Intel's Roadmap for 2006

chrisf6969

[H]F Junkie
Let's discuss the new stuff coming out in 2006.

2006 looks like its going to be a big year for Intel with a lot of new releases. I'm going to put some basic stuff in here, and you guys with more technical knowledges please spout it off in here & edumacate us!

Just off the top of my head:

1st Presler released, basically an 800 series dual core on the 65nm process. looks like they'll hit 4.0 - 4.2Ghz with decent air cooling!

2nd Yonah in single & dual core versions, new logos "Core Solo" & "Core Duo" looks to be a fancy dothan with new features, new shared cache, and faster FSB on 65nm process

3rd Conroe

4th Merom

I really don't know a lot about Conroe & Merom so I left it blank (and why I want to discuss these more!)

Lets keep it clean. keep it Intel info only. NOT Intel vs AMD competition.

chrisf6969 said:
Let's discuss the new stuff coming out in 2006.

2006 looks like its going to be a big year for Intel with a lot of new releases. I'm going to put some basic stuff in here, and you guys with more technical knowledges please spout it off in here & edumacate us!

Just off the top of my head:

1st Presler released, basically an 800 series dual core on the 65nm process. looks like they'll hit 4.0 - 4.2Ghz with decent air cooling!

2nd Yonah in single & dual core versions, new logos "Core Solo" & "Core Duo" looks to be a fancy dothan with new features, new shared cache, and faster FSB on 65nm process

3rd Conroe

4th Merom

I really don't know a lot about Conroe & Merom so I left it blank (and why I want to discuss these more!)

Lets keep it clean. keep it Intel info only. NOT Intel vs AMD competition.
3rd Conroe/Allendale processors for desktop based on NGMA with 4MB/2MB shared cache respectively reach is Dual Core, EM64T TDP 65W.

4th Merom, processor for mobile based on NGMA with 2MB shared cache and Dual Core, EM64T TDP is 35W.

Everything will be on 65nm, process. Also Cedar Mill based Pentium 4's and Celeron's, with the Pentium 4 basically replacing the 6x0 Series, and new Celeron's with 512KB of cache.

Merom will be 4mb cache FYI..... well, at least they'll have a version that is. Also, it is supposed to go 1066 FSB where as Conroe will go 1333FSB.

Nothing I have seen points to that yet, for the moment I beleive Merom will be 2MB, as if it was 4MB it would basically be the size of Conroe, which isn't that small.

Some rumors do point to 2MB/4MB version of Merom, but I think Intel will keep it to 2 on laptops and leave the multiple cache sizes to desktop.

Well, the Meroms that I have used were all 4mb cache, so I would say that there is a version with 4mb. :)

Poncho said:
Well, the Meroms that I have used were all 4mb cache, so I would say that there is a version with 4mb. :)
Interesting, this does basically gurantee that it will be more expensive to produce then Yonah.

Merom will be 4MB , but only Conroe XE will have 4MB L2 too....Sadly basic Conroe only has 2MB L2... :rolleyes:

As for the FSBs , Merom is 667& 800MHz capable while Conroe goes for 1066&1333 ( XE version )....

I personally expect Montecito and Tulsa...Desktops are boring , Servers rock!

Imagine a 3.4Ghz dual core , 800Mhz FSB , 2x1MB L2s , 16MB L3 shared monster....Now imagine a server with 32 of those...Yummy!

savantu said:
Merom will be 4MB , but only Conroe XE will have 4MB L2 too....Sadly basic Conroe only has 2MB L2... :rolleyes:

As for the FSBs , Merom is 667& 800MHz capable while Conroe goes for 1066&1333 ( XE version )....

Actually, Conroe will have 4mb L2 Cache. As well, Merom will go 1066 FSB, on the next gen (after 945M) at the very least. I don't recall if 945M is 1066 capable, I don't think that it is.

For the doubters...here are some CPUz shots for a conroe proc, it lists it as merom but it's a conroe. :D

1.jpg

2.jpg

And to prove that it's a conroe, the bios pic.
Image037.jpg

coldpower27 said:
Nothing I have seen points to that yet, for the moment I beleive Merom will be 2MB, as if it was 4MB it would basically be the size of Conroe, which isn't that small.

Look at Dothan it had 2Mb of cache back before the desktop P4's did (except for the Gallatin XE's).

So it would make sense for Merom to have 4Mb like the Conroe XE, b/c the laptop CPU's always cost more $.

NICE stuff Poncho. Hook me up some of that shit! :)

OK, btw now that its confirmed that Conroe will work in 975, I might get a 975 mobo sometime VERY soon!

Poncho said:
Oh, and that's not a XE Conroe.... just your plain ol version.

Damn , I can't keep saliva into mouth....
:eek:

As for the 2MB version , so I've seen from a roadmap.I\m glad i was wrong... ;)

chrisf6969 said:
Look at Dothan it had 2Mb of cache back before the desktop P4's did (except for the Gallatin XE's).

So it would make sense for Merom to have 4Mb like the Conroe XE, b/c the laptop CPU's always cost more $.

NICE stuff Poncho. Hook me up some of that shit! :)

OK, btw now that its confirmed that Conroe will work in 975, I might get a 975 mobo sometime VERY soon!
Well Comparing Dothan to the Pentium 4 is basically apples to oranges, though it seems that Merom does have some 4MB versions at the least. Typically I expected Merom to remain a sub 100mm2 or close to it die size as like the Pentium M's hence the expectation of only 2MB of cache. A 4MB version would allow for a more greater lineup span though.

savantu said:
Damn , I can't keep saliva into mouth....
:eek:

As for the 2MB version , so I've seen from a roadmap.I\m glad i was wrong... ;)
I was expecting something like this:

Conroe XE DC (4MB) Enthusiast
Conroe DC (4MB) Performance Mainstream
Allendale DC (2MB) Mainstream
Millville SC (1MB) Value

chrisf6969 said:

That is a pre-production intel board, so it's up to the board designers to support the processors in their bios. More than likely they will.... but you can never know until Intel "Officially" says that it's supported. The hardware supports it.... so that's a good sign.

Flak Pyro said:
how come that CpuZ screenshot lists it as running in Socket 479m?

Since when has CPU-Z ever displayed all information for a new CPU correctly from day one? :rolleyes: :p

I've been waiting so long for a thread like this to come along. Intel's roadmap is confusing as hell to anyone whose been under the AMD rock all this time, but this clears everything up.

I remember almost 2 years ago hearing about Merom and it's others similar Intel CPU's and amazingly fast they would be, it's kinda cool to actually see that they exist when before they seemed almost too good to be true.

Everybody has been so fixated on videocards lately, I'd love to hear more speculation on upcoming CPU's such as the FX-65 and these 4mb L3 cache badboys.

YmkFX said:
Everybody has been so fixated on videocards lately, I'd love to hear more speculation on upcoming CPU's such as the FX-65 and these 4mb L3 cache badboys.

I try to stay away from speculation whenever possible just to keep the information lanes clear around the forums, or to at least clearly state that it is JUST speculation. None-the-less...it is nice to see the tech starting to surface and become reality.

The only thing I care about is Merom. Would Merom be out before next August? I go to college next year and will really like one of these in my Laptop. I am going to hold off buying one until it comes out. I can live with a crappy laptop or a notebook and pencil. Just trying to get a estimated date in which it will make its debut in a IBM Thinkpad.

This is going to be the total awesomest thing ever ever...

I cant wait for Conroe. To hell with building a PC tho... I want me a Dual Conroe Power Mac :) <3

Poncho said:
For the doubters...here are some CPUz shots for a conroe proc, it lists it as merom but it's a conroe. :D

1.jpg

2.jpg

And to prove that it's a conroe, the bios pic.
Image037.jpg
[/QUOTE

Am I missing something? Firstly, where did you get your hands on a Conroe? Secondly, do you have any benchmarks? Lastly, which motherboard is running it?

I work at Intel and was able to get my hands on one, though I have to send it out tomorrow. They are pretty scarce around here at the moment, though I should be getting quantity fairly soon. As for the board, it's a development 975 board. I did try the proc out on Gigabyte 975 retail board and couldn't get it to boot. More than likely it was just lacking the bios support right now. I didn't get a chance to run any benchmarks, though I can say that it was very "snappy." Can't wait to get my hands on more. :D

My buddy also works for Intel but he has not been able to get close to one :( Tho, he said that OEMs should be getting them in Late Late Spring <3

USMC2Hard4U said:
My buddy also works for Intel but he has not been able to get close to one :( Tho, he said that OEMs should be getting them in Late Late Spring <3

That sounds about right. I would imagine that I'll have some in my sticky fingers in the next month or two. :D Now to find a damn stable board that will run the thing. :D

Poncho, were you authorized to take pictures/screen shots inside Intel's lab?

empoy said:
Poncho, were you authorized to take pictures/screen shots inside Intel's lab?

There was nothing in the shots that would qualify as "secret" info, believe me I made sure of that.... so it's not really a big deal.

ok, just checking. now I don't see any reason why I can't post Merom cpuinfo and bios screenshots.

Poncho are you based in Chandler or Folsom?

Poncho said:
I work at Intel and was able to get my hands on one, though I have to send it out tomorrow. They are pretty scarce around here at the moment, though I should be getting quantity fairly soon. As for the board, it's a development 975 board. I did try the proc out on Gigabyte 975 retail board and couldn't get it to boot. More than likely it was just lacking the bios support right now. I didn't get a chance to run any benchmarks, though I can say that it was very "snappy." Can't wait to get my hands on more. :D

Cool. Thanks. Be sure to let us in on it when you do. :D

Back