Suggestion for a lot of the 7900gt problemed users

waltherone

Gawd
Wow, this ended up LONG, but if you don't like to read about computer parts, I don't know why you're on this forum :p

I wasn't going to post this for fear of people thinking I was a moron, so take it with a grain of salt, but it's becoming more consistent for me now.

I've got an eVGA 7900gt that was for the most part worked flawlessly for me from the start. I did the 1.4v mod(via the conductive ink pen) a few days after getting it, and was running it for a while at 640/865, cooled via an NV Silencer (and inside a P180 with a big sanyo-denki fan on the front, and all other fans on high...my case sounds like a jet engine when I turn all the fans up for gaming). I put a Vantec ramsink on the rectangular IC (in the following picture jacked from XS forums, I put the sink on the IC that's on the right of the two that are circled).

http://home.earthlink.net/~waltherone/images/HotICs.jpg

I didn't sink both of them because, in case no one noticed, they aren't the same height, so you can't use a single sink to effectively cover both of them. The two smaller ones are about 1 or 1.5mm shorter than the rectangular. So I left that one unsinked, and sinked the rectangular. It ran for a good while at those speeds playing a lot of oblivion and benchmarking since it was a new machine. As it was a new machine, maybe a month later I decided to sleeve all my wires to neaten the thing up a bit on the inside. Once I reconnected everything, the wire on this DFI board that connects the Molex and Floppy connectors just below the CPU was a bit stiffer due to the sleeving, and eventually (with help from heat while gaming, etc softening the thermal tape) pushed the sink off the IC and left it laying diagonally against the IC and any solder points next to that IC. This happened WHILE gaming I can only assume, as I'd been playing oblivion for an hour or so when suddenly I got a symptom many of you are probably familiar with, the game just froze, computer wouldn't respond. Hit Ctrl-Alt-Del, even that wouldn't respond. Then about 20 seconds later, everything caught up, the game minimized and the system tray was open, mouse would move, all was well. I click the Oblivion button on the taskbar to get back into game, as soon as it opens, all freezes again. So I thought, ok, wtf. I exit the game, reboot, go back and start testing, to find that the computer locks up any time I try doing ANYTHING 3D. 2D stuff is fine, but any time the video card has to process any 3d stuff, all goes to hell. I opened the computer, found the sideways ramsink, removed it (leaving the IC unsinked) and all was well again, so I thought yay, false alarm, and nothing BAD was shorted when it fell off and landed on all those solder points.

Well, not long after, it started happening again. Like before, if i did auto detect in coolbits, it would automatically detect the default speeds for the card. If I try anything higher, it would work until the card heated up a bit under load, and then the same symptoms. If the card was already hot via my tinkering with testing and such, and I tried to increase speeds over stock, the coolbits test would lock up the computer for a bit, or cause the screen to flash until it went back to normal and told me the test failed at those settings. So I got curious, and pulled the card, checked my volt mod just for giggles, and put another sink with fresh thermal tape back on that same IC, made sure that sleeved wire was tucked/tied away, and put the card back in. And everything functioned well again, until today when I got curious again.

I pulled the card this afternoon before work, and put two ramsinks next to each other, with one sitting on the two smaller square IC's (making sure not to touch the small resistor to the left of them, C502 in the picture) and the second ramsink on the rectangular IC like before, just moved over a bit kind of hanging off the right side (right side if you're looking at the above picture), so the two sinks were right up against each other. I put the card back in, ran 3dmark06 first, it was artifacting like CRAZY just on the first scene alone. Closed that, opened ATI Tool, the artifact and the regular, rotating 3d test block were artifacting BADLY as well. I'm not talking little dots, I'm talking big streaks of color all over the image. So I thought ok, what the hell, I can already guess the problem. Removed the card again, took off the rectangular IC's ramsink first, and noticed that the IC I had sitting on the two smaller square IC's (the two to the left in the above picture) was also resting against the pins coming out of the rectangular IC on the left (in the above picture) side. Removed that sink all together, put one back on just the rectangular IC like I had before, plugged the card back in, and now here I am, just ran a full pass of 3dmark06 at 640/850 speeds, and ran ATI tool for a lil while, no artifacts for until about a minute and a half in, no artifacting in Oblivion at all.

Now the conclusion to all this rambling: That little cluster of IC's is VERY close together, and there are a couple of other components (resistor, etc) nearby just outside the cluster. You guys make sure your shit isn't shorted :p I've gotten the same symptoms as a LOT of people I've read about on eVGA's forums, and on this forum. These people are RMAing their cards, getting replacements, and they're still getting the same symptoms. NOTE, without any ramsinks at all, I get those symptoms as well as soon as the card heats up, so it obviously can happen to stock cards. But for all the folks modding their cards, I've also gotten those same symptoms twice now, under two different occurrances, when the ramsink shorted some pins on a nearby part. Those IC's are very tiny, and very close together, and ramsinks are typically a standard size more or less. If you used any thermal paste to apply your ramsinks, you could very well have shorted some pins on one of those IC's. They are VERY tiny, and the pins are close enough together to barely even get a needle point in between them. It's not exactly hard to short them to each other. Also note, the card functions fine much of the time, just artifacts like MAD, and, depending on what is shorted to what, might or might NOT have the freezing/flashing screen symptom.

Also, I read either on here or on XS forums that on the GTX cards, these IC's are on the front/top of the card(the side with the GPU). So they're getting a little breeze from that huge fan on the GTX, which partly explains why these problems are mostly in the GT cards. A few GTX owners have chimed in with issues, but not even 1/4 of the number of GT card owners that have problems.

Tomorrow starts the new project, filing down half of the underside of one of my ramsinks so I can mount a single sink covering all three IC's without shorting them to each other or anything else (one of these Vantec sinks covers them perfectly, but as stated before, they're not the same height).

Just some food for thought, take it with a grain of salt or take it as gospel, I know there will be a little of both on this site :p But it might be worth pulling your card and looking CLOSELY at.

Also, read post #9 in this thread:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99895

It's obvious that the problem is in that little corner of the board, even as shown in that thermal image. I think people just need to get adequate cooling on those spots.

And maybe some people didn't even notice the height difference of those IC's and just threw a sink on there, which isn't really covering any of them since it's at a slant. :p

Would the Zalman cnps7700-cu help in this situation? I'm thinking about getting a heatsink on that problem spot even before I turn it on for the first time (my new system is in the mail). How should I apply the heatsink to the IC chips? What compound is commonly used for heatsinks of this type?

I already put a temperature sensor to the 2 ICs and this is what i got

backright.jpg

rectangle.jpg

they do get hot.

digitalx0 said:
Would the Zalman cnps7700-cu help in this situation? I'm thinking about getting a heatsink on that problem spot even before I turn it on for the first time (my new system is in the mail). How should I apply the heatsink to the IC chips? What compound is commonly used for heatsinks of this type?

They're on the backside (top, opposite side from the memory and CPU/stock cooler) so the zalman won't cool them via fan breeze.

My little sinks are held on by thermal tape. The sinks I had were pretty big (but 100% copper through and through, and dissipate heat like CRAZY) so I cut one in half with a dremel, covers all three of those IC's nicely, and there's a 60mm fan blowing across them, so I dont think I'll ever have any problems with it now :)

Most people are sufficing with just the sinks, and I've got great air flow in the case, but I'm also obsessive about fans and everything being really cool, for the sake of my conscience :)

ramsinkangle.jpg

ramsinkside.JPG

DangerIsGo said:
I already put a temperature sensor to the 2 ICs and this is what i got

backright.jpg

rectangle.jpg

they do get hot.

Yeah, damn hot. Particularly that little square one in your first pic, that one is uncomfortable to even touch with your finger if you've had the card under load. I cringe at the thought of all the 7900 users out there that just flat out don't know about this (people who buy it retail without whoring up forums like we do) :(

waltherone said:
They're on the backside (top, opposite side from the memory and CPU/stock cooler) so the zalman won't cool them via fan breeze.

My little sinks are held on by thermal tape. The sinks I had were pretty big (but 100% copper through and through, and dissipate heat like CRAZY) so I cut one in half with a dremel, covers all three of those IC's nicely, and there's a 60mm fan blowing across them, so I dont think I'll ever have any problems with it now :)

Most people are sufficing with just the sinks, and I've got great air flow in the case, but I'm also obsessive about fans and everything being really cool, for the sake of my conscience :)

Did you get those heatsinks from frozencpu? ThermalTake Aluminum BGA heatsinks? If so, I need to order some thermal tape as I thought those heatsinks came with pre-applied pads.

I bought some "ram" heat sinks that are made out of pure copper.
Then I cut them to size using my dremmel.

So far they seem to be doing quite well, although it was a bit tight to get the 2 uneven ones covered correctly.

Plus, I have a 120MM fan on the side of my case that blows in that area to help with the cooling, hope this keeps the card going but we will see.

D.

digitalx0 said:
Did you get those heatsinks from frozencpu? ThermalTake Aluminum BGA heatsinks? If so, I need to order some thermal tape as I thought those heatsinks came with pre-applied pads.

Probly same as the guy below me, these are Vantec Iceberq ramsinks, 100% copper, kinda heavy, and large. I cut one in half long-ways with my dremel, which is why I've got two almost perfectly fitting slender sinks now in the pics above :)

waltherone said:

You said the Zalman won't cool those IC's, but it will. Those IC's are on the backside of the card.. which in any ATX case is right next to the CPU cooler.. Maybe I'm confused by the pictures, but to me it looks like the air will nail those IC's

digitalx0 said:
You said the Zalman won't cool those IC's, but it will. Those IC's are on the backside of the card.. which in any ATX case is right next to the CPU cooler.. Maybe I'm confused by the pictures, but to me it looks like the air will nail those IC's

Ahh, thought you meant the Zalman video card cooler, which would of course be mounted on the bottom side of the card :)

At any rate, the whole purpose of heatsinks of course is to create more surface area for air to move across and suck heat out of. Air blowing across the bare IC's doesn't seem to be real adequate, as I had a lot of air moving over mine back when I had no sinks on them (via that big ass Sanyo-Denki 120x38mm fan on the front blowing like 150cfm) and they were still overheating. If I were you, I definitely wouldn't rely on the air blowing out from my cpu cooler (I assume youre talking about the zalman 7000 or 7700, the big "flower" heatsink?) to cool them, since the wind tunnel inside my case wasn't even enough :p

boomheadshot45 said:
wait you have you card watercooled and it still got into the 80's?

Any video card cooler/water block is only going to cool the GPU, and maybe the memory. These things are on the other side of the card, just small little black circuits that regulate memory voltage, and whatever the other one does. So anyone's cooling methods aren't going to affect these two IC's, they need something SPECIFICALLY to cool them. :)

I found two mini fans (about 1.5" in height) and am going to use them to cool the mosfets specifically on each card...one per card. Im gonna attach them somehow to the ramsinks when they get here this week. pics of course! :D

1.5", damn that is tiny, whats that like 1.2CFM? :p

That 60mm I mounted seems to do a good job on the northbridge too, so it killed two birds with one fan :) Chipset temps dropped a SOLID 5 degrees both load and idle, it was the first time I actually found something good in the fact that DFI put the northbridge right next to the damn PCI-E slot :D

waltherone said:
Ahh, thought you meant the Zalman video card cooler, which would of course be mounted on the bottom side of the card :)

At any rate, the whole purpose of heatsinks of course is to create more surface area for air to move across and suck heat out of. Air blowing across the bare IC's doesn't seem to be real adequate, as I had a lot of air moving over mine back when I had no sinks on them (via that big ass Sanyo-Denki 120x38mm fan on the front blowing like 150cfm) and they were still overheating. If I were you, I definitely wouldn't rely on the air blowing out from my cpu cooler (I assume youre talking about the zalman 7000 or 7700, the big "flower" heatsink?) to cool them, since the wind tunnel inside my case wasn't even enough :p

I am putting heatsinks on the troubled ICs. It just happens to be convinent that the 7700 is going to give a breeze in that direction.

2x OCZ BGA Aluminum sinks for four Mosfets (got two from a guy on some forums shipped for $1)

1x Microcool PLL Chipsink for two chips that get so hot, covers them well, maybe .5mm of the very edge of the chips is not under the sink base.....not enough to matter at all

applied with Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive

excellent results, draws away massive amounts of heat, the Mosfet cooling was more because i can, they dont get nearly as hot, the two in the middle of the card get hotter than the two towards the top edge of the card, but a cooler running chip is a happier chip

and by the way, the two chips that do get so hot are of the exact same height on my card.....were on the card before too, same card model/brand, but this probably varies from time to time depending on how the machines in the fab were running and set up that day

of course, GPU and memory fully sinked and cooled very very well, haven't even seen above 58*c fully loaded with anything you want for as long as you want, this thing is amazing, idles 38*c, 80x15mm fan has been flipped to pull heat up and away from the card, additional 80x25mm fan screded to heatsink face pulling cool air up into it

nobody_here said:
2x OCZ BGA Aluminum sinks for four Mosfets (got two from a guy on some forums shipped for $1)

1x Microcool PLL Chipsink for two chips that get so hot, covers them well, maybe .5mm of the very edge of the chips is not under the sink base.....not enough to matter at all

applied with Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive

excellent results, draws away massive amounts of heat, the Mosfet cooling was more because i can, they dont get nearly as hot, the two in the middle of the card get hotter than the two towards the top edge of the card, but a cooler running chip is a happier chip

and by the way, the two chips that do get so hot are of the exact same height on my card.....were on the card before too, same card model/brand, but this probably varies from time to time depending on how the machines in the fab were running and set up that day

of course, GPU and memory fully sinked and cooled very very well, haven't even seen above 58*c fully loaded with anything you want for as long as you want, this thing is amazing, idles 38*c, 80x15mm fan has been flipped to pull heat up and away from the card, additional 80x25mm fan screded to heatsink face pulling cool air up into it

Yeah I was gonna ask about those two being the same height, as your sink wasn't slanted.. that one you've got on those two (the microcool heatsink) looks kinda nice, wish mine were the same height so I could use it :)

What cooler is that (your main one?) Never seen it before, looks kinda cool , and sounds like it works as well as it looks :)

Well I was able to put mosfet sinks on the back of my card and my really small fan.

This is how it turned out

56k Beware:

http://web.njit.edu/~ddo3/1.jpg <- shot of sinks
http://web.njit.edu/~ddo3/2.jpg <- shot of sinks again
http://web.njit.edu/~ddo3/3.jpg <- shot of fans
http://web.njit.edu/~ddo3/4.jpg <- see how small they are?
http://web.njit.edu/~ddo3/5.jpg <- after putting on card
http://web.njit.edu/~ddo3/6.jpg <- after putting on card again

The fan is only to cool the back 2 since those are the only sinks that get really hot.

Sweet, I like that custom fan bracket you made to mount the fan on the edge of the video card :p

waltherone said:
Yeah I was gonna ask about those two being the same height, as your sink wasn't slanted.. that one you've got on those two (the microcool heatsink) looks kinda nice, wish mine were the same height so I could use it :)

What cooler is that (your main one?) Never seen it before, looks kinda cool , and sounds like it works as well as it looks :)

that would the only the best GPU cooler in the world..... :p

Thermalright V1 Ultra!!

keeps a 1.5v modded card running 700/1800 at under 60*c fully loaded....38-40*c idle, 60*c is rare, typical load temp when just gaming and stuff is only 50-52*c, pretty amazing, a 10-12*c delta on air cooling

took me two tries to get the darn thing mounted perfectly to get it this low though, it is a bit aggravating, but worth it

Unfortunately, my RAM slots are right above the video card, so I couldn't put anything extravagant there. Still, I put on a couple of those low-profile Zalman ramsinks, and since there's already a 120mm fan blowing over the back of the card, they do fine.

They're hot, but not burning hot.

I personally cannot believe they would ship cards with those mosfets running at over 80c at load.

Back