Cpu Temp?

ralphie1313

Limp Gawd
So just wondering if this is normal. So i have a program running that tells me the load and temps for the cpu,gpu and memory. I am using AMD 7950x3D, and an rtx 4090 gpu with DDR 5 memory 670 chipset and i am using an aircooler. So when i have ms flight simulator running running my gpu will be at 55% load and a temp of 39c my cpu only has a 4% load but the temp jumps from like 45c up to 86c and stays there when running flight sim. Is this a normal thing for the temp to rise like that without the load going up on the cpu? And is 86c temp ok to be at for long periods of time cause i use flight sim for hours??

thank u guys so much

yes that's normal and fine for long term use. it's trying to boost the clock speeds on the active threads on the CCD with v-cache plus the games very cache heavy.

yes that's normal and fine for long term use. it's trying to boost the clock speeds on the active threads on the CCD with v-cache plus the games very cache heavy.
ok great but let me ask would'nt like what u just said put the cpu under a load and more then 4%? and i am not to good with computer stuff so if i am asking a dumb ? just tell me not to think to much into in !! thanks

ok great but let me ask would'nt like what u just said put the cpu under a load and more then 4%? and i am not to good with computer stuff so if i am asking a dumb ? just tell me not to think to much into in !! thanks
not a dumb question. so the usage you're seeing is across the entire cpu. if you actually look MSFS loads up 1 or 2 cores at most so it's trying to keep those cores at ~5.1-5.2Ghz.

Sadly MSFS is very cpu limited which is why your gpu's only running at 55% usage. you can increase your graphic settings to get more usage out of the gpu as well.

A 4% load is about 3/4 of a single core when you have 16 of them, so it's keeping one core quite busy and not moving the heat source around. Sounds normal to me.

You may or may not have a cooling issue, from a distance I'd guess probably not. Which cooler?

not a dumb question. so the usage you're seeing is across the entire cpu. if you actually look MSFS loads up 1 or 2 cores at most so it's trying to keep those cores at ~5.1-5.2Ghz.

Sadly MSFS is very cpu limited which is why your gpu's only running at 55% usage. you can increase your graphic settings to get more usage out of the gpu as well.
u would think the biggest software comp ms with one of the most complex games flight sim that they could not design the software to use all cores!!

A 4% load is about 3/4 of a single core when you have 16 of them, so it's keeping one core quite busy and not moving the heat source around. Sounds normal to me.

You may or may not have a cooling issue, from a distance I'd guess probably not. Which cooler?
deepcool ag-400 single tower

for a single tower, sounds aboot right. upgrade your cooler to a pa120/ps120 dual tower or 280+ aio if you want cooler temps

for a single tower, sounds aboot right. upgrade your cooler to a pa120/ps120 dual tower or 280+ aio if you want cooler temps
not sure is i have the space for a dual tower i got a rog strix x670e-e, does the water cooler on keep it alot cooler?

not sure is i have the space for a dual tower i got a rog strix x670e-e, does the water cooler on keep it alot cooler?
from what you currently have something like a 240 or preferably 280/360 if they can fit in your case will definitely do better. what case do you have and does your memory have really tall heatsinks?

So just wondering if this is normal. So i have a program running that tells me the load and temps for the cpu,gpu and memory. I am using AMD 7950x3D, and an rtx 4090 gpu with DDR 5 memory 670 chipset and i am using an aircooler. So when i have ms flight simulator running running my gpu will be at 55% load and a temp of 39c my cpu only has a 4% load but the temp jumps from like 45c up to 86c and stays there when running flight sim. Is this a normal thing for the temp to rise like that without the load going up on the cpu? And is 86c temp ok to be at for long periods of time cause i use flight sim for hours??

thank u guys so much

Any temperature up to 88C is safe on X3D Chips, I think everyone's chip hits 86C no matter the cooling since I see that as well on my 7800X3D with a 240 AIO. If you don't want the temperature to exceed a specific point you can enable the thermal limiting PBO feature. On my board it is called "Enhanced" where you enable PBO, it allows you to limit your CPU based on temperature. On my setup the 70C variant loses about 3.7% performance in Cinebench R23 versus stock. The 80C setting lowers performance by about half a percent.

It's worth experimenting with.

from what you currently have something like a 240 or preferably 280/360 if they can fit in your case will definitely do better. what case do you have and does your memory have really tall heatsinks?
i have a lian 216 mid tower and g.skills z5, right now on my cooler i mentioned i got 2 fans if the second tower comes off the right side and stops right before the memory i would be ok and only run one fan on the left side but it deff will not make it over the memory...

Any temperature up to 88C is safe on X3D Chips, I think everyone's chip hits 86C no matter the cooling since I see that as well on my 7800X3D with a 240 AIO. If you don't want the temperature to exceed a specific point you can enable the thermal limiting PBO feature. On my board it is called "Enhanced" where you enable PBO, it allows you to limit your CPU based on temperature. On my setup the 70C variant loses about 3.7% performance in Cinebench R23 versus stock. The 80C setting lowers performance by about half a percent.

It's worth experimenting with.
ah ok i see, i would also try what u said, but as long as u guys saying its ok at that temp and will not burn it up i got no problem with it running at that temp...

ah ok i see, i would also try what u said, but as long as u guys saying its ok at that temp and will not burn it up i got no problem with it running at that temp...
yeah should be fine. if you do decide you want to upgrade the cooling because you're doing more demanding stuff i'd look at something like the arctic liquid freezer II 280 which can be mounted at the front of the case and still use the original RGB fans. cooler can be found for 100-115 usually. just make sure you get it from arctic if you buy it on amazon or fleebay so you know you have the post recall version (they all come with a QC ok sticker on them). best AIO you can buy for the price imo.

i am a rgb junkie!!

Attachments

• computer pic.JPG
    computer pic.JPG
    469.1 KB · Views: 0
i have a lian 216 mid tower and g.skills z5, right now on my cooler i mentioned i got 2 fans if the second tower comes off the right side and stops right before the memory i would be ok and only run one fan on the left side but it deff will not make it over the memory...
That sounds similar to the room I have for a cooler and with a dual tower(thermalright ps 120) the front fan sits right over my memory. Since the memory was tall enough to interfere with it my choices were to offset the front fan to sit a little higher, move it to the back in a pull config, or only use one fan in the middle which apparently doesn't lower performance as much as you'd think. I decided to offset it but if I cared much about looks I would have moved it to the back.

Your temps aren't that bad though so I wouldn't bother changing your cooler unless you start playing something more demanding and it's starts to throttle due to heat.

When I had my 4790K and 1080Ti, MS Flight Sim 2020 loaded up the entire CPU,
Was running 3440x1440
IMG_8953.PNG

When I got my 5800X, it looked like this,
IMG_0287.PNG

that would be a bug or maybe you're thinking of xplane 11.5 when they added vulkan.

how are you ralphie, It is not uncommon for the CPU temperature to rise while the CPU load remains relatively low. This can happen due to various factors such as inefficient cooling, improper thermal paste application, or inadequate airflow in the case. However, reaching a temperature of 86°C is quite high and could potentially be a cause for concern, especially if it is sustained for long periods of time.
AMD CPUs tjmax is 95 degrees C and can run at that temp all day long. Potential issue? Maybe. Easily remedied by tuning the bios with a temp cap that is lower.

AMD CPUs tjmax is 95 degrees C and can run at that temp all day long. Potential issue? Maybe. Easily remedied by tuning the bios with a temp cap that is lower.
Hey thanks for the reply, So i switched i went a water cooler for the cpu so now i am at 50c idle and the max i seen so far 70c so i know i am ok now!!!

Only cinebench really pushes my 7800x3d that hard. Gaming temps on a 280aio are in the low 60s, unless said game decides to precache shaders and it'll hit 82C on that.

Back