4080 for 4k gaming at 120hertz? Ok?

Actually I think you'll run into a serious roadblock. DirectX7 doesn't support a resolution wider than 2048. UT99 works at 1920x1080, but can't go past that. I actually ran into this problem in 2003 or so with 3 CRTs hooked up to a Matrox Parhelia. UT99 runs really well on a Parhelia. I could only run UT99 in surround if I set my screens to 640x480. Also you'll need to edit a config file and change your field of view. UT99 is all screwed up on widescreen monitors if you don't. Of course it's really bad in surround. Finally, you might have to set CPU affinity. UT99 ran like shit on a dual socket Opteron machine until I pegged it to a single core on the socket attached to the vid card. Not sure what it'll do on a modern machine. I probably haven't played it since 2009 or so.
Huh, didn't know that about Direct3D 7 and prior. I think I didn't actively notice with the usual Unreal Engine 1 titles (mostly Unreal 1, UT'99, Deus Ex, the well-supported ones) because they have modernized Direct3D 10/11 renderers, which clearly support 4K because I've actually done it already.

Said renderers also change widescreen FOV behavior from Vert- (very undesirable, and generally the default for Unreal Engine prior to 3) to Hor+ (what you expect from modern PC games).

On top of that, the Old Unreal patches offer OpenAL and FMOD audio renderers, various other little engine fixes and tweaks, and most surprisingly, native Apple Silicon binaries, implying that Epic Games granted them legal access to the UE1 source code.

Core affinity is still a problem, particularly on heterogeneous architectures like Alder Lake (had to use Process Lasso to keep it off the E-cores).

Back