What are your favorite LAN party games?

I ran an annual LAN party around July 4th holiday every year for the last 20 years until last year - sadly almost everyone has moved away not making it worth the effort now.

It may be a controversial suggestion, but Supreme Commander 2 is a great LAN party game. The single player sucks, but the multiplayer is easy to pick up for people that are not hardcore into RTS (in general) and Supreme Commander/FA (in particular, as the in-game economy in SupCom 1 is like nothing else). SupCom 2 also has the benefit of being cheap on Steam. For hardcore RTS fans in your LAN party there is Supreme Commander Forged Alliance, and you can always try Beyond All Reason - it's not on Steam, but it IS a free community made RTS based on Total Annihilation (same progenitor of RTS gaming that SupCom descended from). Other RTS honorable mentions for LAN party fun include Command & Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath, Warhammer 40,000 - Dawn of War: Soulstorm, and Kohan 2: Kings of War.

Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion was also a mainstay game for us. This one is pretty popular so I won't dwell on it. Stellaris is also an honorable mention here. I will say that Stellaris with all of the expansions is very expensive if you haven't been keeping up with DLC releases, but like Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion, only the hosting player has to have them all for everybody in the match to benefit. Both of these games are time sinks though - you'll be playing the same match for MANY HOURS. It IS easy to save and resume later if people want to take a break from the match, though.

A couple of years back, someone suggested Heroes of Might & Magic III as a good LAN party game, but I disagree. It's strictly turn based and that means there are loooonnnngggg gaps between player turns with more than 2 players. Also, there is no Auto-Resolve for battles, and battles can take a while. A much better alternative is Age of Wonders (any version from the original on up through 4 and including Planetfall) as all of the Age of Wonders games support simultaneous turns where the new turn doesn't roll over until every player has completed their turn. It dramatically improves the wait between turns -- just make sure you have the game set to auto-resolve battles. Like Sins of a Solar Empire and Stellaris, these games are time sinks that will eat up MANY HOURS and can also be saved and resumed later.

Another good LAN game is Demigod. It's an early MOBA from Stardock and Gas Powered Games designed using the Supreme Commander engine and released before the Free-To-Play model that you see in all the MOBAs now was a thing -- when you buy it, you get the entire game. It's pretty cheap on Steam. It has a lot of interesting ideas I've never seen taken up in other MOBAs before or since and is a blast to play with up to 10 people. Speaking of MOBAs, Smite is a fun and easy to pick up game at LAN - 5v5 custom matches are a hoot if you can balance the teams well. Smite is Free-to-Play, but that only allows you ~20 playable Gods. There is a one-time $30 purchase available (per player that wants it) to unlock all 100+ Gods in the game.

Post-QuakeCon announcement this year... Quake of course. Any flavor/iteration of it. Old school Doom 2 is insanely fun and seamless to get running on LAN whether you want a vanilla or modern experience. We had a good time churning through 32-player deathmatches on classic multiplayer maps pre-covid.

UT2004 is a damn good time though. We had a couple local LAN parties in Arizona that featured it and ran tournaments surrounding it. My favorite one was when they did custom maps + excessive mod for 4-players. The mod essentially made every weapon overpowered but I remember taking advantage of the bio rifle since it became more of a fractal-bio rifle as your charge now charged dozens of charged shots that exploded from a massive base lol.

UT99 is another great choice (and I still stand by it 100%.) If you set it up with the latest v469 community patch it'll run perfectly on modern hardware with extended quality of life settings available (direct input, crosshair customization, etc.) Assault in UT2004 doesn't hit as hard as it did in UT99 IMO and the base assault maps are a blast to run through against bots still.

Whether it's Quake or Unreal happening, instagib is the way to go to even the playing field and make the game enjoyable for everyone. Not everyone is familiar enough with the arsenal of an AFPS but one-shot hitscan weapons definitely let everyone enjoy the game fully in a deathmatch scenario.
I don't think instagib evens the playing field. I just dominate even harder with instagib and end up racking up 100 kills while everyone else is still at single digits.

What I usually do in Quake 3 is set handicap on my player and it gives me less health. And/or I only use the underpowered weapons.

Back