intel 13th and 14th gen xx900 and xx700 may have defective cores causing crashes in gaming

Makes me very curious what Intel has next. I had avoided Intel since the 4820K, X79 setup I had. (which I loved) It wasn't till I got my hands on a 12400 b660 box that I decided to give Intel a try. I liked that 12400. Easy to cool and did it's job.
Probably sell the 13600K and stick with the 14700K. One hot box I can handle in my little office.

I'd reverse that if I wasn't too lazy to pull the 14700K.

At the end he acknowledges that this testing is now incomplete because as of May 31st Intel is changing how their default profiles will be setup. It will no longer be the 253w spec for the default profile.

Which means out of the box settings are going to be worse than this benchmark video shows.
This should be interesting. I hope it will level set the basic Intel performance expectations. Those lower baseline profiles are going to gimp these chips, from what we've seen with Gigabytes updated profile. Theirs makes sense now. Then, MOGA, make overclocking great again.

Has AMD done the same, already? Apples to apples soon.

The 3930k CPU in the rig in my signature originally ran at 4.7 to 4.8, but after a year or two I lowered the overclock to 4.6 for "long-term" stability. Similarly, I had been using an i7 950 before getting the 3930k and later using it as my actual office CPU, originally clocked around 4 GHZ then down to 3.8 from maybe 2015 until October 2021.

Those are instances of long-term use even with a significant overclock with little to no degredation. The extreme overvolting and seemingly over-amperage feeding of Intel's newer factory overclocks and motherboard allowances damaged if not outright killed way too many chips way too fast.

This should be interesting. I hope it will level set the basic Intel performance expectations. Those lower baseline profiles are going to gimp these chips, from what we've seen with Gigabytes updated profile. Theirs makes sense now. Then, MOGA, make overclocking great again.

Has AMD done the same, already? Apples to apples soon.

Later BIOS revisions from AMD placed a near hard cap on 4+ cores boosting over either 5.4 or 5.5GHz on Zen 4 (forget which) unless you start messing with clock generators. See Buildzoid for more info on that. Zen 4, like Zen 3, RDNA 3, and RDNA 2 all come essentially factory overvolted and why those different chips get so much more performance just using a voltage offset or undervolt.

Am I a sucker or is there actual software to test for degradation? My kids 13900 (non-k) is unstable in Minecraft dungeons (Unreal engine) at default and proper power limits.

Am I a sucker or is there actual software to test for degradation? My kids 13900 (non-k) is unstable in Minecraft dungeons (Unreal engine) at default and proper power limits.
Do a good 10 minute test using cinebench. See if it crashes at stock settings. Because it could be a video card or video driver issue too.

The test is to run benchmarking software at fully stock settings under the new power guidelines and see if the chip crashes. If it does, pull back clock speed with successive runs till it's stable. Then run a 24 hour burn test at the reduced settings, whatever that might be, and see if it's still stable. That will tell you the amount of degradation (and slightly worsen what's there).

Note, testing in that fashion presumes a proper cooler of some kind, sufficient airflow, and decently applied and non-pumped out thermal paste.

You are looking for something that measures a process known as electromigration.
https://www.eecg.utoronto.ca/~najm/papers/iccad20-adam.pdf
https://semiengineering.com/better-screening-needed-for-data-center-errors/

Intel sells a SKU of Xeon that has hardware built in for monitoring and reporting breakdowns, but I have never had the pleasure of working with anything of that caliber.

Intel published a statement on the issue:

https://twitter.com/aschilling/status/1788133702448336902

"Intel is not recommending motherboard manufacturers to use ‘baseline’ power delivery settings on boards capable of higher values"

Edit:

Toms Hardware link:

https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-com...ashes-stick-to-intels-official-power-profiles

"Intel is not recommending motherboard manufacturers to use ‘baseline’ power delivery settings on boards capable of higher values.

Intel’s recommended 'Intel Default Settings' are a combination of thermal and power delivery features along with a selection of possible power delivery profiles based on motherboard capabilities.

Intel recommends customers to implement the highest power delivery profile compatible with each individual motherboard design as noted in the table below."

Last edited:
So like IDK the kind of guidelines that should be there at launch!? This seems so completely obvious and expected for any CPU release does it not?

“Hey don’t nerf it too hard. Think of the benchmarks! “ (share holders)

Damn Intel, make up your mind....

I'd like to get a grasp on this and tame my systems to promote longevity. Otherwise, I may just trade my 14700k off for a 13400 and some cash. I don't need to be that much of a rush to complete renders.

Back