Replacing icons.

Obi_Kwiet

2[H]4U
Hey, I have a .icl file and a .iconset file. How do I use these files to replace my windows icons?

If you right click on whatever icon you want to change, and select teh "change icon" option, it'll load up a window that shows your available icons. From there, you can choose browse up on top and then select the new icon file you'd like to pull the image from. Not too hard, justa couple steps. Hope that helps a bit.

For system icons (My Computer, Recycle Bin, etc), you'll need to go to the display properties, desktop tab, then click on customize desktop. The general tab will let you change the systems desktop icons. At least for WinXP

I believe you will need that .icl file changed to a .dll file using some icon editing software, or you'll need a way of extracting the icons out to .ico files first. I have all of my custom icons in a single .dll file that I use, using the File Types screen under Explorer > Tools > Options.

How do I change the icon for things like .zip files, or make all the folder icons change instead of just one?

For file types, go to the Folder Options (from the control panel or some explorer menu). On the file types tab, click on advanced and you can change the icons there.

I don't know how to change all of the folder icons. WindowBlinds or something similar should be able to do that if there is no other way.

Obi_Kwiet said:
How do I change the icon for things like .zip files, or make all the folder icons change instead of just one?
You can do all of that by following my instructions above....including folders.

Back