Life hits ABIT hard...

InorganicMatter

[H]F Junkie
http://www.digitimes.com/mobos/a20051226A7037.html

Not to start a flame war, but I blame this on their adoption of Fatal1ty. They have shifted their focus from producing high-quality products to producing whatever gimick is selling well. I would really hate to see them go under, they have made some really good products in the past. *looks at IC7*

IC7 has been the only thing I've owned of Abit, I absolutely love it, I know their boards have been awsome in the past, especially to OCer's I believe.... It would suck to see them go under, but when you take risks, somtimes you don't get a reward.

As an Abit only user, this news is disappointing. I hope they get their ship righted.

I hate to be the doomsayer, but it looks like Abit is going down for the count! Too bad, they've made some decent boards in the past.

i am an Abit user as well but i dont blame their downfall on branding. i think their biggest problem right now is brand awareness. when the NF7-S and the IC7 were kings in their own classes that brought them business across their whole line. that money is now going to DFI and ASUS ect. i love my NF7-S and i really love my Fatal1ty AN8-SLi. both real quality products. I also dont belive that Fatal1ty puts his name on gimmicky stuff. all of the products his name is on are quality products that are fit for gamers. some of them might not be the absolute best or might be a tad overpriced but thats what branding is about. I had the opportunity to talk to Jon (Fatal1ty) at length earlier this year at CPL summer in texas after his big win against Voo. Being a hardware freak thats mostly what we talked about. that conversation is the reason i have the board i do now. ( I also ribbed him a bit about ATi but thats a !!!!!! thing :p ) what i walked away from after talking with him is that he is interested in making gamer boards (we are talking mobos here not other stuff) and i liked that. most boards are enthusiast boards or value or workstation whatever. if you look at the AN8 though it is a bit different. sure it has lights and stuff on it. but its more about what is missing. parallel port, serial ports, second lan adapter 3% of us use, secondary raid controller, and so on. its like a lightweight hotrod. you dont get AC, or power windows but the paint looks great and she runs 8's in the quarter.

I just got my AN8 Ultra since it was a better match for my needs that ASUS offering. The balance sheet for the company does not look too great. The board has firewire for my video needs and enough PCI slots that I need for my GigaStudio. I did not need the SLI version and helps in not having the PCI slots blocked.

I personally gave up on ABIT since I never had much longterm sucess with their boards.

I am guessing I am not the only one if their current sales are so low.

My last Abit motherboard was a KA7. It died after two years because too many of its capacitors had blown.

Oh well.

sucks man.. abit had such a thing with the IC7 and the like... sucks to see it go downhilll like that... and paying big bucks to faketality certainly dosent help

I had ALWAYS used Abit exclusivly in my personal PC whenever building something until my upgrade to PCIE. I grabbed the Biostar in my sig because of MATX... now I feel bad. :(

This is why I get pissed when people will buy from a company just by name. Sure, asus has made some darn good stuff and you would normally expect everything you get to work, this just is another thing to prove my point :).

seanmcd said:
/me cradles my Abit BP6 board

hehe, I still have my BP6 with dual 366s @ 550 ! My current setup is an Abit MB but I've used many brands over the years. It wasn't my 1st choice. I had a pair of bad Epox MBs, tried to jump on the DFI bandwagon but didn't want to invest time into mastering all the bios options. I settled with the AN8 Ultra which was rock solid, then stepped up to the AN8 SLI a short time later, also rock solid. They've had some so-so products but no more/less than some of the other "players". I hope they get it together. I think they paved the way for tweaking options that guys like us want. They were doing it when it was ballsy & outside of the box & all others followed.

I have built six computers with various Abit mainboards (KT7A-RAID, IC7-MAX, NF7-S, AV8, etc.). All of them were excellent performers with outstanding features.

The KT7A-RAID that I built for my Grandmother is still running strong. My NF7-S (secondary rig) has been running overclocked since I purchased it in March of 2004, rock stable.

Abit has always been my personal favorite.

This is disappointing news indeed.:(

I haven't bought an Abit board in quite a while. I think I have 3 Abit Socket 370's and a Socket A (KG7) that were dead from blown capacitors. We saw a lot of this in the shop I used to work at. I started recommending other brands as being more reliable.

People buy what works, and Abit wasn't working for a while there. They lost a few customers. It's hard to re-build trust... I'd like to see them pull through, as they had some innovative idea's in motherboards. And some were great for overclocking.

Sad to see them go.... And Faketality (Great nick!) was a bad choice. I don't buy into endorsements and shit. I try to stay away. I can slap Shaq's name on a piece of shit and call it "Shazaam!", and it'd still be a piece of shit... :D

Ive bought 2 abit boards... both ic7-g max2 advances... and recommended another one...(can't remember the name now... the L775 with an AGP slot)

my first board worked GREAT ... until the northbrige fan died... I bought another one because I was worried my RAID 0 wouldn't pull over to something else. they had redone the heatsink a little and fan. (slighty shorter and wider). I love the way the abit board runs and their support for overclockers... it will be a sad day if they fall...

had a couple of Abit boards (3 maybe) a socket 423 RAID board that took rambus, a NFS-7 with a mobile barton and a KV8-MAX3. A64 is where they really lost it IMHO, they stuck with via for way too long, and even when they went to nVidia their offerings were mediocore.

'Tis a cutthroat business.

How many of us first got into mainstream overclocking because of the BH6 rev.2?

Those were the days.

I've had this Abit board for over a year and it's been terrific. There should be enough room for everybody in the this field. Probably bad decisions in management that we don't know about.

I have TRIED to use abit mobos in my machines, as a matter of fact I just bought an AN8 for a red themed mod for LANs and I must say that it is exactly what I expected it to be. It is a good performer, ocs well, its stable, and it fits my needs for my LAN machine perfectly.

Dang :( I hate to see them go. I was still using my Abit BE6 motherboard up until last year when I decided to upgrade. That baby just kept running like a champ :D

I'm still regretting choosing MSI when I upgraded :mad:

I absolutly loved my IC7-G, probably the best board i ever owned.

But then I got this AV8-3rd Eye, and from the AGP lock problem to ALL the others, it is a stable, but "bad" board for what i want to do with it.

I probably wont buy abit again, unless they make a truly noteworthy product, but I wont let their name choose the winner or a tie anymore, thats for sure.

I liked their old boards (BH6, BE6II). The IC7 had problems with the northbridge fan which more or less plagued it. A personal friend had to get it replaced at least once. My AV8 had problems with temp monitoring. Meh... It's hit or miss with just about any company now but I'm going to stay away from this one. Until I get stuck with someone else's lemon. lol

Meh, I own an A-Bit VA-10 S462 Board that served me well for years now. Overclocks OK but what do you expect, I could tell this board wasnt designed for oc'ing. They've had some breakthroughs in the buisness and it would suck to see them just drop from the market.

farscapesg1 said:
I'm still regretting choosing MSI when I upgraded :mad:
QFMFT

in my perfect world Abit would stay alive and MSI would die a horrible, gruesome death.

i had an IS7-E a while ago... loved that board... :( i also built a system around an NF8 i believe, rock solid.

i was going to buy one of their NF4 offerings, but the asus board seemed to be giving people less problems, and ive had really good luck with asus... i agree with the poster above who said that they lost it with the A64, buddy of mine has some NF4 board and absolutly HATES it.

I think it's uninsightful to blame ABIT's problems on the Fatality boards. They've been playing games with their financials for years, and just aren't generating enough revenue to covert their debt. This problems predate the Fata1ity products.

sac_tagg said:
http://www.digitimes.com/mobos/a20051226A7037.html

Not to start a flame war, but I blame this on their adoption of Fatal1ty. They have shifted their focus from producing high-quality products to producing whatever gimick is selling well. I would really hate to see them go under, they have made some really good products in the past. *looks at IC7*

Abit had problems before teh Fatal1ty stuff came out. Abit has been late to market with many products and has failed to do anything more than add gimmicks to their products. Plus their product portfolio isn't really that great.

Lack of compelling products is what is killing them. That and bad management and financial decisions.

:rolleyes:

I have the IC7-MAX3 in my server board right now with a 2.4C....the intel overclockers dream. I love the board...it was the single greatest board I ever owned...until of course I purchased the DFI LanParty NFII UltraB. It seems that DFI is really taking the tweaker and hardcore OCer market by force. I think the decision to adopt to the Fatal1ty moniker was a huge mistake. JW may be a great guy, but quite simply put, sex sells....not gamer dudes. I think that move to the fatality line was seen as the 'selling-out' point for abit. I hope they do stick around though.....

For those of you that are blaming the Fata1ity endorsement are barking up the wrong tree. The reason ABIT is in financial ruins is due to some high end execs having their hands too f’n deep in the cookie jar. As a mater of fact the Chinese government ran them out of town for what they did.
Linkage

I find it amusing (sad?) people are using the IC7 as an example of what a great Abit board is. I've been running an IC7 for the past two years and have had so many things go bad on it. From the NB fan failing after two months (acctualy it started squealing after two months, I learned to live with the squeal for a year before it finaly died), to the infamous sound/mic issue which Abit never once responded, to a million other little things inbetween.

I'm upgrading my system this month and have already ordered a DFI (Ultra-D) to replace my IC7, I didn't even bother looking to see what Abit had to offer. If the IC7 is what people consider a great Abit motherboard, I'd hate to be someone who owns one of Abit's not-so-great boards.

I had my S462 VA-10 when Socket A was in its early stages. This board dosnt want to oc past 200mhz fsb yet, but I decided this might be a bios thing, so im upgrading bios later. If it dosnt work, hell, im guessing this board just wasnt designed for that kind of thing.

abit boards are a joke. their intel boards were pretty decent though but overall crap.

zpackrat said:
For those of you that are blaming the Fata1ity endorsement are barking up the wrong tree. The reason ABIT is in financial ruins is due to some high end execs having their hands too f’n deep in the cookie jar. As a mater of fact the Chinese government ran them out of town for what they did.
Linkage

I agree that some execs did wrong, but that has nothing to do with how sales & marketing performed.

Sir-Fragalot said:
Lack of compelling products is what is killing them. That and bad management and financial decisions...

QFT

mdameron said:
*covers AI7's ears*

Damn you all!!!

*gently caresses AI7*

ROFL!!!! :D

Back