center it produces a calming effect in the viewer which is the base style lian li achieves with its case and one I wanted to carry through. Sorry, degree in design kicking in there pay no attention and just go with a 'it looks good.' Lastly, and more of a 'huh, didn't think of that' is that it does indeed line up with the north bridge, graphics card, and the tops of the memory sticks. So good airflow characteristics too. Bonus. :)

well then sir i would like to see more pics cuz i know the coolermaster WC unit is all black and yea i like the silver and black if it works. and that is the best spot cuz it does line up perfectly to push air over the good components.

more pics! well done! i dont see any other way for it to work as well as you did it here. we like clean looking designs.

j.eaton said:
sprocket:
I located the fan closer to the bottom for both pratical and style reasons. Practical in that there is enough space where I could lop off the top and have a second drive (in total the fan takes three drive bays) if I ever needed.
Goal achieved.
For style placing it low centers the focus on the middle of the case, the 'natural' resting point for the eyes for weighting. When the weighting of an object approaches neutral center it produces a calming effect in the viewer which is the base style lian li achieves with its case and one I wanted to carry through. Sorry, degree in design kicking in there pay no attention and just go with a 'it looks good.'
I produced commercial graphics for several years so I'm familiar with those conventions. Lastly, and more of a 'huh, didn't think of that' is that it does indeed line up with the north bridge, graphics card, and the tops of the memory sticks. So good airflow characteristics too. Bonus. :)
The million dollar question.
If you added the (potential) second drive, how would the fan's ideal visual placement be affected?

Well if the second drive was added, the negative space and lighting would still keep the weight in the center. The whole 1k word thing... a photoshop for ya.

intake009a.jpg

Looks very clean and quite clever. The only problem I would have is that I would not be able to leave my cats alone at home while the PC is running. They are always playing aorund the PC, I'd hate to see one of them get their tail caught in there! :D

404NotFound said:
Looks very clean and quite clever. The only problem I would have is that I would not be able to leave my cats alone at home while the PC is running. They are always playing aorund the PC, I'd hate to see one of them get their tail caught in there! :D
It would serve em right for furrin up your computer!
biggrin.gif

j.eaton said:
It is a 'wood' front. Actually MFD board (Manufactured Fiber Density) No grain pattern, smooth finish easy to work with and accepts all forms of paints rather nicely. And cheap, a 4 foot by 2 foot peice goes for about 5 bucks at the local home depot.

Nice clean mod. But it's acually MDF or Medium Density Fiberboard. I've done alot of work with it, but I don't use it for computers because I watercool and MDF + water = mess.

Thats pretty rad, I just sat a fan in the bays right behind the drive bezels on my computer but this is pretty cool.

I have the v1100B.

Very nice, and cool...ok crappy pun :rolleyes: , but I for one like the black that accents the silver case IMO.

Back