New Ek x1900 Water Block...

plywood99

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey all,
Just got my Ek x1900 water block in the mail. Here are a few pics. :D

Block came in excellent shape. Base does have some very minor milling marks. But a quick 30 second lap job solved that problem. Milling marks were very slight, and might not have affected temps. I did not do a before and after test.

As you can see temps for gpu are 44c, which is 2c cooler than with my Maze4. Ambient temp is 21.5c. Minor quibble with the mosfet cooler. Didn't come with mounting screws, so I used a couple from the stock heatsink unit. Also while temps for mosfets are better, not as good as I thought they would be. But again a minor quibble.

For some reason a steel shim was placed between where the mosfet cooler and the block attach. When doing test mountings I found the shim to be unnecesary and so didn't use it.

All in all, this block rocks. Build and finish are top notch. Packaging was fine, with the block placed in bubble wrap and securely placed inside a well taped box. Comes with easy to understand and follow directions, for those who need them.;)

On a scale of 1 to 10 the Ek x1900 gets a 9.5, excellent but not perfect.

I highly reccommend the Ek x1900 block...

SHINY :eek:

How much did the block cost you once you factor in shipping from slovenia? We need to get a distributor over here in the states because their prices for the parts are pretty good, its the shipping that scares me. Also a drop in temps over the maze 4 is pretty nice as well...did everything else remain the same?

Price including shipping was just under $100.00, which is still a bargain compaired to DD and what some others are charging for full cover blocks.

I haven't had time to do any extreme testing, or to see if my max clocks have changed. I'll do more testing tommorrow...

Eddy makes fine blocks, though polycarbonate is still dead to me.

Those barbs seem interesting to me. I've been looking to replace the barbs on the G5 with something a little more reasonable, and these look quite appropriate.

Very swish - nice to see someone using the same case as me! Haven't got round to mounting my Maze4 yet (man, I'm lazy), but I'm gonna replace my res with a T-line at the same time (need to make room for a 120mm fan pushing air over the vga card) - if temps are 2c higher than yours then it looks like a good idea.

How is that little antec fan mounted? I removed the 3x80mm fan bracket (bad placement for it IMO) so there is hardly any airflow over MB components (probably gets a little from the 2 120mm fans mounted in the front behind my rad) - result is that PWMIC temps are a little too high for my liking.

yea i ask and am igterested cuz im interested in GOOD full coverage blocks only cuz of all the ambient heat that comes off the vid cards even when the core is WC'ed. and for $100 and that brand new block? im interested to see what EK can do for me!

$100!? That's an excellent price. If only I had a TDX instead of an RDX I might buy one.

Edit: No springs or backing plate? :eek:

Your vantec fancard isnt gettign anough air being that close to the sound card, all your doing is making it noisier and choking it.

wow, now thats nice lookin block and cheaper than the danger den full cover blocks. Too bad you cant get them here...yet...

What is your max overclock with this? Did the voltage cooling heatsink help?

Altron3k said:
wow, now thats nice lookin block and cheaper than the danger den full cover blocks. Too bad you cant get them here...yet...

He ships to the states. Where do you think that block came from?

Those look great, thanks for the pics. I am going to have to look into getting one.

Dillusion said:
Your vantec fancard isnt gettign anough air being that close to the sound card, all your doing is making it noisier and choking it.

It's a leftover from my maze4 setup. It's coming out of my system since it is not needed to cool the ram chips anymore...

Springs and backing plate are not needed, according to Eddy the blocks designer. Also due to how the block mounts, nine screws, the card will not warp.

Shipping was only $15.00, bringing total to just under $100.00. I live in Ohio, USA and it took exactly two weeks for block to show at my door. Block shipped from Slovenia.

seems like an aweful large amount of weight to mount with no backplate...

Budwise said:
seems like an aweful large amount of weight to mount with no backplate...
The backplate doesn't have anything to do with the weight of the block. It's there to keep the card from bending under the mounting pressure.

Eastcoasthandle said:
Hello,

Do you have any more ambient and load temps to post?

Hey ECH, I have not done much temp monitoring since initially installing the block. Went back to using CCC instead of AtiTool until a more mature version comes out. AtiTool will disable the Chuck patch in Oblivion. But I am totally impressed with Eddy's x1900 block. The mosfet cooler isn't much better than the stock one though, but that is a minor quibble. It is a awesome block...

theseeker said:
I still cannot understand why you people don't try the Alphacool block?
Maybe some of US are waiting for a US based reseller we want to buy from? hint hint

@Plywood - Edddy's blocks are nice aren't they? Congratulations! Just got my 7900 blocks from EK. Good to see others using these blocks as well. Waiting on more parts before I can test it.

@Theseeker - I was seriously going to buy the Alphacool blocks some time ago. I didn't b/c of the design. The block is completely flat and requires the thermal pads to make it fit properly. In addition to that they do not have a "simple" solution for cooling the vregs. Lastly, I just don't care for Alphacool's mounting hardware.

Given the choice you would have to admit that Eddy's blocks are just sexy! Who would pass on the opportunity to have both form and function in one block? Not me. :)

ShoNuff said:
@Plywood - Edddy's blocks are nice aren't they? Congratulations! Just got my 7900 blocks from EK. Good to see others using these blocks as well. Waiting on more parts before I can test it.

@Theseeker - I was seriously going to buy the Alphacool blocks some time ago. I didn't b/c of the design. The block is completely flat and requires the thermal pads to make it fit properly. In addition to that they do not have a "simple" solution for cooling the vregs. Lastly, I just don't care for Alphacool's mounting hardware.

Given the choice you would have to admit that Eddy's blocks are just sexy! Who would pass on the opportunity to have both form and function in one block? Not me. :)

QFT. Eddy has done a fine job with these blocks. Workmanship was nere flawless. And his prices are very attractive.

plywood99 said:
Hey ECH, I have not done much temp monitoring since initially installing the block. Went back to using CCC instead of AtiTool until a more mature version comes out. AtiTool will disable the Chuck patch in Oblivion. But I am totally impressed with Eddy's x1900 block. The mosfet cooler isn't much better than the stock one though, but that is a minor quibble. It is a awesome block...

You need a 80mm or 92 mm fan on those mosfets!

Eastcoasthandle said:
You need a 80mm or 92 mm fan on those mosfets!

Lol, yeah they get a little warm, but still not as hot as on my mobo, cpu mosfets will break 100c with ease...

74degress on the voltregulator is way to much... Some day it can be unstable.. I will mount my EK block tomorrow.. Hopefully better voltreg temp or I will set a 120mm over it

YOU have to add a fan to your vregs. YOU cannot passively cool vregs and mosfets on a video card...

Eastcoasthandle said:
YOU have to add a fan to your vregs. YOU cannot passively cool vregs and mosfets on a video card...

vregs are usually safe at operating up to around 120C, you dont NEED to actively cool them. Although lower temperatures can provide a more stable voltage (and hence better overclocking).

Back