got my new x2 3800 - keep it or fleabay?

vibe

[H]ard|Gawd
DHL showed up at 8:30am today with a little present:
my $275 x2 3800 courtesy of DELL with badly regulated coupons ;)

so help me decode before I open the box:
ADA3800DAA5BV
LDBHE 0542UPBW
Q384387J5003

update: got it going at 2600mhz @ 1.375v

all i know to read is 2005 - week 42 (which is oct 16-22) very fresh!
not sure if freshness is good or bad as they tighten up the production?

likely OC candidate or fleabay?

Torture is not even having a 939 mobo around and nothing
free after rebate on black friday - oh well.

ps. anyone score the $280 x2 3800 + mobo @ fry's today?

Well, just because it's new doesn't mean it won't OC well. I'd rip it out and see what it'll do when you get your board. Or you can Fleabay it and make some cash and wait for another good dell deal.

5 weeks can make alot of difference. If its different, its different. Just cuz its "Close" doesnt mean much...

Heh stop teasing me like that.
You're supposed to say, "oh five weeks means its even better and will do 2600 @ 1.5v"
:cool:
I noticed you have a x2 3800 also, whats your stepping/opn?

Eh I gotta find a cheap board.
Was thinking of a biostar 6100-m9 since even the non-tforce can OC the ram and cpu voltage.
But that's another $70 to my door, gotta do some more shopping.

Unless someone has an old 939 agp mobo they wanna give me :)

Just about all the x2 3800+'s do about 2.4-2.5 without too much effort.

That's almost $100 cheaper than when I got mine... Great deal if you keep it or sell it.

vibe said:
all i know to read is 2005 - week 42 (which is oct 16-22) very fresh!
U = thursday, so the 20th :D

might as well give it a shot. X2's are very hit or miss when it comes to oc'ing

vibe said:
wait, seriously or kidding? what do the rest of the letters mean after that?
P = Before pee-break
B = after breakfast
W = It was windy outside

vibe said:
wait, seriously or kidding? what do the rest of the letters mean after that?

First Digit is either R through to X for Monday to Sunday or A through to G for same. M means mixed assembly lot.
P merely means Penang
3rd digit is the sequential batch of cores used in assembly - so if they are using the first batch for that day its an A second batch is B and so forth. M means the cores used in the assembly came from different batches.
The existence of a W for the 4th letter means mixing of wafer lots in the core fabrication was prohibited. Its absence means the wafer lots could be mixed when making a batch of cores.
0450 etc is self explanatory and is the week of assembly.

hope that helps ;)

LOL! Which letter indicates if the factory worker had a hangover that day or not? :p

The existence of a W for the 4th letter means mixing of wafer lots in the core fabrication was prohibited. Its absence means the wafer lots could be mixed when making a batch of cores.

now that is facinating... hmm does mixing indicate they might put in better quality silicon and since mine indicates no mixing, unlikely to OC well?

If only I could buy a nf4 or 6100 locally... this area sucks for tech...

Here's the rest of the info from that OCdetective - facinating stuff:

First Digit is either R through to X for Monday to Sunday or A through to G for same. 3rd digit is the sequential batch of cores used in assembly - so if they are using the first batch for that day its an A second batch is B and so forth. M means the cores used in the assembly came from different batches.

Here's a little table I made for my tired brain:
R or A = Monday
S or B = Tuesday
T or C = Wednesday
U or D = Thursday
V or E = Friday
W or F = Saturday
X or G = Sunday

A - N is batch "number" M is mixed

so 0542UPBW is 2005 week 42, Thursday, Penang, 2nd batch, unmixed
neato!

that's a condensed version of what i posted, though yes, i did quote it from him originally. i'm actually trying to figure out how to decipher the stepping, but it's proving to be difficult :p

NKDietrich said:
I still think my explanation was more accurate.
definitly more amusing :D

I figured a few people eventually would be interested in this.
I finally got a tforce 6100-939 from ZZF today for $76 delivered.

Turns out this CPU overclocks like mad.
I can run it at 2700mhz if I put 1.425 volts into it.
I've settled on 2600mhz @ 1.375 for now.

Running dual channel on that Advanced Modules high density ram
two sticks of 1GB.

Now here's the thing, and I need help/suggestions since this is new to me.

Because I am using the onboard video and this ram doesn't seem to
like rates above 225mhz at any voltage or timing, I did the following:

1. dropped HT to 4x instead of 5x
2. dropped ram timing default to 166mhz 2.5-3-3-7
3. overclocked core to 260mhz (actually 261, it rounds funny)
4. boosted cpu voltage to 1.375v (actually tforce setting is 1.425, cpuz reads at 1.360-1.375)
5. boosted ram voltage to 2.9v - seems to need it for fast timing and overclock

super stable
I can only get 37 on 1M superpi because of onboard video
It drops to just under 36 when it's at 2.7mhz

Observations:
1. Biostar really needs to work on setting accuracy for voltages
2. tforce vs geforce is mostly in the packaging (wow do they overdo it)
3. tforce just has a few simple extras like onboard leds, power & reset button on board, four fan controller hookups vs two, and comes with the audio out cable (geforce has the socket but no cable)

If you have a tforce - get the new B02 bios! It rocks!

Now as far as heat - I have no idea how some people are reporting 25c temperatures at idle. I get around 32c. At load it jumps up to 43c. I may not have the heatsink properly settled. I also used AS5 for the first time and maybe it needs time to do it's thing.

nightanole said:
I hate you, coming from a 2.4ghz 1.51v setup.

On an X2? What is your stepping/date? It really needs that much juice?
Well you could keep it cooler with RMClock.
I noticed I can drop mine to 1.1 volts when the multiplier is dropped to 6x.
That gives me 25c and it still is very responsive.
(rmclock is a superior technique to amd cool'n'quiet)

RMclock doesn't seem to have default P-states for my cpu, or is that for all x2?
Had to insert some manually but it worked well after that.

An intial quickie benchmark (will prime95 it overnight when I am away)

wow thats a sick OC for an x2 3800+ if im not mistaken *drools* reminds me of the CABNE opterOWNs

I got my X2 3800 running at 2565, though it will do 2700 with a few more mV. My ram is running at 233 2.5, 3,2,5 2 Gb Gskill ZX. My super pi time is 33 sec. I am not sure why I can not run this ram higher. I have jacked timings, volts etc. It may be the memory controller. I was really pining for 260.

swetmore said:
I got my X2 3800 running at 2565, though it will do 2700 with a few more mV. My ram is running at 233 2.5, 3,2,5 2 Gb Gskill ZX. My super pi time is 33 sec. I am not sure why I can not run this ram higher. I have jacked timings, volts etc. It may be the memory controller. I was really pining for 260.

What mobo are you using? Did you remember to rollback the HT to 4x, because after 233 you would be pushing it over 1160mhz at 5x and it would surely fail.

Note that I am not even running my ram at 220mhz. I basically have to set it to the 166mhz clock and OC it from there. I cannot determine if the 225mhz limit is because I am using the onboard video or if the ram just falls apart after that. At 230mhz it will boot to the tforce logo and then I get little crawling dots all over.

I wish biostar had left the voltage control for the chipset in the bios.
I sure hope someone hacks it back in someday soon....

vibe said:
What mobo are you using? Did you remember to rollback the HT to 4x, because after 233 you would be pushing it over 1160mhz at 5x and it would surely fail.

Note that I am not even running my ram at 220mhz. I basically have to set it to the 166mhz clock and OC it from there. I cannot determine if the 225mhz limit is because I am using the onboard video or if the ram just falls apart after that. At 230mhz it will boot to the tforce logo and then I get little crawling dots all over.

I wish biostar had left the voltage control for the chipset in the bios.
I sure hope someone hacks it back in someday soon....

HT is @ 3, I have an Epox NF4 Ultra (non SLI). My FSB will do 300 on this chip and board.

What is the OPN for your chip? Maybe you don't have quite as good a batch as vibe does. I am guessing the secret to getting awesome overclocks is the W meaning no mixing of batches. Guess they want to keep the best separate.

Hell even with 1.51 ( I think its really 1.48v) my chip never sees 39c with my xp90 and fan at 60%.

Thank god for the new avisynth with the MT command :)

Well here she is after 12 hours of dual prime95
Had to bump the voltage to 1.392 to make it stable @ 260x10

Now I need to fix my heat issue. 48 is too high,
I must have either bad airflow or my heatsink is not seated correctly.
Even with AS5 still settling it should not be that toasty.

Can someone show me some decent dual prime temperatures for air?

I may just have to break down and spend the extra to get an XP90.
If I could just find some sandpaper over 1000 grade I could finish lapping my heatsink.

48* is a little warm, but nothing to be scared of at 2.6Ghz. Its actually pretty good. Assuming thats the load temp, not idle!

X2 3800+ Toledo @ 2.62 36c Idle 54c Load, running the big typhoon. I'm running the side off with no case fans too

cpuz4kf.jpg

48c isn't hot. Once you start hitting 60c I'd get scared ;) :p

vibe said:
I figured a few people eventually would be interested in this.
I finally got a tforce 6100-939 from ZZF today for $76 delivered.

Turns out this CPU overclocks like mad.
I can run it at 2700mhz if I put 1.425 volts into it.
I've settled on 2600mhz @ 1.375 for now.

Running dual channel on that Advanced Modules high density ram
two sticks of 1GB.

Now here's the thing, and I need help/suggestions since this is new to me.

Because I am using the onboard video and this ram doesn't seem to
like rates above 225mhz at any voltage or timing, I did the following:

1. dropped HT to 4x instead of 5x
2. dropped ram timing default to 166mhz 2.5-3-3-7
3. overclocked core to 260mhz (actually 261, it rounds funny)
4. boosted cpu voltage to 1.375v (actually tforce setting is 1.425, cpuz reads at 1.360-1.375)
5. boosted ram voltage to 2.9v - seems to need it for fast timing and overclock

super stable
I can only get 37 on 1M superpi because of onboard video
It drops to just under 36 when it's at 2.7mhz

Observations:
1. Biostar really needs to work on setting accuracy for voltages
2. tforce vs geforce is mostly in the packaging (wow do they overdo it)
3. tforce just has a few simple extras like onboard leds, power & reset button on board, four fan controller hookups vs two, and comes with the audio out cable (geforce has the socket but no cable)

If you have a tforce - get the new B02 bios! It rocks!

Now as far as heat - I have no idea how some people are reporting 25c temperatures at idle. I get around 32c. At load it jumps up to 43c. I may not have the heatsink properly settled. I also used AS5 for the first time and maybe it needs time to do it's thing.

Actoualy the Tforce and the Geforce are totaly diff. Look closely. On the Tforce, it has super high stress parts, DFI expencive caps, they use the same caps as the 200 buck DFI boards. The parts are reversioned and completly diff to the Geforce. Can take much higher heat and voltages. The chipsets have alittle more features in them. The GPU appears to be better in the Tforce then in the geforce, maybe factory OCed from biostar, there appears to be more power into it. I can get 8000 in a benchmark score wile somebody who has a Geforce board can only get to 3000 in a benchmark from 3Dmark01. His OC is simmilar to mine when his clock speed is 2.4ghz. Could be the 300fsb by 350fsb and 1300MT/s vs the 2800MT/s could be the reason I got the better score. Me with the better memory as well just 440mhz 40mhz faster. The chipset appears to beable to take a estimated 3000MT/s or 1500htt speed max stable. Ofcorse with the heatsink replaced with a good heavy copper videocard fan/heatsink on the chipset. Keeps it really cool at 40C. The caps and board can take 105C temps max. Chipset I beleave as well close to that. Very impressive board. Board is around 50C if sandra reads the mobo temps right.

vibe said:
Well here she is after 12 hours of dual prime95
Had to bump the voltage to 1.392 to make it stable @ 260x10

Now I need to fix my heat issue. 48 is too high,
I must have either bad airflow or my heatsink is not seated correctly.
Even with AS5 still settling it should not be that toasty.

Can someone show me some decent dual prime temperatures for air?

I may just have to break down and spend the extra to get an XP90.
If I could just find some sandpaper over 1000 grade I could finish lapping my heatsink.

Thats that program that your useing to read the temps. Is that 2nd temp the mobo sensor? Guess sandra does read that right then. The board runs at 50C all the time? That would be cold for its max temp it can handle. CPU tho 48 isn't hot. Those chips can take upto 65C. And your running P95 on it. I got mine as CnQ and it runs on 45 to 50C all the time. Fan over the heatsink doesn't make it sound like a server anymore. ;p
My sempy takes upto 69C. I would only worry if it reaches closer to 60C. I would let my sempy run at upto 65C full load if I could get it to 3.2ghz like a 2800 model can.

Serge84 said:
Thats that program that your useing to read the temps. Is that 2nd temp the mobo sensor? Guess sandra does read that right then. The board runs at 50C all the time? That would be cold for its max temp it can handle. CPU tho 48 isn't hot. Those chips can take upto 65C. And your running P95 on it. I got mine as CnQ and it runs on 45 to 50C all the time.

The program is speedfan and the two temps have always confused me.
The one that says 48 is the one that changes dramatically from idle to load.
The other one that says 44 barely changes over the load but it does change.
I know the 44 is labeled ACPI temp internally on speedfan.
But I still don't know if that is the internal diode or external.
I have guessed its external and the 48 is the diode.

One downside about the tforce is almost no temperature sensors but what you see there! Sheesh. I would have liked a chipset temp and gpu temp considering it's supposed to be their OC champ.

vibe said:
The program is speedfan and the two temps have always confused me.
The one that says 48 is the one that changes dramatically from idle to load.
The other one that says 44 barely changes over the load but it does change.
I know the 44 is labeled ACPI temp internally on speedfan.
But I still don't know if that is the internal diode or external.
I have guessed its external and the 48 is the diode.

One downside about the tforce is almost no temperature sensors but what you see there! Sheesh. I would have liked a chipset temp and gpu temp considering it's supposed to be their OC champ.

I useoualy go by the feel of the heatsink if its warm or hot aswell. My heavy videocard fan/heatsink is on there, always stays warm, doing what its sipos to do. My temps are lower. I'm going to buy some temp sensors and put them on afew places on the board. I'm pritty sure why they didn't put many temp sensors. But I'm guessing its just CPU and mobo temp sencors. It can really take a beating, if you looked up the stress levels of those caps. Thay can take 105C. I'm pritty sure they wern't conserned on using much temp sensors for that reason.

Hey I just noticed something kinda weird about this CPU.

RMClock can adjust the FID (multiplier) but NOT the VID (voltage!)

I thought it was changing the voltage but now that I observe it with cpuz directly it's not!

Didn't some opterons have this issue/design?
I wonder if it's just old code in RMCLOCK or the c'n'q is messed up somehow or the CPU just doesn't have VID by some weird design.

Unfortunately AMD doesn't make a powernow driver for win2k or I'd try that to compare. Kinda mean of them to limit it to XP or newer.

By the way, for anyone else with dual core, make sure you edit your BOOT.INI and add /USEPMTIMER which makes programs like firefox behave much better on things that need fine timing (like animated gifs, etc) I also added /3GB and /PAE and I think windows is using my 2 gigs of ram a little wiser.

Theres something to note with C&Q, it cannot change your CPU voltage if you manually set a higher voltage. If you go into your BIOS and set 1.45v then C&Q uses 1.45v for all its P-States. This is why K8 boards sometimes have 2 CPU core voltage settings, a normal core voltage setting, then a special one that uses % numbers. If you change the normal one then C&Q VID settings dont work, but they do if you use the special ones. For example, on my DFI i use the default V core and have the special V core set to 113%, that gets me 1.5v, but means C&Q can adjust the voltage also. My 4400+ runs at 47C full load (2607 @ 1.50v) and idles at 22C (1185 @ 1.21v). Gotta love C&Q :D.

DarkBahamut said:
Theres something to note with C&Q, it cannot change your CPU voltage if you manually set a higher voltage.

I manually set my geforce board higher and was able to use c&q on a 754pin 3700. This board is virtually identical so it should too.

Well no biggie as I can boot at this speed for a short minute at default voltage and then use rmclock to adjust the voltage from there - that is if this cpu will let that happen. Will experiment later.

What's the lowest voltage/multiplier you can get away with on your X2 ?

Third, Mine will only hit 2.5 @ 1.58 vCore and 1.4 @ 1.5, (way too hot, even for my xp120)

Back