Who here likes big displays as their PC monitor? 40inch plus gang chime in

The coating came off much worse than I expected on the new model. And to the theme of this thread, the new one looks diminutive in a non-pleasing way...

(And that he was impressed with it having 240 Hz versus 120 Hz, but with his original CX having a BFI mode capable of an effective 300 Hz or more in terms of motion, but which I don't think he was very familiar with...)

Last edited:
The coating came off much worse than I expected on the new model. And to the theme of this thread, the new one looks diminutive in a non-pleasing way...

(And that he was impressed with it having 240 Hz versus 120 Hz, but with his original CX having a BFI mode capable of an effective 300 Hz or more in terms of motion, but which I don't think he was very familiar with...)

Well his biggest complaint about WOLED was the text clarity, seems to be a really important factor for him given that he's using it for a lot of text work hours a day and in that regard the text clarity of the Alienware is way better due to the subpixel layout and increased PPI. BFI is available on the CX yes but not the C2 and he was coming from the C2 so 240Hz would be a clear upgrade over the C2. Both the C2 and Alienware have their pros and cons and it's just that for him the Alienware ended up being the better display suited for his needs, but for someone else I can easily see the C2 being the better choice for them.

The company which made JOLED panels (more regular pixel layout, pro-grade color reproduction) folded a month or two ago.

I wonder if LG and/or Samsung did anything shady to choke them out of selling panels.

The company which made JOLED panels (more regular pixel layout, pro-grade color reproduction) folded a month or two ago.

I wonder if LG and/or Samsung did anything shady to choke them out of selling panels.

I don't think anything shady went on.

JOLED was always super expensive and sadly just never came down in price. The only thing they had going for them was normal monitor sized panels. Once LG and Samsung started making smaller screens it was over for JOLED.

I don't think anything shady went on.

JOLED was always super expensive and sadly just never came down in price. The only thing they had going for them was normal monitor sized panels. Once LG and Samsung started making smaller screens it was over for JOLED.
Well apparently it was brand markup. Because INNOCN has had a 32inch JOLED for about $1000, for 8 - 10 months.

I've got that Star Trek OG communicator, but your Enterprise is awesome!!
Oh thank you!

Got the communicator in my little vintage telephony section there. :)

The Enterprise is the Tomy diecast. (I had missed the project fundraising/build window, but had managed to get on a wait list after I saw an unboxing on YouTube last year.)

I have a C2 and have 0 font rendering issues. Not everyone has superhuman eyeballs. I thiink the C2 having bad fonts is hugely overblown. I literally have no issues with blurriness or aliasing. They are just smooth and sharp on my panel.

I have a C2 and have 0 font rendering issues. Not everyone has superhuman eyeballs. I thiink the C2 having bad fonts is hugely overblown. I literally have no issues with blurriness or aliasing. They are just smooth and sharp on my panel.

Yes but as I've said in a lot of these threads, I think people are so vocal about the text fringing because a lot of people are shoe-horning a 42"+ sized 4k gaming tv directly on top of their desk.

#5 - if you aren't willing to decouple the screen of a 42" or larger oled gaming tv from the desk on its own mount a little farther away, don't be surprised if the pixels sizes look more like those of a 1400p - 1500p desktop monitor and you end up having to make some compromises on the non-RGB format text (e.g. heavily massaging text-ss, seeking out and using alternative text-ss methods, scaling the desktop 125% or more which loses desktop/app real-estate). Also don't be surprised if it's a stretch visual-ergonomics wise when mounted up close directly on top of a desk, or if you find the uniformity to the ends of the screen isn't quite as good + it having some distortion.

I also like posting those graphics I modded from some existing graphic elements:

Screens.at.60.to.50.deg.viewing.angle_42in.48in.screens_A.png

Field-of-view-comparisons-The-field-of-vision-of-a-human-showing-the-binocular.png

screen.optimal.viewing.angle_flat.screens_1.png

screen_viewing.too.near.non-optimal.viewing.angle_1.png

You seem to be saying that it's only b/c people "must have superhuman eyeballs", and that the bad fonts/fringing they say they are seeing aren't really bad, but you forgot to mention that your C2 is 48" size screen and that you were viewing it at about 44 inches away. :D At least that's what you stated in your quote below this.

You might not be aware of how pixels per degree (PPD), or perceived pixel density vs.distance works. At that 44" distance you'd be seeing 76 PPD, which is the far end of the (64 to) 60 to 50 degree central human viewing angle that I've been showing in replies (60 PPD , 64 PPD, 77 PPD respectively). So it's no wonder you'd find the pixels and text fringing small enough looking to your perspective to the point that it doesn't look bad. 44 inch view distance is a little farther away than I even typically view my own 48 CX 4k oled at ~ 40" +/-.

Your statement would be right if everyone was viewing their screen at the kinds of ranges of distances we both apparently do in relation to their screen size and viewing angle but that's not the case. It's the people cramming the screens right up on their regular desks that are seeing 51 PPD (or less), like a ~ 1500p desktop size'd screen's perceived pixel sizes. That's exacerbating issues and prob why people are more vocal about those things. You are kind of comparing apples and oranges since you are seeing much smaller pixel sizes perceptually. Comparing their large field of "1500p desktop monitor pixels" to your finer 4k PPD that is well over 60PPD at ~ 76 PPD, (and less problematic viewing angle too).

https://qasimk.io/screen-ppd/

Assuming you are still viewing it more within that 60 to 50 degree central viewing angle range that is. A lot of people don't realize how large of an effect, literally, sitting near to larger gaming tv's has on perceived pixel size (and viewing angle). Or they do but decide to attempt to use workarounds as much as possible and just suffer the end "as good as it can get at this distance" result (but like you said, a lot are still vocal about "it"). Bigger pixels, bigger problems, especially on non-RGB pixel layout vs text-ss trying to mask the pixel sizes as if they were an RGB layout.

It ends up being a measurable downgrade all around to view one like that imo. Not unusable or anything, but it's worse looking. It was the best deal in town though pretty much and there weren't any ~ 32" oleds with similar feature sets and price points back when a lot of people first bought their oled tvs for their desks. They were prob willing to make some compromises since the price was a pretty good deal for 4k, hdmi 2.1 VRR, HDR OLED (and glossy for those of us who love those). I remember a lot of people being reluctant to buy a 42" or 48" due to these factors, and some did wait on 32" or so 4k screens to show up. Of course there were probably a few whose eyes were bigger than their stomach and just think bigger = better all around, but like I said there are several facets that relate to each other.

I had a 32" 1440p screen at one point that I'd view at 24" then later ~29" back but it still only got 42 - 51 PPD. It looked poor compared to higher PPD screens even considering that it was rgb layout. Personally I don't want off axis pixels on the sides with just a larger field of ~ 1500p desktop monitor pixels, in layouts that aren't even rgb so that their pixel size could be masked some by text-ss better. So i decoupled my screen from my desk and moved the desk back some. Back to the sweet spot ranges.

LG C2 48in user here. It is a glossy screen. I use it for everything. Work, gaming, Win11 stuff, resumes. EVERYTHING. Never had a problem with it at night or in the day. Then again, glare doesn't bother my eyes at all. I am 6'2 and sit about 44 inches from the display at my desk.

Other than my kitten sneezing huge boogies on the panel and me having to clean it everyday, nothing beats it. Best TV as monitor I have ever owned. I mean it is great to me. I'll never buy another monitor again. OLED is great and TVs are making a good argument over buying monitors now for displays on dekstops.

Last edited:
I am definitely leaning towards a 40"+ screen. I figure minimum I want is 2 x 24" wide if I go ultrawide so I would need a 44" panel. After going down to one screen with my new build, I definitely need two screens or more width. Other option of course is going with something like a 34" 21:9 panel and just shifting this 24" 1080p monitor to a second monitor to hold me over.

My big issue is I sit at a desk in the middle of a room behind a couch and anything larger than a 27" in height blocks it so I can't watch TV while working. It is 30" deep but I usually sit about 20" from the screen so not to have the monitor right up against the couch.

Reactions: elvn
like this
Currently looking at this page from eight feet away on a 65 inch Panasonic professional plasma monitor (# TH-65PF11UK). Does that count as big?

It does time as movie screen and gaming monitor as well.

Currently I was just showing reasons why the people who complain about pixel density and text fringing on (oversized for a desk) 4k gaming tvs are likely being vocal like jara said they were, and why he is saying how great his screen looks.

If you use that PPD calculator you (Susquenhannock) are at what a lot of people watch their TV's at, which is the tv filling about half to 3/4 of their human central viewing angle. People viewing TVs in a living room typically go all the way past the human central viewing angle, because historically tvs are farther away due to room dimensions, furnishings, spacing, walking paths, etc. They were even smaller to your perspective a long time ago when most people had smaller tvs. Kids would sit on the floor to watch cartoons and shows at times. Same with people playing consoles on crt tvs.

https://qasimk.io/screen-ppd/

65" 4k screen at 8 feet away
= 33 deg viewing angle (human central viewing angle is 60 to 50 deg)
= 117 PPD which is really fine pixel sizes, more like a nearer 8k screen would be filling 60 deg.

That's more or less how my tv ends up being in my living room too. I don't like projectors so if I wanted to fill my central viewing angle with a screen there I'd need some 100"+ tv $$$ to fill the entire wall, or I'd have to sit almost twice as near. Neither of those is happening. Hopefully XR glasses will bring quality higher rez large virtual screen capability in the next 5 - 10 years (that and binocular 3d "holographic" media and games happening scaled on tables and floors, or in virtual break-aways of walls and ceilings). 😎

. . . . . .

Edit: just realized you said plasma so I'm assuming that means 1080p, so the PPD I quoted would be halved to ~ 58 PPD. Pretty close to the 1080p ~~> 60 PPD+ point there which is a lot for 1080p anyway. That's decent for media and consol-ish games but lacking in resolution real-estate grid wise for much else. 1080p is pretty cramped by today's standards desktop/app wise. Gaming detail can do 4k (or even slightly more optimal than that with supersampling types). Also 4k gaming textures etc are available in many games. DSR supersampling can improve 1080p like a "super anti-aliasing" - but PC-oriented games that have text/readouts, small units and stat sheets, panels, HUD elements, etc. benefit from the higher pixel grid / real-estate. Plasma are/were a good pq though. I've always been a fan of high contrast and deep black depths. 4k rez and HDR capability of screens have surpassed plasma in most facets, and OLED overall trumps most of the other benefits of plasma now.

65" 1080p screen at 8 feet away
= 33 deg viewing angle (human central viewing angle is 60 to 50 deg)
= 58 PPD

Last edited:
I am definitely leaning towards a 40"+ screen. I figure minimum I want is 2 x 24" wide if I go ultrawide so I would need a 44" panel. After going down to one screen with my new build, I definitely need two screens or more width. Other option of course is going with something like a 34" 21:9 panel and just shifting this 24" 1080p monitor to a second monitor to hold me over.

My big issue is I sit at a desk in the middle of a room behind a couch and anything larger than a 27" in height blocks it so I can't watch TV while working. It is 30" deep but I usually sit about 20" from the screen so not to have the monitor right up against the couch.

If no-one else is watching, can't you just use a smaller tv at your desk while working? It could still look pretty big to your perspective depending on size vs. distance. If you are following along while other people watch the tv, you could maybe figure out a way to mirror the tv to a screen at your desk using a hdmi splitter. Or get a big enough screen and a capture card so you can import the same tv stream to a big window or full-screen on one of your screens. I get the communal fire in the cave thing, or the central theater/stage aspect with "the" TV for people though too. Plus the tv's specs and features might come into play with your main tv being the best media showcase features wise. Might depend on your priorities on a lot of things.

Regarding your desk layout, a 34" 21:9 panel is prob the same height as a 27" screen ~ 13" or so. It's like a 27" screen with wings, 440 + 2560 +440 pixels. A 45" ultrawide would be taller though yeah. I think over 17" so closer to 18".
The G95NC "4k+4k" , "4k doublewide", that is 7680x2160 ends up around 17 inches tall I think since it's a lot wider in relation to it's vertical resolution. A few people with the budget for it have done an over-under setup with a gaming tv above a super-ultrwawide.

With a monitor arm or floor mount you could rest the screen right on top of the desk though, maybe even angle it upward toward your eyes a little. Also, kind of like backing a car up as you look over the dashboard and hood, the farther back your desk was from the screen the more you'd see over the top of it, depending on the layout.. There are standing desks or crank-arm craftsman tables you could use to adjust the height of the desk slightly lower too. Or maybe fabricate a desk with a drop out for the screens that keeps your peripheral area at a good height for your arms/wrists.

Idk.. there are a lot of options depending what you are interested in, room layouts, desk/bench/table types, monitor mounts/tv stands and such.

Last edited:
If no-one else is watching, can't you just use a smaller tv at your desk while working? It could still look pretty big to your perspective depending on size vs. distance. If you are following along while other people watch the tv, you could maybe figure out a way to mirror the tv to a screen at your desk using a hdmi splitter. Or get a big enough screen and a capture card so you can import the same tv stream to a big window or full-screen on one of your screens. I get the communal fire in the cave thing, or the central theater/stage aspect with "the" TV for people though too. Plus the tv's specs and features might come into play with your main tv being the best media showcase features wise. Might depend on your priorities on a lot of things.

Regarding your desk layout, a 34" 21:9 panel is prob the same height as a 27" screen ~ 13" or so. It's like a 27" screen with wings, 440 + 2560 +440 pixels. A 45" ultrawide would be taller though yeah. I think over 17" so closer to 18".
The G95NC "4k+4k" , "4k doublewide", that is 7680x2160 ends up around 17 inches tall I think since it's a lot wider in relation to it's vertical resolution. A few people with the budget for it have done an over-under setup with a gaming tv above a super-ultrwawide.

With a monitor arm or floor mount you could rest the screen right on top of the desk though, maybe even angle it upward toward your eyes a little. Also, kind of like backing a car up as you look over the dashboard and hood, the farther back your desk was from the screen the more you'd see over the top of it, depending on the layout.. There are standing desks or crank-arm craftsman tables you could use to adjust the height of the desk slightly lower too. Or maybe fabricate a desk with a drop out for the screens that keeps your peripheral area at a good height for your arms/wrists.

Idk.. there are a lot of options depending what you are interested in, room layouts, desk/bench/table types, monitor mounts/tv stands and such.

I have one of those long rectangular living rooms that is something like 21 feet by 11 feet with the desk at around 14 feet from the TV. The kitchen is one side and the other is a large sliding glass door so the desk and couch are against my kitchen bar which is also the only power within reach and even that is around the corner. Even though I have a side desk to make a L shape I only have probably 20" due to the bar overhang which is mostly taken up by my Fractal Torrent and the all in one printer. I keep debating on putting the Torrent on the floor, but I would need to find a good cart to raise it high enough off the ground while leaving clearance for the bottom fans, but not too high it hits the brace under the table. Most wheeled CPU carts, not sure why they are called CPU carts, were too high when I looked though it might fit squeezed between the support bar and the legs where the two tables touch which would give me more height.

As it is now I drop the 24" to the bottom of the height adjustment so it only has a height of 15.5 which lets me easily see over it even when sitting more relaxed. When gaming I would raise it so I was center on screen. When I sit up, the 27" would also be fine or slightly cut off the bottom of my TV. When looking 43-44" seem to be equal to two 24" but if I jump to 49" I am looking at two 27".

I thought about a floor mount, but I worry it might get bumped though wedged between the desk and couch it might not be bad especially if I can find one that lets me more put off to the side adjacent to the bar top though I probably need a desk mount for that.

Too many options, and having been out for 10 years makes it even more challenging. I need to go by BB again to look at floor models though last time I went they didn't have any setup to actually use and were all just a screen saver.

I figure I have some options that work for me.
1. Go 49" ultrawide something like the G9 Oled....this would mostly do away with the 24" monitor since not sure it would fit on the desk
2. Go 34" 21:9 something like the AW3423DWF while keeping the 24" 1080p as a second monitor
3. Go 27" 16:9 while keeping the 24" 1080p as a second monitor eventually retiring the 24" and upgrading to a 21:9 or 32:9 by the end of the year or early next

I have one of those long rectangular living rooms that is something like 21 feet by 11 feet with the desk at around 14 feet from the TV. The kitchen is one side and the other is a large sliding glass door so the desk and couch are against my kitchen bar which is also the only power within reach and even that is around the corner. Even though I have a side desk to make a L shape I only have probably 20" due to the bar overhang which is mostly taken up by my Fractal Torrent and the all in one printer. I keep debating on putting the Torrent on the floor, but I would need to find a good cart to raise it high enough off the ground while leaving clearance for the bottom fans, but not too high it hits the brace under the table. Most wheeled CPU carts, not sure why they are called CPU carts, were too high when I looked though it might fit squeezed between the support bar and the legs where the two tables touch which would give me more height.

As it is now I drop the 24" to the bottom of the height adjustment so it only has a height of 15.5 which lets me easily see over it even when sitting more relaxed. When gaming I would raise it so I was center on screen. When I sit up, the 27" would also be fine or slightly cut off the bottom of my TV. When looking 43-44" seem to be equal to two 24" but if I jump to 49" I am looking at two 27".

I thought about a floor mount, but I worry it might get bumped though wedged between the desk and couch it might not be bad especially if I can find one that lets me more put off to the side adjacent to the bar top though I probably need a desk mount for that.

Too many options, and having been out for 10 years makes it even more challenging. I need to go by BB again to look at floor models though last time I went they didn't have any setup to actually use and were all just a screen saver.

1. Go 49" ultrawide something like the G9 Oled....this would mostly do away with the 24" monitor since not sure it would fit on the desk
2. Go 34" 21:9 something like the AW3423DWF while keeping the 24" 1080p as a second monitor
3. Go 27" 16:9 while keeping the 24" 1080p as a second monitor eventually retiring the 24" and upgrading to a 21:9 or 32:9 by the end of the year or early next

Go 49".....do it.

You might want to check the screen size calculator web sites to get a better idea spatially in your head. You also might want to consider looking for some 3d home design apps or sites. Some of those are even able to do a 1st person fly-through like spectator mode in a game. Just a thought.

Regarding your fractal torrent pc case, I'd consider putting it on a group of some of the smaller black office/desk-sized "milk crates". I've done that before, making sure the bottom part of the crate's style (as the top surface when set upside down) was meshed/fenced for airflow from my psu on the bottom of a pc case. Otherwise setting the crates sideways. Any way that you aren't blocking airflow. That or some ornamental bricks/blocks or some other suitable college/office metal meshed container of whatever dimensions, even if you had to paint it.. When I did the mini-crates they were beneath my case alongside my desk, and their footprint was more or less the same size as my pc case, which was also black along with the crates so I thought it looked pretty decent. I did end up attaching the case to the side of the desk with a black strap/cable though just to be certain it could never fall over. Mesh screens for fan intakes was a must, esp. with 2 cats in the house at the time.

You might want to check the screen size calculator web sites to get a better idea spatially in your head. You also might want to consider looking for some 3d home design apps or sites. Some of those are even able to do a 1st person fly-through like spectator mode in a game. Just a thought.

Regarding your fractal torrent pc case, I'd consider putting it on a group of some of the smaller black office/desk-sized "milk crates". I've done that before, making sure the bottom part of the crate's style (as the top surface when set upside down) was meshed/fenced for airflow from my psu on the bottom of a pc case. Otherwise setting the crates sideways. Any way that you aren't blocking airflow. That or some ornamental bricks/blocks or some other suitable college/office metal meshed container of whatever dimensions, even if you had to paint it.. When I did the mini-crates they were beneath my case alongside my desk, and their footprint was more or less the same size as my pc case, which was also black along with the crates so I thought it looked pretty decent. I did end up attaching the case to the side of the desk with a black strap/cable though just to be certain it could never fall over. Mesh screens for fan intakes was a must, esp. with 2 cats in the house at the time.

The issue with the milk crate idea is I don't think it would fit under the desk. I only have 28.5" clearance without the center support bar or 26" with and the case is almost 21" leaving me less than 5" clearance unless I squeeze the case between the support bar and the legs of the adjacent table which gains me about 6" to leave a bit of clearance. With the power button on top this becomes an issue then. I could potentially put it raised between the two desks forming the L, but not sure I like having a gap between them so I would probably want to get a stand like this. I thought about the issue with airflow, but I figure on an open stand as long as the sides aren't blocked it is no different than sitting on the desk. I don't know if this desk would handle the strap idea well either since not quite sure the actual materials of the top.

I could also put it at the end of my desk, but would probably opt for a similar stand. While it would be still behind the couch I would be concerned it might get knocked over if not more protected when my brother brings his kids over or someone not watching while walking

2_12a67503-edff-479b-9eb3-ef4bd5515315.jpg

Of course with all this the thread has been derailed. I probably just need to start my own.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Reactions: elvn
like this
I hate to sound like a Best Buy salesman but anyone interested in a 77" QD-OLED that does 144Hz VRR, there is a killer deal on the Samsung S89C for $1799. Almost identical to the S90C from what I am reading. I had to grab one for the basement, it's too good of a price to pass on. And I'm going to be tempted to play some PC games on it, because I have already lost my mind with the 65" 95C so why the hell not?

I hate to sound like a Best Buy salesman but anyone interested in a 77" QD-OLED that does 144Hz VRR, there is a killer deal on the Samsung S89C for $1799. Almost identical to the S90C from what I am reading. I had to grab one for the basement, it's too good of a price to pass on. And I'm going to be tempted to play some PC games on it, because I have already lost my mind with the 65" 95C so why the hell not?
and you didnt post it in the hot deals section?

and you didnt post it in the hot deals section?

No sir, I posted it here in this thread because it's a big display that's well suited for PC use. But I suppose you're correct, it warrants a thread over there. You are welcome to remove my post if it was inappropriate.

No sir, I posted it here in this thread because it's a big display that's well suited for PC use. But I suppose you're correct, it warrants a thread over there. You are welcome to remove my post if it was inappropriate.
not inappropriate at all, just share it is all im sayin :)

not a single screen but hopefully still qualifies as a "big" display. :) 172 inches total screen area on an RTX 4080

Dead Space Remastered on 3x TH-60PF30U Panasonic Plasma Monitors @ 7080x3840@60hz downscaled to 3240x1920
20240417_175349 (1).jpg

Back