Intel Announces Thunderbolt Share

bigdogchris

Fully [H]
  • Smooth uncompressed screen-sharing with ultra-responsive mouse and keyboard control between PCs - powering a seamless visual experience.
  • Fast file transfers between two PCs with simple drag and drop, folder synchronization, and easy file migration from an old PC to a new PC.
  • Easy collaboration between users sharing large files.
  • Support via a direct connection between PCs or through a Thunderbolt accessory with multiple ports such as a Thunderbolt dock or monitor.
  • Private and secure connection that doesn't affect Wi-Fi, Ethernet or cloud network performance.

Sources:
https://www.techpowerup.com/322472/...pc-to-pc-high-bandwidth-networking-technology
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...c-to-pc-with-thunderbolt-share.html#gs.9f2bvt

So per the slides it requires at least one client to be Thunderbolt Share licensed. I guess this streamlines things for some use cases though I wonder what the longevity of this solution will be (software and hardware support wise).

So per the slides it requires at least one client to be Thunderbolt Share licensed. I guess this streamlines things for some use cases though I wonder what the longevity of this solution will be (software and hardware support wise).
Maybe the higher cost item (PC) would be licensed but lower cost parts don't to help keep the cost down.

I was hoping you could share or network PCs via USB C, but I guess not. I tried Googling it, but I didn't see anything about.
Thunderbolt isn't USB, while they share a connector, it's easier to think of Thunderbolt as a superset of USB rather than something directly comparable.
This is one of the many reasons I am annoyed by the USB consortium.

Maybe the higher cost item (PC) would be licensed but lower cost parts don't to help keep the cost down.
Apple licenses Thunderbolt from Intel for their M series chips.
I wonder if the M4 has a license for this tech. This may be some "new feature" for fast transfers from your old device to your new device. Because transferring multiple TB over Wifi during a new device setup is... Not fun... Often problematic, and certainly slow, and god if you have a shit modem/router combo from your ISP, just give up.

Thunderbolt isn't USB, while they share a connector, it's easier to think of Thunderbolt as a superset of USB rather than something directly comparable.
This is one of the many reasons I am annoyed by the USB consortium.
I known, I was just generally talking about the C port between 2 Windows devices.

I wonder if the M4 has a license for this tech. This may be some "new feature" for fast transfers from your old device to your new device. Because transferring multiple TB over Wifi during a new device setup is... Not fun... Often problematic, and certainly slow, and god if you have a shit modem/router combo from your ISP, just give up.
Do Macs no longer support Target Disk Mode?

You haven't experienced the awesomeness of Wi-Fi 6E/7 yet have you? Even a 2x2 Wi-Fi 6 client can get 2 gig up/down simultaneously with latency around 5-10ms

Whatever it is, I'd rather see it outmoded or absorbed into something standardized like USB. USB4 being capable of and compatible with Thunderbolt 3 and 4 (and maybe more depending, though I hear there's now a USB4 80gbps that has different names or whatnot and is aligned with TB5) is a step in the right direction. These Thunderbolt features are good to see, but widespread compatibility and openness of specification seems most important for them to be usable. Sure, if Intel wants to certify certain hardware as compatible and officially branded with their seal of quality , charge a reasonable amount and do reasonable testing. However, even those who are not certified can still be fully compatible - its a bit like Nvidia's (eventual) decision to support FreeSync monitors full feature set as "Gsync Compatible" as compared to officially certified GSync support. I

Do Macs no longer support Target Disk Mode?
I honestly didn’t know that was a thing, I have so few Mac’s that I have to care about the data on that I’ve encountered it maybe twice where I had a lot of data to move and we just hard wired them. The stories I hear are from colleagues and family.
I will remember this though for the next time my dad calls me in fit of frustration.

Whatever it is, I'd rather see it outmoded or absorbed into something standardized like USB. USB4 being capable of and compatible with Thunderbolt 3 and 4 (and maybe more depending, though I hear there's now a USB4 80gbps that has different names or whatnot and is aligned with TB5) is a step in the right direction. These Thunderbolt features are good to see, but widespread compatibility and openness of specification seems most important for them to be usable. Sure, if Intel wants to certify certain hardware as compatible and officially branded with their seal of quality , charge a reasonable amount and do reasonable testing. However, even those who are not certified can still be fully compatible - its a bit like Nvidia's (eventual) decision to support FreeSync monitors full feature set as "Gsync Compatible" as compared to officially certified GSync support. I
While I like that idea that would require the USB group to actually enforce a standard and not cave under the slightest oncoming breeze to just create a cheaper less feature rich USB sub variant.
Thunderbolt works because Intel gives a very strict list of requirements and gives no room for variations.
One look at what USB has done over its revision list clearly shows they are incapable of doing the same.

Amazing to see how many decades it takes for USB and Thunderbolt to catch up to what Firewire did in the first place....
Was going to say, Firewire was doing this very thing over 20 years ago.

You have been able to transfer new data between Macs with Setup Assistant via Thunderbolt for several years now. It's how I do it every time I upgrade.

While I like that idea that would require the USB group to actually enforce a standard and not cave under the slightest oncoming breeze to just create a cheaper less feature rich USB sub variant.

My wife sometimes asks me why I "need" so many USB cables. I hate that USB 3 has two different device-end connectors. NIH on the part of some members of the "standards" committee?

A camel is a horse designed by a committee. Old saying.
Thunderbolt works because Intel gives a very strict list of requirements and gives no room for variations
What he said here.

Back