Windows 10 Won't Boot With Unsigned Display Driver

edo101

Limp Gawd
Hello, I have an unsual situation. I have a 3DTV hooked to an Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti. In order to play my games in 3D, I need to install an unsigned EDID drive for the TV. To do this, I had to disable driver signature enforcement. This used to work but ever since some updates (I can't point out which one) to my 22H2 version of Windows 10, my computer will go through UEFI bios but then boot to black screen.

The only way to get it to boot into Windows is by disconnecting my 3DTV pre boot. And then connecting it back after boot.

Is there a way to fix this? Is there some setting that came with Windows 10 recently that now prevents it from booting with unsigned drivers? I even tried booting the computer with my TV hooked up to it with unsigned driver under Disable Driver Signature Enforcement but it still won't boot. The only way again is to unhook my TV.

How can I fix this?

First, make sure you have a backup of the unsigned .inf file for the 3DTV. Next, remove the offending monitor from the device manager so you aren't prevented from booting up.

After this, try using CRU to import the unsigned .inf driver and apply the custom EDID for you.

Link: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU
I will look over that link. But QQ, how is it different from what I did. What I did was find the monitor in device manager, clicked on update driver, clicked on have disk then imported that EDID / inf file into the monitor. johnny0

I don't know what wizadry that program did but it worked. I can now boot into windows with that custom EDID. Thank you so much johnny0

Could you explain why it worked?

I don't know what wizadry that program did but it worked. I can now boot into windows with that custom EDID. Thank you so much johnny0

Could you explain why it worked?
it might apply the edid after boot. at least its workin!

CRU sets up EDID overrides via the registry instead of using unsigned drivers.
I spoke too soon. It works but only when I do a full shutdown. If I restart my computer, it won't boot. The monitor does show up as the custom EDID in Nvidia graphics but not in the device manager list. It still views it as a generic monitor. Any idea why? johnny0

I spoke too soon. It works but only when I do a full shutdown. If I restart my computer, it won't boot. The monitor does show up as the custom EDID in Nvidia graphics but not in the device manager list. It still views it as a generic monitor. Any idea why? johnny0
Do you have fast startup enabled? I think it is by default but I always disable it. So in actuality the issue might happen after a shutdown or restart.

It's worth a shot trying out the reset-all.exe program provided with CRU and re-importing / applying the .inf. If after doing this the EDID override still doesn't take automatically after a reboot, you may be running into a recent nvidia driver bug mentioned by ToastyX.

If the TV's built-in EDID is corrupt and the override isn't being respected, there's definitely a chance the video driver panics. E.g.: this thread.

It's worth a shot trying out the reset-all.exe program provided with CRU and re-importing / applying the .inf. If after doing this the EDID override still doesn't take automatically after a reboot, you may be running into a recent nvidia driver bug mentioned by ToastyX.

If the TV's built-in EDID is corrupt and the override isn't being respected, there's definitely a chance the video driver panics. E.g.: this thread.
For the first theory, the driver is an old Nvidia driver. 425.31. The last true on with 3D Vision so I am not sure if that theory would apply? Especially givenn that it has worked in the past with no issue with previous versions of Windows 10. It just is an issue with 22H2. I just restored my computer back to 20H2 and it works with the unsigned EDID no issues. Prior to installing 425 on any WIindows instlal, I always use DDU to wipe any trace of Nvidia or the Nvidia that comes with WIndows so I dont think it's the driver interfering. It seems Microsoft changed something in 22H2? johnny0

What is fast startup? Is it in BIOS or Windows? Dopamin3
1692118400961.png

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/so...-enable-or-disable-fast-startup-on-windows-11

For the first theory, the driver is an old Nvidia driver. 425.31. The last true on with 3D Vision so I am not sure if that theory would apply? Especially givenn that it has worked in the past with no issue with previous versions of Windows 10. It just is an issue with 22H2. I just restored my computer back to 20H2 and it works with the unsigned EDID no issues. Prior to installing 425 on any WIindows instlal, I always use DDU to wipe any trace of Nvidia or the Nvidia that comes with WIndows so I dont think it's the driver interfering. It seems Microsoft changed something in 22H2? johnny0
The reset done by the CRU utility should be more thorough than the single monitor device removal performed earlier. Maybe that thoroughness matters for your situation, maybe not. The intent of using CRU is to eliminate the monitor driver being unsigned as a suspect.

You may want to confirm that 22h2 isn't silently clobbering your 425.31 install. Simply wiping drivers isn't enough, you need to inhibit automatic driver installation too (modern DDU should have a checkbox for this).

The reset done by the CRU utility should be more thorough than the single monitor device removal performed earlier. Maybe that thoroughness matters for your situation, maybe not. The intent of using CRU is to eliminate the monitor driver being unsigned as a suspect.

You may want to confirm that 22h2 isn't silently clobbering your 425.31 install. Simply wiping drivers isn't enough, you need to inhibit automatic driver installation too (modern DDU should have a checkbox for this).
johnny0 Yep, I did check DDU to make it not install drivers. I also set my network on metered connection so Windows doesn't do any updates

Welp, so much for that idea. Thanks for confirming.

When you boot to a black screen, is the computer completely locked up? TV kicked to standby mode or fully on but outputting a black screen? Can you tap numlock on the keyboard and the LED cycles on and off, move the mouse cursor around, ping the machine, etc. when it's in this state?

When you boot to a black screen, is the computer completely locked up? TV kicked to standby mode or fully on but outputting a black screen? Can you tap numlock on the keyboard and the LED cycles on and off, move the mouse cursor around, ping the machine, etc. when it's in this state?
Quick questoin. How do I make sure I have completely purged the EDID/inf driver for the tv? Before I try patching it again johnny0

I believe part of the issue is that the tv's driver is not completely purged before I install the custom EDID which leaves the TV/Windows confused

To answer this quesitno, the mouse and keyboard is completely dead. THere is nothing. It's like it it dies booting. There's no signal from my I/O johnny0

This is so bizzarre. So let me tell you what happened in the last 24 hours. I reverted my computer back to 20H2. Flashed the EDID and it worked. Then I did an image of my compiuter and reverted it back to 22H2 to retry flashing. I got this issue again. But when I restored the 20H2 image again since it was working before, I ran into the failed boot situation again. So I wiped my Nvidia drivers and installed a different copy of the EDID. This worked. And I again imaged my 20H2 instllation. To test my corrupt EDID theory, I then went back to 22H2 again to see if maybe the old EDID was corrupted. But 22H2 again gave me a failed boot.

THen I reverted back to my new 20H2 image and bam the boot issue comes up again. I said okay no worries, I'll just wipe my 20H2 Nvidia drivers and reinstall the new EDID copy that worked just previously. However my computer now fails to boot. I can only get it to boot by either unpliugging the display or reverting back to generic pnp display. WHAT madness is this? johnny0

Quick questoin. How do I make sure I have completely purged the EDID/inf driver for the tv? Before I try patching it again johnny0

I believe part of the issue is that the tv's driver is not completely purged before I install the custom EDID which leaves the TV/Windows confused
Head into the device manager and go to the Monitors section. Double click on the listed monitors, head into the drivers section, and make sure the driver provider is Microsoft. If you're instead seeing something like your unsigned .inf, uninstall the device (or roll back to the generic windows driver). It's probably worth going to the view menu in the device manager and clicking "Show Hidden Devices". Remove any disconnected monitor entries that look suspect. You should be safe to remove every disconnected monitor... they'll just get added back the next time you plug them in.

You should be left with a Generic PnP Monitor. This is fine, leave it be and run the reset-all.exe program provided with CRU to clean up registry-based EDID overrides.

Use CRU to import the backed up monitor .inf and apply the EDID override. Do not apply the .inf to the monitor in the device manager.

This is so bizzarre.

The weird issues you're seeing when swapping around your 20H2/22H2 images may be related to the previously mentioned fast startup. The problem may have hidden/avoided for some time due to resuming from hibernation rather than a performing a full cold startup. The fast startup hibernation file will be included in your images unless you explicitly performed a full shut down before imaging.

Head into the device manager and go to the Monitors section. Double click on the listed monitors, head into the drivers section, and make sure the driver provider is Microsoft. If you're instead seeing something like your unsigned .inf, uninstall the device (or roll back to the generic windows driver). It's probably worth going to the view menu in the device manager and clicking "Show Hidden Devices". Remove any disconnected monitor entries that look suspect. You should be safe to remove every disconnected monitor... they'll just get added back the next time you plug them in.

You should be left with a Generic PnP Monitor. This is fine, leave it be and run the reset-all.exe program provided with CRU to clean up registry-based EDID overrides.

Use CRU to import the backed up monitor .inf and apply the EDID override. Do not apply the .inf to the monitor in the device manager.

The weird issues you're seeing when swapping around your 20H2/22H2 images may be related to the previously mentioned fast startup. The problem may have hidden/avoided for some time due to resuming from hibernation rather than a performing a full cold startup. The fast startup hibernation file will be included in your images unless you explicitly performed a full shut down before imaging.
So I did everything you mentioned but it still gives me the issue. It really only boots if I forcelly shut down the computer with my power button. When I click shutdown or when I hit restart, it fails to boot. I truly have no idea WTF is going on anymore. I never used to have this issue. What the hell happened to my computer? johnny0

In some evil twist of fate, all the images I had of previous windows versions I had now no longer boot. This issue has infected all my images retroactively somehow. How is this even possible? I just tried to load my 20H2 image that was working. An image I made months ago and it no longer boots

Last edited:
Damn, that sucks.

You may want to test with a clean slate. Fresh OS install, minimum components necessary, disable fast startup / hibernation ASAP.
It could be the OS environment, the .inf file, the TV, the graphics card, the HDMI cable, one of the ports on either end, etc..

Anyway, good luck narrowing things down, sorry it didn't end up being a simple fix.

Damn, that sucks.

You may want to test with a clean slate. Fresh OS install, minimum components necessary, disable fast startup / hibernation ASAP.
It could be the OS environment, the .inf file, the TV, the graphics card, the HDMI cable, one of the ports on either end, etc..

Anyway, good luck narrowing things down, sorry it didn't end up being a simple fix.
After weeks of trying and experimenting. It seems the issue itself is mainly due to Macrium IMage recovery. Whenever I restore an image, I quit booting properly with that EDID override. Not sure why though but now I know the cause johnny0

Back