Choose between RTX 4060 / RTX 3060 12GB / RX 6700 XT

alfniro

n00b
Hello!

I'm going to set up a brand new configuration, based on an I5 13400f CPU and 32GB RAM, and I'm still very hesitant about the choice of graphics card...

My uses will be:
- Flight Simulator 2020, Cities skyline, some FPS, possibly Cyberpunk and Ratchet
- as a beginner in Unreal Engine 5, I'd like to create projects such as virtual house representations and small games
all on a 1080p screen for now anyway!

I also have an Nvidia shield under android for watching TV and eventually want to stream my games from my pc to this box.

There are 3 cards in my budget (+/- 300€) in my country:
- RTX 4060: which is a card very often offered in mid-range configurations, compatible with new technologies, but perhaps too limited in RAM (for UR 5, for example?)
- RTX 3060 12GB: "old card", but seems to be very good for most 1080p games, and above all has more RAM (for UR5, for example).
- RX 6700 XT: I don't know AMD (I still have a GTX 570-based config...), but it seems to outperform the other two, but I don't know if it's a good choice for 1) UR5 and 2) streaming games to an nvidia shield.... (although there are other solutions for streaming?)

Anyway, I'd love to hear any advice you may have!

Between those 3, the 4060 namely because of your Shield use case. 6700xt won't allow you to stream so scratch that one. 4060 gets you the latest DLSS tech so if similarly priced to a 3060 it's a no brainer.

You can Stream to the Shield TV using the Steam Link app in the Play Store. And in my experience with my own Shield TV, it works better than the Nvidia gamestream as well if just for the complete customization of controls, stream quality, and Steam Big Picture Mode for TVs to browse your library with. So I wouldn't let that determine which card you choose.

Otherwise I would just look up those games and see which of those cards give you better performance and if they support DLSS/FSR. IMO DLSS is definitely a nice perk on the green cards and in most cases somewhat improves image quality on top of performance, which is definitely not the case with FSR on AMD cards.

Thanks for your advice, I will try the steam link!

Rasterization seems better on the 6700 XT, but as you said, DLSS is better for thoses games than FSR.

You can Stream to the Shield TV using the Steam Link app in the Play Store. And in my experience with my own Shield TV, it works better than the Nvidia gamestream as well if just for the complete customization of controls, stream quality, and Steam Big Picture Mode for TVs to browse your library with. So I wouldn't let that determine which card you choose.

Otherwise I would just look up those games and see which of those cards give you better performance and if they support DLSS/FSR. IMO DLSS is definitely a nice perk on the green cards and in most cases somewhat improves image quality on top of performance, which is definitely not the case with FSR on AMD cards.
Was totally unaware of Steam Link. Thanks for that! I'll have to give it a try myself.

6700xt is a significant tier above here in most game,
relative-performance-1920-1080.png

15% above the 4060, +34% the 3060 12gig.

Maybe some very specific Unreal 5 workflow.. but in general 6700xt is a good step above.

Was totally unaware of Steam Link. Thanks for that! I'll have to give it a try myself.
I think it will be the way to go now, Nvidia stopped to support gamestream last year, maybe because steam link-moonlight became good enough (Moonlight need an Nvidia gpu as well too I think).

If one want to use Moonlight (over the parsec-steam link, etc...) it can be a consideration

6700xt is a significant tier above here in most game,
View attachment 613517

15% above the 4060, +34% the 3060 12gig.

Maybe some very specific Unreal 5 workflow.. but in general 6700xt is a good step above.

I think it will be the way to go now, Nvidia stopped to support gamestream last year, maybe because steam link-moonlight became good enough (Moonlight need an Nvidia gpu as well too I think).

If one want to use Moonlight (over the parsec-steam link, etc...) it can be a consideration
You have the 7700XT highlighted here and seem to be comparing to that card. The 6700XT seems to be 10% and 20% faster than the 4060 and 3060 12GB respectively on that chart.

But I wouldn't necessarily go off of that anyways since OP listed his specific games that he can lookup to see how performance compares on those games he's playing. And pure rasterization performance only tells half the story these days with decent upscaling tech in play. I know many purists here hate it, but to many the performance improvements are worth it and it's worth considering regardless.

You have the 7700XT highlighted here and seem to be comparing to that card. The 6700XT seems to be 10% and 20% faster than the 4060 and 3060 12GB respectively on that chart.
Yes took rhe 7700xt to have the most recent drivers-games available

(not sure how you can come up with 10% and 20% faster)
79/69 = 14.4%
79/59 = 34%

Tell me you did not made some 79%-69% = 10% faster ;)

DLSS over FSR is indeed interesting, specially at 1080p where FSR is not that good but on a 1080p monitor upscaling tech in general is not necessarily that big of a deal.

A 6600XT kills it at 1080P for reasonable money. Just picked up a 6750XT for 339.00 for 1080P ultra and I'm very happy with it. Ray tracing does little aesthetically for me so I don't care about it.

79/69 = 14.4%
79/59 = 34%

DLSS over FSR is indeed interesting, specially at 1080p where FSR is not that good but on a 1080p monitor upscaling tech in general is not necessarily that big of a deal.

In my experience even at 1440p FSR still looks pretty bad.

Thanks for all your advice :)
For the FS2020 use, the Frame Generation and DLSS 3 seems to works pretty good (see on a dedicated forum)
And for the Unreal Engine, I will not create large project, so 8GB will be enough I think.
So I think I would prefer the RTX 4060.
I will wait untile Black Friday, to see the discount on it

79/69 = 14.4%
79/59 = 34%

Lol, yeah that's the kinda math I can do seconds before I crash in bed for the night. 😅

concerning the "duel" 4060 / 4060 ti, I just saw that there was a cashback on these cards on the ASUS Switzerland site:

- 40.- for an RTX 4060 TI Dual OC white, which would make it CHF 378.-
or - 30.- for an RTX 4060 Dual OC white, i.e. CHF 296.-

It's getting interesting.... I hesitate, the cashback offer is until this Sunday, and Friday is black friday...

Reactions: Xar
like this
Hello!

I'm going to set up a brand new configuration, based on an I5 13400f CPU and 32GB RAM, and I'm still very hesitant about the choice of graphics card...

My uses will be:
- Flight Simulator 2020, Cities skyline, some FPS, possibly Cyberpunk and Ratchet
- as a beginner in Unreal Engine 5, I'd like to create projects such as virtual house representations and small games
all on a 1080p screen for now anyway!

I also have an Nvidia shield under android for watching TV and eventually want to stream my games from my pc to this box.

There are 3 cards in my budget (+/- 300€) in my country:
- RTX 4060: which is a card very often offered in mid-range configurations, compatible with new technologies, but perhaps too limited in RAM (for UR 5, for example?)
- RTX 3060 12GB: "old card", but seems to be very good for most 1080p games, and above all has more RAM (for UR5, for example).
- RX 6700 XT: I don't know AMD (I still have a GTX 570-based config...), but it seems to outperform the other two, but I don't know if it's a good choice for 1) UR5 and 2) streaming games to an nvidia shield.... (although there are other solutions for streaming?)

Anyway, I'd love to hear any advice you may have!
With a brand new 4060 8GB at $299 on Amazon right now, I'd pick that over the 3060 for sure. It's significantly faster and the extra 4GB doesn't matter for 1080p.

Zotac 4060 $299.

The performance on the 6700XT is neck and neck with the 4060 but you are using Nvidia apps for screen capture/streaming so the Nvidia card is probably the better choice.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
With a brand new 4060 8GB at $299 on Amazon right now, I'd pick that over the 3060 for sure. It's significantly faster and the extra 4GB doesn't matter for 1080p.

Zotac 4060 $299.

The performance on the 6700XT is neck and neck with the 4060 but you are using Nvidia apps for screen capture/streaming so the Nvidia card is probably the better choice.

I had taken the 4060 TI from asus, with a cashback, total: 375.- (CHF) I just built my new config last sunday and it works well

I had taken the 4060 TI from asus, with a cashback, total: 375.- (CHF) I just built my new config last sunday and it works well
Nice choice. The Ti model will give you about a 20% bump in performance vs the regular 4060 and with the cashback offer I can see why you decided to go a bit higher. Enjoy!

Zotac 4060 $299.

4060 competes with 6650 XT/RX 7600. The 6700 XT is faster, more in line with 3060 ti/4060 ti.

Not to thread hijack but are these cards typically at the $300 price point? Looking for a card for my nephew and low $300ish is the price point we want to hit.

If you haven't already purchased (thread started in November), at this point wait for CES. Even if you're not interested in Super cards, they will drop the prices of the rest of nVidia's stack, which means AMD will also drop the prices in their stack. Allowing you to either buy a higher level card for the same money or these cards for less money. Either way, waiting <1 month at this point is worth it.

Not to thread hijack but are these cards typically at the $300 price point? Looking for a card for my nephew and low $300ish is the price point we want to hit.
Yes. The RTX 4060 8GB is typically in the $300 price range and should handle 1080p resolutions just fine for your nephew.

Just make sure that his power supply can handle it.

I'd recommend at least a solid 500W unit.

There's a thermaltake toughpower 600W on sale for $59 at Amazon right now: https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Toughpower-Crossfire-Continuous-PS-TPD-0600NNFAGU-2/dp/B087CDR14Z/ref=sr_1_13?crid=2FI8ZXIW9BM0X&keywords=550w+psu&qid=1703726481&s=electronics&sprefix=550w+psu,electronics,98&sr=1-13&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840&th=1

It's not the fanciest psu but it's affordable and should do the job if he needs a new PSU to match the video card.

So that PSU plus say a Gigabyte 4060 Eagle 8GB for $304 +$10 instant coupon should cost you around 355 before taxes: https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-Graphics-WINDFORCE-GV-N4060EAGLE-OC-8GD/dp/B0C8K441T1/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2JOZ2MVIYVIQ3&keywords=gtx+460+8gb&qid=1703726736&s=electronics&sprefix=gtx+460+8gb,electronics,73&sr=1-5&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.ac2169a1-b668-44b9-8bd0-5ec63b24bcb5

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgar
like this
Back