Monitor stands with fully articulating arms?

UnknownSouljer

[H]F Junkie
I can't find what I'm looking for.

I need a monitor stand (rests on a desk without a clamp) with ergonomic fully articulating arm(s).

Closest I could find is this: https://a.co/d/8o1dfHK
The issue with this is that I'm going to need the Z-height to go negative. The stand will be placed on a level above desk height, so that's why arms for both positioning them while in use and also getting them out of the way when not are desired.

This exist somewhere or am I chasing something that isn't real?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
All the cheap ones sag.
If not today...

So i suggest investing in an ergotron arm.
LX is the light series
HX the heavy duty one

Even the light variant looks great:
20240106_025627.jpg

The small hex in the middle is where you tighten that axis

ps there usually is a second hand market for these if you want to hunt one down for cheap

And don´t always believe the "max inch" statement on the first page.
That has more to do with artificial marketing segmentation.

Use the ergotron monitor search function which will give you a green light for even bigger ones.

Since it´s german i´ve already picked the desk clamp and all "moveability" options for you (they don´t do pivot):

https://www.ergotron.shop/monitorhalterung/?order=price-asc&p=1&properties=0189978c7dc772b1bee11d0ba1de4013|e5b1501dfb2e48c3b92109dd9bb43221|42ef455118144858b01f93f3f9b81f18|e40f22eb8f014fd6af460329118bdbd5|05f606307dee40aa939c9e61b3924cfa|5ed6935c435a484d87345b67bffb7a14

Last edited:
due to tipping, id think...
That would be dependent on the size and weight of the stand. To be pedantic, if I attached two ergo arms with 32” monitors to a 2 ton cement pylon, obviously there is no chance that will tip over short of a catastrophic act of GOD or a literal crane.

So, I suppose what I’m asking for is something between that level of absurdity and some flimsy 15lbs stand.

All the cheap ones sag.
If not today...

So i suggest investing in an ergotron arm.
LX is the light series
HX the heavy duty one

Even the light variant looks great:
View attachment 625045
The small hex in the middle is where you tighten that axis

ps there usually is a second hand market for these if you want to hunt one down for cheap

And don´t always believe the "max inch" statement on the first page.
That has more to do with artificial marketing segmentation.

Use the ergotron monitor search function which will give you a green light for even bigger ones.

Since it´s german i´ve already picked the desk clamp and all "moveability" options for you (they don´t do pivot):

https://www.ergotron.shop/monitorhalterung/?order=price-asc&p=1&properties=0189978c7dc772b1bee11d0ba1de4013|e5b1501dfb2e48c3b92109dd9bb43221|42ef455118144858b01f93f3f9b81f18|e40f22eb8f014fd6af460329118bdbd5|05f606307dee40aa939c9e61b3924cfa|5ed6935c435a484d87345b67bffb7a14
Problem is all Ergotron stands require either a clamp or drilling a hole. Neither of which are options. If there was a clamp that could be secure with less than 1/2” of lip, then it would be an option, but as far as I can see that is significantly less secure than an actual stand.

(And I do mean half an inch. A single inch would be enough, but there is no way with 1/2”)

That would be dependent on the size and weight of the stand. To be pedantic, if I attached two ergo arms with 32” monitors to a 2 ton cement pylon, obviously there is no chance that will tip over short of a catastrophic act of GOD or a literal crane.

So, I suppose what I’m asking for is something between that level of absurdity and some flimsy 15lbs stand.

Problem is all Ergotron stands require either a clamp or drilling a hole. Neither of which are options. If there was a clamp that could be secure with less than 1/2” of lip, then it would be an option, but as far as I can see that is significantly less secure than an actual stand.

(And I do mean half an inch. A single inch would be enough, but there is no way with 1/2”)

I mean, sure, but due to the concept of leverage, creating a stand that could actually support a 20-30 LBS weight at a distance of, say, 2-3 feet, would require a lot of weight and maybe footprint. The only reason stock monitor stands work fine without much investment is that the monitor is so close that the force due to gravity is basically all transferred directly to the stand without much torque (although many of them are still quite large and/or heavy because leverage is that powerful...).

Clamps work because the desk basically has to snap before the mount fails.

If you want to make your own, just buy a cheap gas monitor arm mount complete with a pole. Most of them come with a bolt hole in the middle that also screws into the clamp portion. Take a piece of wood, drill a hole the size of that bolt, screw it into the wood and then also screw it into the mounting pole. Then buy some 40-50+ LBS gym weights and tie them to the wooden block.

You can use a small 2x4 or thinner piece of wood and put it between the bottom of the desk and the clamp.

I mean, sure, but due to the concept of leverage, creating a stand that could actually support a 20-30 LBS weight at a distance of, say, 2-3 feet, would require a lot of weight and maybe footprint. The only reason stock monitor stands work fine without much investment is that the monitor is so close that the force due to gravity is basically all transferred directly to the stand without much torque (although many of them are still quite large and/or heavy because leverage is that powerful...).

Clamps work because the desk basically has to snap before the mount fails.
We agree on all points. My reason for wanting this stand is due to the desk it's going on to being what it is.

My goal is not to sound like an AH about it, but the requirement isn't arbitrary.
If you want to make your own, just buy a cheap gas monitor arm mount complete with a pole. Most of them come with a bolt hole in the middle that also screws into the clamp portion. Take a piece of wood, drill a hole the size of that bolt, screw it into the wood and then also screw it into the mounting pole. Then buy some 40-50+ LBS gym weights and tie them to the wooden block.
Right. The short version is that this setup isn't for me. And like anyone in this position, my goal is to be IT support for the least amount I have to if at all. If this was my setup then I'd sooner buy a new desk and use traditional methods than deal with any of these problems. But I like likely a lot of other people on this forum would design their workspace with the PC in mind first as that is where most of my work would be getting done anyway. This person does not.

A mid-century accounting/banking desk (or whatever it's called, but that was its function) is simply not designed with PC's in mind. But that's what I have to work with.

Making a stand is probably not what I want to do here either.

You can use a small 2x4 or thinner piece of wood and put it between the bottom of the desk and the clamp.
Someone actually done this? It would be nice to see a video about how stable it is and how much setup it requires. This also would have to not damage the desk in anyway.

Last edited:
Back