all sata port dead...

game14

[H]ard|Gawd
i have a brand new A68 fm2+ chipset board with an A8 7670k . Sata SSD as drive. Worked fine for 2 weeks then it just turned off ,rebooted in BIOS settings (UEFI) and no more sata drives detected. Tried all 4 sata ports and different cables , different HDD , nothing. No sata device detected. Mobo just directly boots into bios.
Mobo brick or CPU or what else causing the problem ?
thanks for any help.

In my experience it's 50/50 when something like that goes out.

As someone who's revived multiple dated systems over the years, unless you're trying to make a retro PC, just scrap it. New parts will cost you less than trying to pin down the right fixes.

In my experience it's 50/50 when something like that goes out.

As someone who's revived multiple dated systems over the years, unless you're trying to make a retro PC, just scrap it. New parts will cost you less than trying to pin down the right fixes.
well the thing is its brand new hardware (yeah they selling that old stuff here in Asia) so i would like to know what to send back for replacement. Just 2 weeks old.

a picture of BIOS

Attachments

• IMG_20230904_105608.jpg
    IMG_20230904_105608.jpg
    478.9 KB · Views: 0
well the thing is its brand new hardware (yeah they selling that old stuff here in Asia) so i would like to know what to send back for replacement. Just 2 weeks old.
The MB.
First off though I would pop the battery out and do a CMOS clear and leave unplugged for a while. Boot up with still no battery in and no sata drives attached or USB drives. Verify working in BIOS. Then plug in one sata drive that is NOT a boot device and see if BIOS recognizes it. Let me know.
Also are you using the iGPU or DGPU?

Last edited:
Are the drives receiving power? If it's a mechanical HDD, see if it's actually spinning.

The MB.
First off though I would pop the battery out and do a CMOS clear and leave unplugged for a while. Boot up with still no battery in and no sata drives attached or USB drives. Verify working in BIOS. Then plug in one sata drive that is NOT a boot device and see if BIOS recognizes it. Let me know.
Also are you using the iGPU or DGPU?
Nice idea, gonna try that. Using igpu.

Are the drives receiving power? If it's a mechanical HDD, see if it's actually spinning.
Yes. I used knowingly working hdd to test. Even an old sata DVD . I tested different psu , same problem.

Check in device manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controller click the drop down and see if the sata controller is still recognized if so right click the sata controller to check status under the properties tab.

Lots of good suggestions here. Maybe try a BIOS update too if you're not on the latest already? It's a long shot, a very very long shot but could get the SATA controller working again.

Lots of good suggestions here. Maybe try a BIOS update too if you're not on the latest already? It's a long shot, a very very long shot but could get the SATA controller working again.
Still letting the board sit clearing the BIOS. See what happens.

Check in device manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controller click the drop down and see if the sata controller is still recognized if so right click the sata controller to check status under the properties tab.
Can't get past BIOS setting

Can't get past BIOS setting
Sounds like a bad board. Can you boot off a bootable flash drive? Most boards of that era should let you flash via DOS with AFUDOS.exe. You can create a FreeDOS bootable flash drive with Rufus on another machine.

I would ultimately contact the seller and get a replacement.

Update:
I let the board sit for some days without battery. Did the reboot procedures as suggested... and sata controller is back.
All working again.
Except for the 2 week old SSD, that's toast. Sent it back, got my refund.
Can a bad SSD temporarily disable sata controllers ?
Well anyways board is working again, hope it stays that way.
Thank you all for your help.

Sounds like a bad board. Can you boot off a bootable flash drive? Most boards of that era should let you flash via DOS with AFUDOS.exe. You can create a FreeDOS bootable flash drive with Rufus on another machine.

I would ultimately contact the seller and get a replacement.
Never could get that board boot off a flash drive, had to find a installation DVD in my old scrap box.

Back