Using a low end B650 as a temporary board using a 7900x/4090/32GB DDR5/1250W PSU

Had to RMA my ASRock X670E Taichi board and apparently it will take a while to be processed, in the meantime I'm looking at the cheapest temporary board to use for the moment because the store where I purchased my AsRock board did not give me a specific timeframe on how long the RMA process will take, according to the guy it will "take a while", and I'm left without a motherboard to use my recently purchased hardware.

Currently looking at this one:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B650M-K-rev-10#kf

I have a 7900x, 32gb DDR5 @ 6000MHZ and a Gigabyte 4090 Master Aorus along with a 1250W Coolermaster PSU, will this board handle such high end hardware? I don't feel like buying another expensive board, I want my board back after the RMA is completed.

Will a budget low end board be sufficient enough to provide horsepower to handle high end hardware? The last thing I want is either the CPU, or GPU to fry my entire computer because a cheap motherboard doesn't have enough VRM to handle it.

The lowest end $125 B650 will do it, and probably boot faster as well. The limiting factor of AM5 is not how big of a VRM they stacked on it or how many layers the board is. Personally I like the ASRock B650M-HDV better than they Gigabyte one, but they're all about the same. The only boards that struggle are the A620s, they have a much lower current cap for the CPU so you won't get any boost out of it.

Alright thanks, that's all I need to know. Didn't really pay any attention to the A620's, as I knew those boards are designed for lower tier hardware and will not take full advantage of higher tier hardware, my guess if I were to purchase one of those it won't bring my hardware to it's full potential.

Alright thanks, that's all I need to know. Didn't really pay any attention to the A620's, as I knew those boards are designed for lower tier hardware and will not take full advantage of higher tier hardware, my guess if I were to purchase one of those it won't bring my hardware to it's full potential.

It'll run on A620 you'll just see very low boost clocks on the CPU. I'd go for one of the B650 boards. What was the original problem that you needed to RMA the motherboard?

I accidently broke two of the pins in one of the USB3 header resulting in non functioning of the port when plugged and therefore I cannot use 2 of my USB ports in front of the case, I have 4 front USB3 ports on my new PC case. Pretty annoyed with that, those stupid pins are very fragile. I was expecting that the store would not accept my RMA due to physical damage but they accepted it and will ship it back to AsRock which can be a rather lengthy process so I need a new temporary board because I'm not willing to fork out another $500+ for another high end board, I'm just going to wait for AsRock to either repair my board or send me a new one.

yup. i smashed a couple in my header but luckily was able to bend them back up. also, as already stated, this board youre asking about will work just fine.

BIC .07 mechanical pencils are great for that, I used to carry one in my toolbox when I was an Avionics guy. The tip fits right over most pins and is soft enough not to damage anything.

BIC .07 mechanical pencils are great for that, I used to carry one in my toolbox when I was an Avionics guy. The tip fits right over most pins and is soft enough not to damage anything.
dont recall if it was a bic, but i did use a mech pencil :)

If you're looking for the cheap board, go for Asrock B650M HDV.
I have this board and it's feature set already better than last gen x570/b550 boards, and cheaper of course with support for PCIE gen 5 for Nvme / storage.

You may try to look for the shop that give you chance for 30-days return so that when your x670 board has finished RMA'd, then you can return the b650 board.

you'll have to watch the vids but i think there were a few of the cheap boards that had some vrm's that were overheating but would prob be ok if using a low power chip. good vids tho, def worth taking a look at if you haven't made a purchase yet. i would also say unless you specifically needed pcie 5 or some other feature, B650 chipset would prob be the way to go this gen if you are budget minded.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTFUa60ozKY

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtHOOyWYiic

Last edited:
Back