LCD DVI Refresh Rate Settings

Oline61

Gawd
Is it true that you cannot go over 60hz on a DVI/LCD setup. I have a VX924 which supports 75hz at 1280x1024, but recommends 60. Would it not make more sense to use 75hz?

from what i understand you can go higher, but it really dosnt do anything good.

I had the problem for the longest time with my 17inch samsung LCD that its refresh rate was just under 60 so i had to have it at like 56 or else i woudl encounter serious problems when viewing realy dark images.

So I can go to 75? The reason I'm asking this is because if I enable display adapter scaling in forceware my framerate jumps to 75hz. The drivers are still set to 60hz, but it makes no difference. Even refresh rate overrides don't make any difference. This is an extremely odd problem to say the least.

I've always been able to use 75Hz on DVI. The only benefit was if you were to use vsync, then your framerates would be capped at 75fps instead of 60fps.

But wait....can't the human eye only detect up to 60fps...as in, that extra 15fps jump to 75fps is useless??? :confused:

Indolentron said:
I don't think that's for certain.
Maybe not.....I wonder, though, as it has been said a lot....but it's almost 1 in the morning, so I may just be taling out of my ass and not know it! :p ;)

lesman said:
Maybe not.....I wonder, though, as it has been said a lot....but it's almost 1 in the morning, so I may just be taling out of my ass and not know it! :p ;)

i thought it was just over 30 that the brain could comprehend....

lesman said:
But wait....can't the human eye only detect up to 60fps...as in, that extra 15fps jump to 75fps is useless??? :confused:

people say that if they knew (doctors). people say dogs can only see black&white, how do they know that, were they a dog in their previous life?! i think u can notice higher frames rate, if that wasn't true, how come when my monitor is at 60 and when i change to 70hz i can see a difference?!

our eyes do not see in "frames per second"
it's the fluctuations that cause strain

There are two different things - refresh rates monitor displays and refresh rates monitor can accept.

Some digital monitors have one native refresh rate, usually 60 Hz. They have frame buffer that will convert any incoming signal to the displays native refresh rate – the excess frames will be thrown away or the frames can be repeated when necessary. Feeding those monitors with anything other than their native refresh rate is pointless and will cause motion judder.

Now, there are also some digital monitors that can sync their panel’s refresh rate to the input signal – just like what CRT’s would do. In this case, setting the refresh rate to 75 Hz will give you full 75 Hz image.

Since both can accept many refresh rates, how do you tell which kind of monitors you have? Well, you have to look for the judder with different refresh rates.

I refuse to use anything below 85hz. 60hz and 75hz both cause the monitor to blink at me- and yes, I can tell the immediate difference between all three, including which of the three a CRT is running at. Also, eyes don't see frames- they see differences, attempting to bind human sight to movie technology is pointless.

I have a 2005 and the 60 hz on it is fine for me. I was used to a NEC FE991 set on 100 hz and haven't had any headache problems. I think LCD and CRT standards can't be carried over to each other. So 60 hz on LCD != to CRT 60 hz, been hearing that not sure if it holds though.

dantestd said:
I have a 2005 and the 60 hz on it is fine for me. I was used to a NEC FE991 set on 100 hz and haven't had any headache problems. I think LCD and CRT standards can't be carried over to each other. So 60 hz on LCD != to CRT 60 hz, been hearing that not sure if it holds though.
Response time blurs the flickeriness of slow refresh.

LCDs don't really have a refresh at least not in the same sense as CRTs.

On CRTs the picture is diplayed 60 times a second when set at 60hz. So even if you are displaying a photograph it still drawn 60 times a second.

On LCDs with DVI regardless of refresh rate, the image will be drawn only when it changes. It doesn't matter if you set refresh rate at 60 or 120hz. The pixels will only be redrawn when the image changes.

Indolentron said:
Response time blurs the flickeriness of slow refresh.

LCDs on DVI don't flicker, you could set them even at 1hz and it still won't flicker.

There was an old monitor at a place I used to work and I swear it was like sub 50 hz ( crt ) and nobody could use it for more than 30 seconds without wanting to barf

it was the monitor used for an inventory terminal

The reason dogs can only see in black and white is because they have no cones in thier eyes =) But ya Im pretty sure an LCD doesnt flicker..so changing the refresh rate wont accomplish much. probably just wear your monitor out faster

It doesn't matter on an LCD since it doesn't have a refresh in the same way CRTs do. 60Hz would just mean it would update whatever it needed to on the screen every 16.66ms. But if nothing is moving around, its just watching the signal for changes and discarding the rest.

If an LCD flickers, the Hz wouldnt matter anyway, it would be the backlight doing it. Then you need to get it replaced.

UrielDagda said:
It doesn't matter on an LCD since it doesn't have a refresh in the same way CRTs do. 60Hz would just mean it would update whatever it needed to on the screen every 16.66ms. But if nothing is moving around, its just watching the signal for changes and discarding the rest.

If an LCD flickers, the Hz wouldnt matter anyway, it would be the backlight doing it. Then you need to get it replaced.
QFMFT

Back