New Seagate 750GB and 960 GB SATA drives

StorageJoe

Limp Gawd
I should have my eval drives in the next week or so for the Seagate 750GB sata. My Seagate rep didn't have many details on this yet other than that I should get my eval drives before the end of the month and they would be shipping through distribution starting in late June. He also hinted at a 960GB drive being the next capacity point and that it is already in the works. I'll have some more details and benchmarks when my eval drives hit my dock.

thisi s the main reason i buy drives as i need them. a 300-400 a month does me pretty good. as i dont want to splurge ona huge lot of drives. which is what i want lol. cause I'd rather splurge on a tb or 2 drive hehe.

imagine the psu you will need for multiples of these.

Since the rage machines are so bloody voer priced im sure he will be the first to push a 20TB system. lol

Hmm, probably a 5-platter and a 4-platter at 187GB/platter. Seagate pushes the density again! It'll be interesting to see if they've dug themselves out of the seek time grave they've got going there.

Man...and I thought getting to the 500GB plateau was insane...it goes to show that technology is never stagnant. I'm curious what kind of performance these new drives will get :confused:

Wonder if these new drives are using that new perpendicular data stuff...

acascianelli said:

Definately. It sounds like the kind of increase that you get going perpendicular. The 1in drives went from 8gigs to 12gigs. And the 2.5in drives went from about 100 or 120 gigs, to 160.

acascianelli said:
That's what I'm thinking. I don't think they'd be able to hit the required densities without it.

This is VERY odd, A long while ago I reported that MDG Canada has been selling machines with free "750gb hard drive" upgrades.. this is actually true? How could they have them already?

GodSpeed said:
This is VERY odd, A long while ago I reported that MDG Canada has been selling machines with free "750gb hard drive" upgrades.. this is actually true? How could they have them already?
They're probably doing RAID 0 with the elusive 375GB HDD.

Dutt1113 said:
anyone know how much harddrives like this would/will cost?
from 250 GB to 500 the equation is

y = 1.01 x - 145.32

where y = HDD price and x = GiB

extrapolating to an x of 750 (698.49 GiB) gives a y of $560.00

x of 960 (894.07 GiB) gives a y of $750.00

it's hard to say how much they will cost

the relationships between GiB and price per GiB is more logarithmic and exponential than linear

if i had a ti calc that would do logarithmic and exponential regression i could get better numbers for ya :)

My batteries are dead, but that doesn't stop me (you'll also need the ROM from TI). For the sake of argument I'll use Seagate 7200.9s for the analysis. The following values are taken from Newegg, just for the sake of argument.
[[51,75,135,270]
[80,120,300,500]]->d
Using a cubic approximation:
y1(750)=896
y1(960)=2135
Using a quadratic approximation:
y1(750)=511
y1(960)=781

Take those values with a grain of salt, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the 960GB version up near $750.

professor said:
Now are these Raptor drives? LOL

Wha? I don't get it...

They probably will set new records for read speed due to their unparalleled platter density.

But no, they will not be 10k rpm drives. Although you can look for this tech to be used to produce 300+gb 10k and 15k rpm drives.

Just to add some geek lingo:

You guys forget how powerful excel is. It WILL do a Power or Exponential fit. It will indeed do it faster than ANY TI / HP to date. :)

Realistically though, ya they'll be expensive . . . until the 1.5tb drives come out. That's just how it goes.

Those of us that have a reasonable budget don't care much about such things because we don't pay 2x the price /gb for the largest drive available atm.

Those that do buy those . . . well it doesn't make much difference what they cost . . . look around and you can find several people with several, several drive raptorx arrays. :)

<^ not impressed.. because i know in just a few years a 500GB thumb drive the size of an ant will be old school ;)
btw an old 20mb RLL drive makes a great doorstop

flynlr said:
<^ not impressed.. because i know in just a few years a 500GB thumb drive the size of an ant will be old school ;)
btw an old 20mb RLL drive makes a great doorstop

Will you be impressed then??? haha

unhappy_mage said:
Take those values with a grain of salt, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the 960GB version up near $750.

I'd be suprised to see the 960GB drive below $750.

Oh wow, this is coming way way faster than expected. One thing a persons should note that 500's are almost 200 bucks each now, so you should be able to get 3 500's for the price of one 750 (assuming they start at the $550ish mark as thier flagship drives always does).

Slartibartfast said:
Meh, just buy a PCP+C 1kw PSU and then you can load up on HD's to your heart's content :D

Why would you need a 1kw PSU to load up on disk drives? I have run 11 drives of a 510w turbo cool... Anyway, I am all for larger data densities maybe all the 500gb and 400gb drives will drop down to the .25-.33/GB range.

J-Mag said:
Why would you need a 1kw PSU to load up on disk drives? I have run 11 drives of a 510w turbo cool... Anyway, I am all for larger data densities maybe all the 500gb and 400gb drives will drop down to the .25-.33/GB range.

The important question is not "why?" it's "why not?" ;)

Makes me wish I'd gone with something a little larger for my RAID array then 400GB. Well at least the price one those will just continue to drop. And a max of 2+ TB should still last me a while.

And to think 13 years ago my first computer had a 160mb harddrive.

the only reason i could see storage being an issue is for editors working with uncompressed HD. even HDV is roughly the same size as their DV equivalent. but true uncompressed HD 1080p is the real kicker here. it's quite kewl to think that you can edit movies in commercial/production sized quantities in the comforts of your own home.

the other application i can see happen is for HTPC's whose users want to keep their media on an ever expanding dynamically changing RAID5 storage system. let's say you buy a 16port RAID controller, fill it with 3 500GB drives now and dynamically expand to more as you amass SD, HD audio and video.

Size isn't the issue so much as speed. Live editing of an HD stream requires about 200 MB/s throughput. You need several spindles plus a high end raid controller to push that kind of speed.

They showed up on my latest Seagate pricer. Looks like disty is set at $450 for the time being for these suckers, although I have a feeling they will drop before they actually ship in June (the 500 GBs did).

Back