Best Display Settings - MAG274QRF-QD

Squadmate

n00b
Hello all,

I've used this monitor for a while now, put the settings on the monitor side like rtings recommended for this model.
With a fresh windows install I looked at the settings again and I'm not sure anymore which will be best.

I got a MSI MAG274QRF-QD, set on: Adaptive-Sync On, 165Hz, response time fast, HDCR On, Contrast 70, Sharpness 0, HDR off. Im pretty sure these options are a good fit, as they are recomended on rtings.
Now the thing I'm not too sure about: The inputs on this monitor limit its capabilities a bit due to bandwith constraits. Inputs are HDMI 2.0b and DP1.2a. In NVidia Control panel I can chose between 165Hz, 8bit with RGB or YCbCr444; 120Hz, 10bit with RGB or YCbCr444; 165Hz, 10bit with YCbCr422

I prefer 165 8bit for gaming and 120Hz 10bit for everything else, But I can't decide if having 165Hz, 10bit with YCbCr 422 is worth having on all the time instead of switching.
What would you all recommend or what are you running if you got a similar screen?

I would not recommend YCbCr422. The color quality is noticeably worse.

120 Hz 10-bit RGB for any HDR content (including games) and 165 Hz 8-bit RGB for everything else. The monitor doesn't have any local dimming, but it can display the expanded color gamut of HDR content, so it could be an advantage to still turn on HDR when it's available. That would come down to personal taste, though. If you don't care about HDR then I'd run it in 165 Hz 8-bit RGB all the time since most SDR content is mastered for the sRGB color space, meaning running the monitor in 10-bit would give you oversaturated color.

I would not recommend YCbCr422. The color quality is noticeably worse.

120 Hz 10-bit RGB for any HDR content (including games) and 165 Hz 8-bit RGB for everything else. The monitor doesn't have any local dimming, but it can display the expanded color gamut of HDR content, so it could be an advantage to still turn on HDR when it's available. That would come down to personal taste, though. If you don't care about HDR then I'd run it in 165 Hz 8-bit RGB all the time since most SDR content is mastered for the sRGB color space, meaning running the monitor in 10-bit would give you oversaturated color.
Thanks for the recommendation. I will try HDR in my prefered games and on netflix or sth. Didn't know about the oversaturated colors with 10bit SDR, asumed that it was undersaturated otherwhise and hence the diffrence...

Back