Samsung 244t and input lag

IsaacS

Weaksauce
I have been looking at reviews of this monitor and all the professional reviews say that this is the best monitor on the market. I have also read some users reviews on this forum and some say there is an input lag problem when playing fast paced games.

Can people who have this monitor give their opinion on it please. I will be using it for work, playing dvd's and a bit of gaming.

dont buy it for gaming, not sure how the lag/delay affects DVD's though.

kleox64 said:

So which 23-24" widescreen LCD is for gaming? The dell 2405/2407? The Viewsonic vp2330wb? The Philips Brilliance 230WP7NS? The LG-Philips LM230W02? The BenQ FP231W? Something else? They all suck and I should wait? hehe.

kleox64 said:

Well qualify your answer please.

There is a new review at trusted reviews which says this is the hottest lcd on the market:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=2662

I have also corresponded with the reviewer who said he played games, watched dvd's etc with no lag, smearing etc and the picture quality is fantastic. He also states this is 1080p compliant and even watched a 1080p video on it!!

I had one in the other day and it's very, very similar to the Dell 2405. I didn't have a 2405 handy for direct comparison, but the overall image quality is pretty much the same. The 244T uses the newer Samsung panel, but it's not a huge upgrade. Still, it's a great panel for desktop work and movies. I ran some 1080 content and it looked superb. It was also superb for games IMHO, good response times, very little blurring of textures etc. As for lag, I am assuming you mean a lag between, for instance, mouse inputs and the image responding. I didn't notice any of this, but I did not specifically look out for it, so I can't give a definitive judgement.

Having said all that, I'd wait for the 2407. It has a nicer chassis than the Samsung, and assuming it has HDCP, it's more future proof, too.

Couple of things...

The 244t does support HDCP.

There is a 245t coming out with a new chassis.

There is also a 244ex coming out (expensive as hell) with LED backlighting.

anything PVA has significant lag, the problem is Iam so used to CRT qualities that even the 244T is basicaly less than adequate. IMO save your money and get an FD Trinitron based CRT then put funds towards an SED based monitor (not long to go, we are talking months now).

SED in months?

That would be great, but where did you read that?

Last I heard, SED was delayed until 2007.

I am more interested in LED backlighting and HDR displays personally... *shrug*

All this new tech will be WAY too expensive for the first few years after release anyways, so you might as well buy the best display you can afford now and then in a few years you will be looking to upgrade (most likely) anyways.

mike_j_johnson said:
All this new tech will be WAY too expensive for the first few years after release anyways, so you might as well buy the best display you can afford now and then in a few years you will be looking to upgrade (most likely) anyways.

I agree, however, I am having an extremely difficult time finding out which is the "best" display. Right now, it seems I can only find the least bad of them all. Picture quality is nice, but I can'd deal with input lag or ghosting even when I usually only play WoW. I'm willing to put up $1000-$2000 for a solid 23-24" widescreen, but I'm not willing to donate the money to help the company reaching a real solution :)

Last I heard, SED was delayed until 2007.
Not only delayed, but Canon canceled the idea of using SED for computer monitors. So there won't be SED for our PC for quite a few years.

Regards

I've got one and have never noticed any input lag. I've played Painkiller and Q4 on it quite extensively too and so probably would have noticed.

Then again my old man rusty reactions may have dulled my sensitivity to it.

paviko said:
Not only delayed, but Canon canceled the idea of using SED for computer monitors. So there won't be SED for our PC for quite a few years.

Regards

look like Iam sticking with CRT's then, an FW900 is on the order...

Iratus said:
I've got one and have never noticed any input lag. I've played Painkiller and Q4 on it quite extensively too and so probably would have noticed.

Then again my old man rusty reactions may have dulled my sensitivity to it.

Hi Thank you for your comment. What do you think of the picture quality of the monitor playing games and dvd's etc?

I've tried several monitors. The lag on the Samsung 244T is horrendous. It's even worse than the Dell 2405FPW. It must be around 50-65 ms. I don't understand how so many people don't notice this. It's a significant amount of lag. It bothered me very much. This person had the same experience: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1026393

If you want a large widescreen LCD monitor with no lag, get the Apple Cinema Display. It has almost no lag compared to a CRT running at 60 Hz. I say "almost" because response time is still a factor, but the difference is negligible. Unfortunately, it has a very limited set of features and a very minimal DSP which only supports DVI-D and a few resolutions, so the BIOS isn't visible with many video cards.

I also tried the HP L2335. It's about the same as the Apple, but for some reason, it dithers colors while the Apple does not. This is especially visible in gradients. It looks like some sort of patterned dithering. I also went through three units with different manufacturing dates, and all three had very bad backlight bleeding, much worse than the Apple. On one unit, the panel wasn't even mounted properly. The image was slanted and off-center. I ended up returning them.

A 23-24" S-IPS panel from Apple with 1600:1 contrast ratio, 6-8ms response would be cool :)

What about input lag over the analog inputs??

The Apple displays don't have those inputs do they? I want to play XBox 360 and PS3 on this thing.

There is no question that the 244t has input lag. Just take a look at the photo in the following post comparing a Dell 2405 and a Samsung 243T: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1027632791.

Why is the comparison between these two relevant to the 244T? The Dell 2405 shares the same S-PVA panel that's why.

I'd take a look at the S-IPS based Apple Cinema Display or the HP L2335. Even better is the Philips Brilliance 230WP7NS which is based on a newer version of the S-IPS panel. I'd go with the Philips today, and in fact I am in a few weeks time :)

so the lag is a side effect of the overdrive? its worse on the samsung because its using more overdrive than the dell. The dell is using a PVA panel while the samsung an S-PVA (lower response time).

Back