vp171 or sony x73???

sawman5

n00b
I need some input. I am deciding between the vp171 and sony x 73 lcd. If you guys have had experience with both of these monitors, I would like your input. How does one compare to the other. Are they about the same or is one better than the other?

Thanks for the input.

I have the sonyhx73 its perfict went threw 5 montors befor i got this one nec samsung viewsonic ect. Great for games This montor is a 10+ in my book.

I'm assuming you read my review ?

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=692931

Be aware that the Viewsonic uses 262,000 colors and dithers the rest for 16+ million whereas the Sony spec is 16+ million.

There is some debate about this, but Viewsonics official website leaves
the colors spec out of its feature least. Sometimes a best choice can be made on what is not there, but should be.

Ugh... this again. Look the fact of the matter is that Sony uses the same technology as Viewsonic. It may not be the same panel... but it uses the exact same 262,000 color dithering method as ALL OTHER 17' panels, except the HyDis ones (Prophetview and Hyundai Q17), which are 24bit color. The bottom line is that if something isn't 24bit it's 18bit as far as LCD's are concerned (anything that says 16.2 million is 18bit). Sony claims this (as other manufacturers do) because the 262,000 colors when dithered DO produce 16.2 million colors that the human eye can distinguish. Color depth is NOT an advantage of the Sony. Read here for more information...

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=704378

If msny keeps pimpin' his monitor so much, we're gonna have to start calling him The Titan or somethin'

haha, i guess msny REALLY likes his Sony X73.

Well, i was researching and reading forums for over a month looking for a 17" LCD panel. And I finally went with the Sony X73 last week. I am VERY picky, but I am very pleased with this X73 monitor. It won't disapoint you.

I looked at the ViewSonic monitors also, but they are either too pricy (VP 171b) or their other models' ergonomic is not as good as the sony X73. Quality-wise, i think Sony and Viewsonic should have similar qualities.

I was also concerned about the 16.2million colors and using the dithering method, but I am sure you will never be able to tell the difference between dithering method and true 16.7million colors.

And I do not have the flickering problem with some color with the Sony when using DVI connection. The interpolation when using lower resolutions when playing games is pretty good also.

Overall, it's a great monitor.

I bought a vp171b from dell, but it's backordered, so I'm still looking around for good deals. I got it for $470 shipped, which I thought was pretty good.

if they're both based off the same panel (which i assume is correct), then really opt for either of them.

Nope, they aren't based on the same panel.... same technology. Just meaning that they are both 18bit (262,000) color panels, which can effectively produce 16.2 million colors through dithering. The VP171B(and S) use an AU Opt panel used by MANY others. The Sony supposedly uses it's own panel. I'm not saying it's a bad panel. It looked as good as the VP171B I now have for the week or so I had the X73 (and then later the HX73). I traded in for the VP171B because of a color flickering problem that occurred using the DVI connection (which one other person has also said they saw). It's quite possible that we both got monitors from the same bad batch, as no one else verifies this. Or it could be that our eyes are a bit more sensitive. Some people can use a CRT at 75Hz no problem, other scream and yell about flickering with anything less than 120Hz. The bottom line is that the only way to make a decision on any LCD for YOUR system is to hook it up to your system and check it out. My recommendation, especially if you're interested in the X73, is to pick up a HX73 (exact same panel from Circuit City). This seems to be in stock at virtually all their locations. If it works fine, take it back within their 14 day window and then order the X73 from Newegg or some other online store for a reasonable price. CompUSA and BestBuy often carry either the VP171B or S.

Ugh... this again. Look the fact of the matter is

This is YOUR specualtion (not fact) and granted you could be right, but I have read differently and even gave a linkage showing the difference. The problem is no one can tell which panel FOR SURE went into any one OEM's final product....but as I have stated, I find it VERY CURIOUS that Viewsonic does not offically give the colors supported in the web specs.

For others who have not seen the linkage and chart here it is, you decide. Clearly, ONLY the ViewSonic VP171B is rated at 262,000 colors.

http://www.upandrunning.bc.ca/technotes/lcdtechnology/lcdtechnology.htm

Quote & Chart:

"We worked closely with VESA and NEC during our last few LCD reviews to assure our testing procedures were correct. Unfortunately, it seems as if not all manufacturers adhere to the same standards. LCD substrates are always produced to a certain specification, whether it be 250cd/m^2 or 16ms, etc. These specifications are straight from the OEM (LG.Philips, AUO). However, manufacturers usually retest the final product after assembling all of the components (including bezel and stand). Sometimes, if the manufacturer ends up with a more desirable figure, that figure goes into the final specification ."

Brightness (cd/m2) Colors Contrast Ratios
NEC 1760NX
260 16,200,000 450:1
ViewSonic VP171B
260 262,000 500:1
Hitachi CML174
260 16,700,000 400:1
BenQ FP767
260 16,000,000 500:1
Planar PX171M
260 16,700,000 400:1
AUOptronics (OEM)
260 262,000 450:1

"As you can see, there are some clear irregularities, even though all of these monitors are produced from the same panel. Our general rule of thumb is to find the OEM for every monitor we review. Thus, when we looked at the Hitachi CML174, we compared our specification expectations with that of the AUO specifications. On the next page, you will see a short table of how each test is conducted for LCDs."

.................................................................................

If they are from the same panel, the article states they can still be different specs and clearly the colors are speced differently

No, it's not speculation. All this proves is that the other manufacturers choose to use the 16.2 million colors which it can display (to the human eye) as opposed to the actual 262,000 color PALETTE that it actually uses to create those colors. I mean come on, all the manufacturers in that chart are using the IDENTICAL panel... you're saying that the other manufacturers somehow made it go from 262,000 to 16.2 million on their own?

And, to reitterate as I did in the other thread I linked to.... a panel can't be 16.2 million color palette natively. Because 16.2 million is not a xxbit color depth. They HAVE to go in powers of two. Since 16.7 million is 24bit (2^23 + 2^22 + 2^21 .... + 2^0 ) if the Sony isn't 16.7 it must be at the most the next power down... which would make it 23bit (which doesn't exist as far as monitors go, but for demo purposes), but again that would only give ROUGHLY 8million supported colors, assuming it's not dithering.

The 16.2 that the Sony claims is NO DIFFERENT than the 16.2 million that any of the others on that chart claim. Ie, they are all using a 262,000 color panel using dithering... 18bit.

Seriously msny, have you seen a VP171B in the stores? I've had both it and the X73 side by side... when viewing a full color photo they look identical. If the VP171B were actually only capable of showing 262,000 colors to the human eye, do you have any idea how AWFUL a full color photo would look??

Remember... colors displayed to the human eye, and the palette that it creates those colors from are different things. Viewsonic chooses to report the palette, other manufacturers report the viewable colors.

Back