Pixel 7 / Pixel 7 Pro / Pixel 7a

My wife hasn't complained about her P7 yet, so I guess I haven't been bitten :D.

At this point, I'm mulling over trying the Android 15 Beta. The Google rep emphatically said something on the order of "No! Don't do it!" but at this point, what difference does it make?

Another chat from this morning with Google gave the same response, where the only other option they'd give is to trade in my "defective" Pixel 7 for something at the Google Store.

They would give me a whopping $143 for it, assuming that everything was fine with it. I'm sure that they would "find" various defects, even though it's in pristine physical condition...

I have a Pixel 7 Pro that I got when I went to Mint Mobile. This replaced a Samsung Note 9 I got from AT&T as a free "upgrade" during the mandatory VoLTE switchover since my Microsoft Lumia 950XL would no longer be supported.

My general experience with Android on the Note 9 was that Android was janky. Apps would sometimes work and sometimes not with no rhyme or reason as to why, and the fact that I even NEED apps to do basic phone shit that was just built-in to my Windows phone was very annoying. My experience with my Pixel 7 Pro is that Android is STILL janky despite being a few full revisions newer than what was on that Note 9... and so is this phone on top of that. I have regular and continuous performance stuttering even in the UI. Sometimes features work and sometimes they don't. Sometimes it will let me receive phone calls, and sometimes it goes straight to voicemail despite being in a good signal area. Sometimes WiFi connects and works fine, sometimes it connects and acts like there is no internet connection at all. Sometimes it runs hot while seemingly doing nothing (and monitoring software confirms there's nothing running). Sometimes it burns through battery like there's no tomorrow. I will say Android Auto is great... when it actually works (Whole 'nuther set of problems with this and my 2017 Lincoln MKZ). Usually a reboot resolves these things when they happen (except the performance stuttering - that's ALWAYS there). I had really expected the Google-made phone to work really well with the Google-made Operating System and be an overall better experience than the Note 9, but it's all pretty shit. God, I miss my Windows phone...

Side note: My daughter is now using that AT&T Note 9 on Mint and that was a major pain in the ass to make happen. AT&T refused to unlock the phone despite it being a free upgrade from them the year prior due to the VoLTE switch. AT&T said it was impossible to do, but a third-party phone unlock company got it going (despite bait-and-switch nickel and diming me until my "$30 unlock" ended up being a little over $100). She's happy with it.

At this point, I'm mulling over trying the Android 15 Beta. The Google rep emphatically said something on the order of "No! Don't do it!" but at this point, what difference does it make?

Another chat from this morning with Google gave the same response, where the only other option they'd give is to trade in my "defective" Pixel 7 for something at the Google Store.

They would give me a whopping $143 for it, assuming that everything was fine with it. I'm sure that they would "find" various defects, even though it's in pristine physical condition...

I've never had that problem trading things in with Google. Take a few pictures before you send it in with the IMEI number displayed.

Update...

Trying the Android 15 Beta didn't fix things, although the phone did feel a bit more responsive after it.

None of the reputable local 3rd party repair centers said that they could work on it, or even open it up, that they could only send it to Google, and have them take a look. Here again, all of them gave the same line, that it would cost hundreds of dollars in the end through Google.

Needless to say, this has been a most frustrating process, and since the buyout costs of my Pixel 7 ends up being about the same, I'm probably going to bite the bullet, and use it as trade-in with the local Verizon store.

I can already imagine how frustrating it's going to be to activate the new phone, since trying to do it myself will require a verification code from the old phone...

Update...

Trying the Android 15 Beta didn't fix things, although the phone did feel a bit more responsive after it.

None of the reputable local 3rd party repair centers said that they could work on it, or even open it up, that they could only send it to Google, and have them take a look. Here again, all of them gave the same line, that it would cost hundreds of dollars in the end through Google.

Needless to say, this has been a most frustrating process, and since the buyout costs of my Pixel 7 ends up being about the same, I'm probably going to bite the bullet, and use it as trade-in with the local Verizon store.

I can already imagine how frustrating it's going to be to activate the new phone, since trying to do it myself will require a verification code from the old phone...
I assume you tried to reset it? or at least reset the network settings? I forget whats in the boot menu but you could look around in there.

I assume you tried to reset it? or at least reset the network settings? I forget whats in the boot menu but you could look around in there.

Yes. I tried every combination of resetting available on the phone, from network reset, to factory reset, and no bueno.

I ended up paying the buyout, and getting a Samsung S24, my cell phone bill being the same (minus having paid the buyout fee, but also getting some money back in the way of the trade-in).

That was a story in and of itself, trying to get it activated, where I tried to activate it at home, but they kept saying "please type in the verification code sent to your old phone!"

Since my Pixel wasn't connecting to the cell phone network, that was impossible, so I tried to ask the online agents on Verizon's site to activate it.

Even though I explained that my old phone can't receive a signal, they still said "we are sending a verification code to your old phone. You must type it in to activate the phone."

I ended up going back to the Verizon store, and having them activate it, since the online tech support people were as useless as tits on a boar, simply reading flow charts.

Best way around this is to go into your google account and temporarily deactivate MFA, and enable it again after.

You can either do it from the phone before you trade it in, or if you have an authenticated browser session do it from there.

Is anyone else having charge port issues with their phone? I've only had this 7 pro for a few weeks now, and the USB-C port already seems to be going bad.

It's going to such to have to eat another deductible on the protection plan to get that fixed :/

Is anyone else having charge port issues with their phone? I've only had this 7 pro for a few weeks now, and the USB-C port already seems to be going bad.

It's going to such to have to eat another deductible on the protection plan to get that fixed :/

My P7 (not the Pro) has been fine for ~1.5 years, FWIW.

Maybe a bad charger or cable? Pocket lint packed into the phone's port? Does it charge properly wirelessly?

Yes. I tried every combination of resetting available on the phone, from network reset, to factory reset, and no bueno.

I ended up paying the buyout, and getting a Samsung S24, my cell phone bill being the same (minus having paid the buyout fee, but also getting some money back in the way of the trade-in).

That was a story in and of itself, trying to get it activated, where I tried to activate it at home, but they kept saying "please type in the verification code sent to your old phone!"

Since my Pixel wasn't connecting to the cell phone network, that was impossible, so I tried to ask the online agents on Verizon's site to activate it.

Even though I explained that my old phone can't receive a signal, they still said "we are sending a verification code to your old phone. You must type it in to activate the phone."

I ended up going back to the Verizon store, and having them activate it, since the online tech support people were as useless as tits on a boar, simply reading flow charts.

Can't you just move the old sim to get SMS codes sent by Verizon?

Back