$2,500 RTX-5090 ( 60% faster than 4090 )

It was discounted by $1000 like 6 months after release. If I recall correctly it was discounted to like $1500 or $1600 a month or two after release.
I certainly do not recall it being discounted that hugely a month or two after release. Perhaps others can chime in about it. Nearly 6 months after release the 4090 came out, which is one reason it was not a very good buy at the time.

I certainly do not recall it being discounted that hugely a month or two after release. Perhaps others can chime in about it. Nearly 6 months after release the 4090 came out, which is one reason it was not a very good buy at the time.
I don't think the 3090 Ti was officially discounted a month or two after its release. It was more like a month or two before the 4090 release. A typical move when you're trying to move inventory to make room for incoming product.

I do distinctly remember seeing people trying to offload their 3090 Ti on ebay for $1000 after the 4090 was announced. I don't think there was ever an official $1000 price drop though. If you got a brand new one less than $1500, then you got a steal.

I don't think Nvidia had too many GA102-350-A1 chips in circulation, so in theory, those resulting cards should eventually be collector's items. They are far more reminiscent of the Titan in terms of rarity. It almost seemed like influencers ended up with the bulk of them.

Also worth noting is the 3090 Ti was EVGA's last greatest card to make into retail channels. Something collectors have no doubt made note of.

The 5090 will not be above $2000, likely $1500-$1800. The 5080 will be $1000. Nvidia knows how much enthusiasts and high end buyers are willing to pay. The 4080 Super made it obvious. The original 4080 did not meeting sales expectations, they were testing the waters. I wouldn't expect a 5080 to be even close to a 5090 in performance though, if anything it will be a larger gap in performance than the 4080 and 4090.
That's how I'm hopimg this will play out. Makes the most sense based on Nvidia's experience with the previous gen....

What year is the 5090 going to hit $500?
That seem just impossible to tell, what money will do, what the next 2 generation of Nvidia card look like, what 24GB and that kind of AI performance will be worth and so on, but the going to be 4 years old used 3090 are quite far to get that low despite how much better the 4090 was, if it can be used for projection:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=rtx+3090&_sacat=0&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&Memory%20Size=24%20GB&_dcat=27386
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#sort=price&page=1

Lot of used 3080TI still go for more than $500....

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As well as dlss upscaling quality, frame gen in many new games, and overall (perceived or not) driver quality. It would take a couple of gens for me to trust things have changed with AMD.

Thus far they have not, so I'll be in for a 5xxx series Nvidia card. The only question is price as to whether it's an 80 or a 90 really. If the 90 is in line with the last two generations on price ($1500ish) I'll almost definitely grab one. Of course, as you noted, if the 80 is performant enough and the pricing attractive enough, I'm not going to buy more than I need.
You hit the nail on the head with “a couple of gens.” That’s AMD’s problem in a nutshell. They’ve never knocked it out of the park twice in a row so they’ve never stolen durable mindshare from NVIDIA. Even when they’re on a roll, there’s always some bonehead move like the $900 7900 XT vs $1,000 XTX, RDNA 3’s early driver problems, and the way they left so much clockspeed headroom on the table. These things get mostly cleaned up before the generation is over, but the cards don’t get re-reviewed and so the early problems determine their fate long after the problems are fixed.

NVIDIA also knows how to inject meaningless ideas into people’s heads to make them think they can’t go with the competition. Honestly, how many people actually turn on RT and leave it on even with RTX 4x00 cards, much less in 2019 when people thought they had to buy a 2080 Ti so they could trace those sweet rays? This coming year it will be AI extensions that everyone talks about and almost no one actually benefits from.

Back