Dual 3.0Ghz (400FSB) Xeon SANDRA 2004 Benchmarks...

Opteron is faster....my ass. This system I just built hauls ass.

2xXeon3GHz.bmp

-kris

As much as I agree the Xeons are not a bad deal price/performance wise, I would not be so fast to slam the Opteron based on one synthetic benchmark. My 3.0's OC'd to 3.4 are plenty speedy for DivX encoding. But put up against a pair of Opterons on a database or webserver the Xeons would get slammed.

CPU%2020x171%203437s.gif

Yea, SANDRA CPU benchmarks are pretty useless. Run some real world tests to see how it would do ;)

You may actually want to drop the multiplier down to see if you can push that FSB... 400MHz FSB is just killing your CPU. You should at least shoot for 533MHz, if your board allow you to. ;)

How the heck do you start 2 instances of Prime95. For the life of me I cannot figure it out. But and am an (nV)idiot after all.

Originally posted by Nvidiot
How the heck do you start 2 instances of Prime95. For the life of me I cannot figure it out. But and am an (nV)idiot after all.

Have 4 different directories with the program in it. Be sure to set affinity in each instance.

or do the following:

Start>Run>cmd
cd c:\program files\prime95
prime95 -a1
prime95 -a2
prime95 -a3
prime95 -a4

You should now have 4 instances of Prime running.

As you say you need to change the affinity for each instance to one of your logical processor. (4 with dual Xeon and HT).

-Nv

Originally posted by freecableguy
Can you run 4 logical processors with XP Pro? I thought the limit was 2 with Pro and 1 with Home...

No, only 2 logical and 2 virtual.

Originally posted by freecableguy
Can you run 4 logical processors with XP Pro? I thought the limit was 2 with Pro and 1 with Home...
It's all down to MS's licencing policy... With XP Home, the OS will only recognize one physical CPU. Whether the CPU has only one 'logical CPU' (that's without HT) or has multiple 'logical CPUs' (with HT or whatever technologies to make a single CPU to appear as multiple CPUs... Don't confuse this with multi-core dies!!). With XP Pro, it can recognize up to 2 physical CPUs which means you can have two Xeon's with HT enable and it will see all the logical CPUs. :)

Back