Timeless GROMACS are live

Mohonri

Supreme [H]ardness
In case nobody noticed, the rumors have come true. There are now timeless GROMACS WUs. This means that all you guys running timeless Tinkers on your Athlon XPs to get more points are going to get shafted. At this point, it looks like projects 752-755 are the new timeless GROMACSes. I know I've had several of them lately, and they stink.

that they do... 2-3 pph on some of my machines.... Does this mean that there will be no more timeless tinkers and only timeless gromacs? Maybe the intel chips are going to be the new timeless machines?

Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

I heard a rumor that timeless Tinkers were to be phased out and replaced with timeless GROMACS. The GROMACS core is apparently much faster than the Tinker core at accomplishing real work, so it's preferable from Stanford's POV.

Damnit. This is going to hurt T-Bird production. I was planning on getting another T-Bird system up and running before too long. :( Gromacs do not do that well on them, but I'll do it anyway. I'm not going to shut down a system or not bring it online just because it's not going to make as many points as it would have before.

This will really hurt my PII 266 dually. I've never tried to run anything but timeless tinkers on it so I have no idea how this will affect it. What the hell, it's not like it's a points monster even when I have it up and running. I really do need to turn it into a firewall or something anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a phasing out of the Tinker core. It's old and has been around for a long time now. I thought they were going to phase it out long before now. If you notice, you rarely get a Tinker as a regular WU if you have the client set to not accept timeless WU's.

I've been getting a bunch of 241 pt tinkers the last week or so on all my boxes. My 3 home boxen will spit them puppies out in 20-23 hrs each. Please don't kill em off :eek:

OSUguy98 said:
that they do... 2-3 pph on some of my machines.... Does this mean that there will be no more timeless tinkers and only timeless gromacs? Maybe the intel chips are going to be the new timeless machines?

How fast are those machines?
I'm getting about 1.5PpHpGhz on both AMD and PIII.

I'll have to get back with you on those projects 752-755.... I'll have to look at my EMIII log tonight... early tomorrow.... I can't remember what machine(s) I got them on right now...

but as for the timeless tinkers, my P4 2.66 here at work puts out about 4.5pph while I'm here at work, and 5-5.2 pph overnight.....

OSUguy98 said:
I'll have to get back with you on those projects 752-755.... I'll have to look at my EMIII log tonight... early tomorrow.... I can't remember what machine(s) I got them on right now...

but as for the timeless tinkers, my P4 2.66 here at work puts out about 4.5pph while I'm here at work, and 5-5.2 pph overnight.....

So your getting about 1.9PpHpGhz, which is slightly above the lowest, base on the FAQ of 1.64 PpHpGhz, or 39PpDpGhz.

But once again - was the figure of 2-3pph based on a per Ghz or per machine? And which clock rate? AMD's exaggeration, AMD's real or Intel real?

For instance on these 75? I was getting as low as 180ppd (two instances on the X2 3800+)
That works out to:
7.5 pph per machine
3.25 pph per core
1.88 pph per actual Ghz
0.99 pph per AMD rating of 3800 per core.

With the 1141's I was getting as high as 500ppd.
20.8 pph per machine
10.4 pph per core
5.21 pph per actual Ghz
2.74 pph per AMD rating of 3800 per core.

Which to me is quite a wide variation.

As timeless units I have no problem with lower points (set 'em and forget 'em), but if I pay larger bucks for more performance, and more electricity, to try and do better for science I feel a bit shafted when my $300 system barely outperforms my $100 machine on total output.

all the numbers I gave were per-machine.... an in the case of the intel I listed, it's a 2.66 @2.66....

I'm heading home early today, so I'll try and stop at home and post numbers from my AMDs at home..... for anything AMD, I always use the actual clock.... so my Sempron 2200+ is OCed to 1.67GHz, and that's what I use.... I do have one intel chip at home, a P4 2.4C @ 3.0.... I was basing the 2-3 off of memory and could be wrong (I've been known to be)....

Okay.... I only have 1 protien in the 752-755 range......

P4 2.4C @ 3.0.... w/ HT..... and it runs about 2.923 pph for a p753_vln2.8nopbc, according to EMIII

The lowest pph I have for my boxen (Athlon 2000+, Semron 2200+, Dually 1700+, P4 [email protected]) is 1.7pph on a p1703... the lowest 700 series I have is 2.45pph

Keep on Folding!!

Back