New 7900GT information from eVGA!

NoxTek

The Geek Redneck
I just recieved an email from Jacob over at eVGA, and it had some very hopeful news for those of us with 7900GT issues:

Hi,

I am sending you this email because of your 7900GT problem.

We are sending out new, fully tested, and slightly modified cards starting Friday.

We can send this card cross-shipped, I have attached a .PDF form, can you please fill that out and fax in? Once this has been done, we can start the RMA process. Once you receive the new card, simply but the defective card back in the box, and ship back.

The fax number is on the .PDF form. For the RMA ID field, please put "7900GT Problem"

Thanks,

Jacob

EVGA

This is quite a good bit of news!

So what could we possibly gather from this? Has eVGA identified a problem with (some of) their 7900GT cards and are they now taking steps to resolve that problem? You'll notice that he says they are sending out brand new cards that are 'slightly modified'. I wonder what that modification will be? A physical one perhaps or just a different BIOS?

VERY interesting stuff.

I must say once again that I'm quite glad to have chosen eVGA for my last few nVidia card purchases. The support they are providing during these trying times is.... well... it's quite simply superb. :)

Interesting. I wonder if other companies are also going this route. I wouldnt mind sending back my BFG 7900GT for a new one. It cant even overclock 5mhz. I know that isnt a big deal, just cant overclock, but it still makes me wonder if im getting the most out of my card, or if something is going to happen down the road.

Wooooo.. "slightly modified".. they -did- put some 'stank' in them. ;) finally.

That's great news man. I hope XFX follows the lead here. I wonder what the modification is for reals? maybe the vertex frequency adjustment? maybe better control the of the memory voltage, keeping it at 1.9v? inquring minds want to know. :)

Blue Falcon said:
So what could we possibly gather from this? Has eVGA identified a problem with (some of) their 7900GT cards and are they now taking steps to resolve that problem?

I've identified the problem. The freakin' cards keep corrupting the Nvidia driver files and other system files! I can't get my drivers to properly work after the artifacts and video noise began on my 3rd day of having sli. But Evga has been very cooperative about problem solving it. I just hope I don't have to resort returning both my 7900's. I just got sli Damn!

This is from Joe at EVGA

EVGA hears our customer requests and will do the following steps:

1. If you have a 7900GT series with problems (artifacting, freezing, etc.), Please visit the following page and fill out the quick form. http://www.evga.com/7900.asp

2. We will contact you directly and walk thru the issues one by one.

3. We’ll test individual card per customer using games & 3DMark06 tests.

4. We’ll cross-ship you a new card with a prepaid (ARS) shipping label

EVGA will make every effort to get in contact with you by end of day on Wednesday, May 24th. If you require a special time or phone number other than the one registered with EVGA please note that in form you fill out.

Please make all post in this thread so we can easily monitor the comments & feedback.

Thanks,
Joe

jAkUp said:
This is from Joe at EVGA

Yeah, that was posted yesterday morning or the night before on the eVGA forum if I remember correctly. The email I recieved from Jacob was sent around noon-ish today...

That sounds really promising.

I've been dealing with BFG Tech and while they have a good RMA procedure going on and everyone is really nice they have not once acknowledged any problems with the cards and have not mentioned anything about making any revisions to their cards.

It's too late for me, I've already ordered my x1900xtx to replace my 7900gtx. I'll be selling my replacement card (third BFG card and fourth 7900gtx) new in the unopened anti-static bag on eBay to get back as much money as possible.

I wish BFG Tech had been as forthcoming and responsive as EVGA.

Blue Falcon said:
Yeah, that was posted yesterday morning or the night before on the eVGA forum if I remember correctly. The email I recieved from Jacob was sent around noon-ish today...

if im correct then jakup = jacob. could be wrong though but jakup works for evga.

KJ43 said:
That sounds really promising.

I've been dealing with BFG Tech and while they have a good RMA procedure going on and everyone is really nice they have not once acknowledged any problems with the cards and have not mentioned anything about making any revisions to their cards.

It's too late for me, I've already ordered my x1900xtx to replace my 7900gtx. I'll be selling my replacement card (third BFG card and fourth 7900gtx) new in the unopened anti-static bag on eBay to get back as much money as possible.

I wish BFG Tech had been as forthcoming and responsive as EVGA.

Yeah if this solution by EVGA really fixed the problem, I hoe BFG does step to the plate and do the same thing.

Lazy_Moron said:
Yeah if this solution by EVGA really fixed the problem, I hoe BFG does step to the plate and do the same thing.

I hope XFX does also. :eek:

I'll be interested to see what the "slight modification" consists of....if they put sinks on the back chips then I can do that myself. (don't have my card yet but should have it by Saturday)

nobody_here said:
i hear ya bud, good luck, shutting down their own forums was not a promisiing first step however :(

LOL - no shit.. "Stop bothering us you damn customers!!!" ;)

TheRapture said:
Well shit...I hope the XFX I got coming in tomorrow has no problems.......
Hope the same with mine :|. Oh well. Thank XFX for Double Lifetime Warentee.

Sounds good, I already had to replace my evga 7900gt but my replacement seems fine, doesn't OC as well but oh well, I don't get blinking on and off screens anymore in 3dmark03, actually I haven't tested in a while I'll do that tonight hehe

On a side note, my 3dmark06 doesnt load!! what gives?

Blue Falcon said:

Funny you mention that because I'm the guy who sent you that email ;)

Oompa said:
Hope the same with mine :|. Oh well. Thank XFX for Double Lifetime Warentee.

what sucks about their warranty, if you tell them you overclocked or swapped out your cooling device they will void your warranty, so then you end up with Double Lifetime Nothing

i think they added the extra components to the back of the card in the spot where the common voltmod is done, if you look at the Signature Series cards, they are more stable, less problems, and they have more circuitry there, they probably upped VID to 1.35v too

nobody_here said:
what sucks about their warranty, if you tell them you overclocked or swapped out your cooling device they will void your warranty, so then you end up with Double Lifetime Nothing

i think they added the extra components to the back of the card in the spot where the common voltmod is done, if you look at the Signature Series cards, they are more stable, less problems, and they have more circuitry there, they probably upped VID to 1.35v too

That is why you dont tell them ;) Overclocking though, they might be able to see, if you had it long enough, there might be some burn marks on the core. The cooling though, just swap back on the old one. No one they can tell it was switched or less you screwed something up when you took it off or put it back on.

jAkUp said:
Funny you mention that because I'm the guy who sent you that email ;)

Doh! LOL

So can you clarify? Are the new cards actually being modified physically in some way to correct the issues?

I can understand if you can't be specific.... :)

well it's not like we won't know once we start to get them

my RMA'd GT CO SC should be here tomorrow or Friday, it's alikely one of these new cards, so i'll have a look see

Blue Falcon said:
must say once again that I'm quite glad to have chosen eVGA for my last few nVidia card purchases. The support they are providing during these trying times is.... well... it's quite simply superb. :)

lol. yea evga is good, but gfb is better. there customer support is legendary. i mean i have never worked with a better tech support team. cept maybe Telus (BC and Alberta Telecommunications).

MrWizard6600 said:
lol. yea evga is good, but gfb is better. there customer support is legendary. i mean i have never worked with a better tech support team. cept maybe Telus (BC and Alberta Telecommunications).

i suppose you mean BFG

look at their warranty too, overclocking and cooling replacement voids warranty

they have no user forums either

they may be good, but EVGA has the best single total package in the industry, nobody can match it

hopefully I dont have any problems with 567 KO SC 7900GT thats supposed to come in next week.

nobody_here said:
...look at [BFG's] warranty too, overclocking and cooling replacement voids warranty....

huh. i returned a friends card that he had oced (to the max) and didnt recieve any complaints, just a really fast rma. but yea the forums are useful.

TRex said:
BFG actually does have forums at www.bfggaming.com

Not the best but they are there.

hrm...i looked before and didnt see them.....my bad

yeah, they cant tell if you overclock, but i prefer EVGA's approach, i can call them up and say "hey, i was benchmarking the other night, and i replaced the cooler with the Zalamn one and ramsinks and i jacked this sucker up to 600/1800 and it was running great, and then the smoke came out of it and it's dead and i would like a new one please"

and they would say "ok, here's your RMA number"

with BFG or XFX they would tell you to go fly a kite, good luck in life

EVGA promotes honesty, i mean really.......they know everybody is going to tweak these things to the max......why not allow people to be honest and forthcoming instead of having to be dishonest

I just want to say that I don't really think it's productive to bash ANY of the AIB partners. At least unless they really have done something to deserve it.

I understand that a couple of the AIB partners had support forums and shut them down unannounced during the onrush of 7900GT/GTX complaints. I personally don't think that this was done out of deception or malice, they may just not have had the forums staffed well enough to deal with the flood of posts. You guys know as well as I do that for every intelligent person requesting assistance on a forum there is some whiny little kid that just wants to cause a ruckus.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, of course, but I'm just playing devil's advocate for a minute. Give the other AIBs a chance to make their resolutions too. :)

nobody_here said:

The point is that I can get my card, test it and if it starts screwing up then get a replacement.

Oompa said:
The point is that I can get my card, test it and if it starts screwing up then get a replacement.

as long as you just want to run it stock out of the box and get it replaced if it dies, then you're good :)

Spazilton said:
hopefully I dont have any problems with 567 KO SC 7900GT thats supposed to come in next week.
It should fly. I recieved one last week which replaced 7900gt sc that I rma'd. Mine will run solid at 700 on core, have'nt pushed memory yet but does 880 easy. These cards run 1.2v in 2D and 1.45v in 3D. No need to mod if they all run this good unless you're xtreme.

SumBeach said:
It should fly. I recieved one last week which replaced 7900gt sc that I rma'd. Mine will run solid at 700 on core, have'nt pushed memory yet but does 880 easy. These cards run 1.2v in 2D and 1.45v in 3D. No need to mod if they all run this good unless you're xtreme.

did you have to ask for the GT CO SC to GT KO SC swap or was it by defualt? did you confirm those voltages with a DMM while running?

i sent in my GT CO SC to RMA last week, and they shipped out my replacement Tuesday of this week, i hope it's a GT KO SC myself

looks to me like there's not much reason to carry the GT CO SC anymore.....who's gonna spend $349 for it when a GT KO SC can be had for the same $$??

SumBeach said:

Intresting to know they are running a higher than stock vcore on the GPU.
I was orginally doing a stepup for a 7900 CO SC, but after waiting almost 2 months in the stepup queue, they finally switched everyone into the 7900 KO SC queue. I'm not complaining.

If they're shipping out new cards, it's a safe bet there's a new hardware revision out, or they'd just send out boot-CDs with BIOS flash.

I did not ask for KO SC, thats just what they sent. I was curious as to what voltage this card had since its clocked at 580 on core so I checked vgu voltage with DMM at idle and while running rthdribl. Its 1.2v idle and 1.45v under load.

The KO SC cards have more ic's added to them in the same area that you would do the ink volt mod, so evga has changed the card, up'ed the clocks and voltage.

SumBeach said:
I did not ask for KO SC, thats just what they sent. I was curious as to what voltage this card had since its clocked at 580 on core so I checked vgu voltage with DMM at idle and while running rthdribl. Its 1.2v idle and 1.45v under load.

SumBeach said:
The KO SC cards have more ic's added to them in the same area that you would do the ink volt mod, so evga has changed the card, up'ed the clocks and voltage.

awesome, yeah, thats what i thought, thanks

thats why my GT CO SC would not run over 1.2v no matter what i did to the BIOS, it could say 1.5v and would onyl run 1.2v

So I am curious.
Are the people with the CO SC's getting RMA'd with KO SC's?
I am wondering since I believe my CO SC is acting up and thinking of starting the RMA procedure.

D.

That would be nice - going (personally) from a GT CO (think I saw a reference to someone maybe going from 'plain CO') -> KO SC clocked @ 580/1580 should quiet those pissed by having to RMA (some multiple times) - assuming the cards are actually 'fixed' and the issues taken care of that is..[edit] Upgraded card or not, I just would like a card that actually works in Oblivion (w/out multiple RMAs).[/edit]

Not to mention they seem to be covering shipping both ways (ARS UPS return label?), albeit with cross shipping - good thing except personally, I'm not sure I have the ~$300 in my debit account that I use for 'net transactions to cover it..I'd obviously have to do something about that come the time to RMA this poor card.

This RMA was setup just for people with this problem. I'm not sure about getting the KO SC, but everything is free. They send you the new card with next day UPS and pay for the return shipping with an ARS label. Mine should be coming in a couple days, I originally had the normal non-overclocked 7900GT...I'll see what they send back.

Back