do i really need the 250w? shuttle or can i get away with 200w...

mithong

n00b
im planning on getting the sn45g with these components

athlon xp mobile 2500+ (planning on OCing it to 200x11 like everyone else)
radeon 9800 pro
80 g hard drive
2 sticks of 512 corsair 320 memory

so i was wondering, will the 200 w supply that comes with the version 1 of the sn45g be adequate (ive heard it was, i just wanted to make sure) or do you think i hsould get the sn45g with the 250 w power supply ... (that would be 35 bucks more)

thanks

mithong said:
im planning on getting the sn45g with these components

athlon xp mobile 2500+ (planning on OCing it to 200x11 like everyone else)
radeon 9800 pro
80 g hard drive
2 sticks of 512 corsair 320 memory

so i was wondering, will the 200 w supply that comes with the version 1 of the sn45g be adequate (ive heard it was, i just wanted to make sure) or do you think i hsould get the sn45g with the 250 w power supply ... (that would be 35 bucks more)

thanks

imo: i'd just do it for the quieter 250w psu, but the 200w has lasted me a bit, (sig)

it being "quieter" is definitely subjective.

If you get the 250 get it for the wattage. Possible for a future videocard upgrade. Of course, the X800 series is even more power efficient than the 9800 series so if you stick with ATI you'll probably be ok.

you really should go with the 250W Silent X unit because having the extra power will benefit you in the long run.

Not to mention, the SilentX PSU runs cooler. It runs with two fans instead of one. Although those that say its quieter are mistaken. I replaced my 200watt PSU in my SN45Gv1 for the 250Watt SilentX, and while I did notice a slight over temp drop, the overall noise was a bit louder when the system was under load (Folding, Gaming, etc...)

Now if Shuttle would release one for the SN85G4 since the current SilentX fans aren't compatible...

Regards,

-E

hey i just got a question about the OCing. how much do you have to raise the voltage in the bios? is the 200x11 very common? i had never heard about that as being common until now.

also, what is the cheapest memory that will be compatible, i know ur supposed to use corsair xms and stuff like that, but anything cheaper?

Back