U.S. issues warning to NVIDIA, urging to stop redesigning chips for China

it's not like they don't already have spies over here that can just purchase them, box them up and ship them over there anyway. but i guess it doesn't hurt to throw a monkey wrench in their gears. like we've done with nuclear technology with n. korea and iran
Which they currently do the Chinese Military supposedly has a good number of the H100's already obtained from where ever they get them, hell they probably have an inside guy at the AIB who just messed up a shipping label and they get dropped off at some empty lot in the middle of Utah where it gets re packaged and delivered as Aid supplies to Africa where it can be received and sent out to China.

Even though I'm completely opposed to supporting China in just about any way, how is this law even enforceable? All they have to do is sell them to a front in Ukraine that ships them straight to China.
The next side of this is they then will be required to itemize and track who each device is sold to and lock it down via hardware licensing requirements likely in some form of phoning home to a centralized authorization server.

So the 7900xtx just sneaks in under but the 4080 and 4090 don't :( feel bad for the Chinese gamers out there.
I highly doubt any of these GPUs are going to gamers in China who aren't part of the upper-class.
All of these will be utilized for State-sanctioned technologies, services, and AI developments.

Even though I'm completely opposed to supporting China in just about any way, how is this law even enforceable? All they have to do is sell them to a front in Ukraine that ships them straight to China.
Same way China gets around our restrictions. Build a plant in Mexico (BYD), sell to US.

I highly doubt any of these GPUs are going to gamers in China who aren't part of the upper-class.
All of these will be utilized for State-sanctioned technologies, services, and AI developments.
Those street view facial recognition cameras arent gonna detect themselves.

Those street view facial recognition cameras arent gonna detect themselves.
Exactly, and why GPU edge servers are becoming a major necessity for vision inferencing (surveillance), much like the Lenovo ThinkEdge Series, as covered by STH.

LenovoSE360-V2-SE360-V2-June-2023.jpg

Exactly, and why GPU edge servers are becoming a major necessity for vision inferencing (surveillance), much like the Lenovo ThinkEdge Series, as covered by STH.

View attachment 645396
I'm not sure if I'm less concerned that the us is keeping all this technology for itself or not. Trying to at least.
A growing part of me wants to just say fuck everything and live in the forest with a couple pigs and some chickens.
Edit
Actually pigs are ass holes, ducks.

I'm not sure if I'm less concerned that the us is keeping all this technology for itself or not. Trying to at least.
A growing part of me wants to just say fuck everything and live in the forest with a couple pigs and some chickens.
Edit
Actually pigs are ass holes, ducks.
Lenovo is a Chinese corporation headquartered out of both Hong Kong and Beijing, which means that since Q4 2021 it is directly owned and controlled by the CCP.
It definitely is using tech that is developed and distributed by the USA, though, so it's probably both of them at this point? :whistle:

At least it isn't year of the pig? :D

pig.jpg

Reactions: travm
like this
I'm betting China already has access to the chips. This deal was thwarted, but I doubt it was the only scheme for China to acquire what they want.

In the end all we are doing is encouraging domestic production in China which will actually hurt more for the west in the long run.

In the end all we are doing is encouraging domestic production in China which will actually hurt more for the west in the long run.
Chip manufacturing is in Taiwan and South Korea. They just have to move board assembly out of China.

Chip manufacturing is in Taiwan and South Korea. They just have to move board assembly out of China.
You make that sound easy, this will likely end up as a case study in international logistics. It’s not a small supply chain that they have to completely reform to facilitate that move.

The Chinese military will get the cards through fronts or 3’rd parties but they will get them.
The only thing this does is short term stunt Chinese enterprise and business from competing against other companies, and remove the additional supply constraints adding China to the availability would cause.
American companies didn’t want to be in a bidding war against Chinese companies for the GPU’s so they lobbied congress to get them cut off. Probably reduced the price of the systems by half because if China was allowed to buy them they would in large quantities and Nvidia can’t hope to meet the demand without Chinese availability let alone with it.
It will also give them a 5 year head start on development and patents and other items which keeps them ahead of the pack.
Congress can rant about national security till their blue in the face, but this was 100% about the money.
And as others have said the only thing it will do is spur Chinese R&D on their own product line which they will keep for themselves.

Back