Oldest gamer I know

I’m also admitting I’m half a century old. I’m about 110 hours into PC Forbidden West, and I sometimes question why am I still gaming. Good to see my life choices are still valid. 🤣.

I still have my late 70s Atari 2600, and I started PC gaming on my dad’s IBM XT with glorious games like Spectrum Holobyte’s PT-109 and Falcon.

The biggest danger for me is that my hobby (which pays quite a few of my bills) is designing and building modular synthesizer circuits. It's so satisfying. But a game like Factorio or Satisfactory or Astroneer will SUCK ME AWAY FROM MY SYNTH DESIGN because games like that scratch the exact same itch that circuit design does

You guys are still just being old grumps with rose tinted glasses for the past.

Yeah some new games are bad, but plenty of old games were absolute garbage too.

There's plenty of great games that don't do that stuff. And a lot of this stuff you're complaining about is easily avoidable and on you for agreeing to it. Early Access, wait for the full release. Buggy launch, wait for a patch. Microtransactions, don't buy them. Social media, why are you even looking at that? Shitty game, don't play it. There's so many actual good games to play. And you can always just play older games if you want.

Not every game from way back then included mod tools, a lot of them did not at all and people just figured out how to do things on their own.
There are plenty games that include mod tools (probably about the same as did back then) and some are going well beyond what they did back in the day. Look at what Fortnite is doing with UEFN. It's so much easier than it was back then It's something kids dreamed up. And on top of that there are game engines like Unreal and Unity that are completely free to make a full stand alone gams with.
Lets turn this into a pissing contest. Name some of these good modern games and bad old games. Lets set the epoch to 2006 for defining what old is, since that is when I would consider the microtransaction trend and social media influence to have started: Gaming is for everyone, people who play Farmville are just as much a gamer as people who play Halo, etc.

So...

1986-2005 = old
2006-2025 = new

Back