Oblivion: The bug that makes me wanna give up

djebrada

n00b
im sure most of you save in different slots but im a quicksave addict. I randomly get the "screen goes black (but can still see the HUDS)" bug which i always fix by saving, change the resoultion (or any display setting that requires the game to restart to make changes), exiting, then reloading the save game. this works most of the time UNTIL!!! the game gives me the oblivion.dat (or was it .exe) error every time i load my save file(in dungeon). I dont overclock, or apply any mods. i did apply a few tweaks but they were all safe and tested. my game file was already at level 14. i did have some autosave games but it was overwritten when i used the wait command with my previous save game which was at level 4(outside kvatch). any possible way i can recover that file?

Just start a new game or load an earlier saved game , anything will do , as long as it loads the engine it should work. After the fore mentioned save is loaded try loading up the save game that was giving you issues. I had the same problem and this worked for me.

One more thing , if your game does load and you are stuck , like you can see your fists and you can look around , but you cannot move just use the following command...

player.coc Nornal

Or whatever map name works for you , this will warp you to another level making you "unstuck"

I know how you feel , having over 100 HRS logged into this game and then having this happen to me made me want to give up as well. I hope this was of some help to you. Good Luck!

If you haven't 'quicksaved' twice, you can find a backup of your previous quicksave in your 'Oblivion' saved games folder - every time you do a save over another save, it backs up the previous file (but only keeps one backup copy of each, so the next time you save, the backup is over-written).

I had that bug, but it only came up when I had HDR enabled.

Do you know anyone else who has it? It goes away when I restart Oblivion and comes back randomly. I don't get it without HDR.

I had this "screen goes black" bug with my EVGA 7800GT and HDR on. I usually got the black screen when zooming in on an NPC's face. I have RivaTuner set up to automatically adjust 7800GT's fan as the temp rises and falls, and I could hear the fan spinning faster as the game started to zoom in on a character's face. So I had been playing with HDR off until I decided to search Google to see if others have figured out a fix. It turns out that underclocking the card makes the problem go away. The card is overclocked by EVGA, so I am guessing that Oblivion with HDR is making the card overheat or pushing something too hard. Weird that Bethesda didn't discover this with testing.

Edit: I don't have this problem (or an overheating problem) with any other game.

Never used quicksavw myself. But after all the crashes i've had during the game, i got used to saving often. I'd be just running around a dungeon or wherever and suddenly get a bad feeling. Escape, Save Game, Resume. Came in handy.

Upto 1488 saves now :D after 143 hours play. On average once every 6 minutes. Like clockwork.

Never had the bug you mention, but have had the display switch from 16:9 to 4:3 while playing a few times. Going from 1920x1200 to something like 1920 x 1600. Annoying

Yeahhhh..... 7 hours into the game and all of my save games go curropt. Im now starting a new game....as a thief this time :cool:

I got about 20 hours into the game and now the game will randomly lockup with a black screen or reboot when loading houses or areas. I've given up on the game and I think all future bethesda games. (Anyone remember morrowind when it first came to xbox? The dirty disc errors and freezing?) apparenlty the xbox 360 also has this issue when loading doors (and it's not a pc hardware issue!)

Bethesda really needs to get someone to check their games over before release, I guess tehy learned with morrowind that they can hard sell unfinished games and still make high revenue. (hype alone drives the game sales)

About HDR - i've noticed that the game is horribly unstable when I use HDR - lots of crashes-to-desktop when changing areas.

The last time I said, "My Oblivion is very stable" I had a crash streak for the next hour, which corrupted my saves (thank god I made multiple back ups). So... I'm keeping my mouth shut. :)

yeah...i had that blank screen bug with HDR enabled...turned it off...since my stupid card doesn't support AA+HDR...and no blank black screen.

Is this blank screen as in freezing black screen or just the game going black and otherwise a responsive OS? I will try disabling HDR. My guess is its a nvidia driver bug because A) the error report shows the same exact error fault number each time and B) nvidias drivers have been really buggy lately in certain games.

Of all the people I know who play the game regularly (not just 1 hour a week and have logged 50+ hours) none of them can say that the game is stable over 3-4 hours straight. I have given up on the game until a patch comes out.

Knock wood, the game hasn't crashed on me once....yet using HDR and running 1900x1200. All I get is a "send error report" when I close the game after playing for an hour or more. I have 25-30 hours in the game maybe.
No mods, not overclocked. Only thing I've tweaked is the ini file for dual core listed in the Oblivion tweak guide.

4600+ X2, 2 gig Corsair memory, Asus A8N-E, Coolermaster Centurion 5, Enermax 485w Noisetaker, Seagate Barracuda 160 sata , Samsung dvd rw, Creative X-FI Xtreme , Logitech THX Z-5300e 5.1, EVGA 7900GT@550mhz, Dell 2405 fpw

Back