The Chenbro Gallery

calvin_q

Limp Gawd
Picked up a Chenbro SR107 for a new project and thought I'd share it in the Chenbro gallery. But first it appears I have to start a Chenbro gallery thread :eek: OK now thats done. :D

Main goal with this project was to take a mid tower case and mod it to accept a triple radiator internally, w/o sacrificing bays. That's a pretty common trade off you see with many water cooling builds. But since a triple is about as long as most mid towers are high thats probably not a good option in this case LOL.

There is a rationale explanation for wanting this. First of all needed a system that would be able to fit within the computer recess of a desk, hence the height restriction. Very quiet was also a priority but not at the expense of performance, so water cooling c/w triple rad. It was either gets rid of the desk or finds a case, and thanks to Chenbro, get to keep the desk. :D

Had to look around a bit to find an appropriate candidate. Its possible to observe a fair number of examples of full towers with internal triples, but mids I couldn’t find any. First I considered what an appropriate case layout might look like. Front mount was out. Top mount and bottom mount typically consume multiple bays. Rear is out unless maybe some form of cube, but also dealing with a width constraint. So had to be a case with room available in behind the drive bays. Enter James Bond, err I mean the SR107.

The SR107 is from Chenbro's server case line. 8 hdd bays, 3x5.5, 1x3.5 vertical, all of which are external which is a bit unusual but very convienient I'm finding. (hdd bays are designed to be hot swappable through an optional backplane) The works wrapped up in a modest 16" package. 16.7 if you like precise.

Its possible to customize the look of the case through multiple bezel choices, although locating some of them can be a challenge. I opted for the 10768 bezel, pictured here:

SR107_front.gif

Full range of bezel options...

http://www.chenbro.com/corporatesite/products_01features.php?serno=14

Now on to the mods. Inside the case is fitted with a large L shaped bracket that divides the case into compartments. This interfered with my planned location of the rad in behind the bays. So I did what all self respecting modders do when faced with an obstacle. Break out the tools! Drilled out the rivets, removed the bracket, marked my lines and started cutting away!

Pretty simple actually, two straight cuts across the bracket to open up a roughly 4" inch wide gap. Providing clearance for the rad to project up through. Also drilled the odd hole here and there, four to secure the rad, a couple for wires concealment, and a couple to mount the pump.

OK enough talk, pics:

radmb_800x600.jpg

pump_640x480.jpg

2_hdd_bays_in_case.JPG

front_bays.jpg

Front1_640x480.jpg

Sincerely hope others will chime in with their fine examples of a brand that I have come to appreciate for its build quality, and unique features.

That's really cool... I love the side 2.5" bay for your fanbus... I wish more cases did that. Honestly, you could fit so many smaller bay items in the spance of 2 larger bays...

looks nice man, btw, wat did you do to the black ice pro ii?

i didnt hardly read any of the post but just wanted to chime in and say that design is a work of art. I noticed it quite a while ago and it really stood out. Even today it stands out among PC's... although it kind of reminds me of the expensive refrigerators you see nowadays.. hehe

Anyone have the Chenbro Gaming Bomb II case, the one that was all aluminum, removeable mobo tray, 120mm fans, wire management features, etc...it looked like a REALLY nice case but it was way overpriced :/

Thanks for the replies and many +’ve comments. :)

That's really cool... I love the side 3.5" bay for your fanbus... I wish more cases did that. Honestly, you could fit so many smaller bay items in the spance of 2 larger bays...

I think the main reason you rarely see this arrangement in cases is its impact on case width. (manufacturing cost?) For this project I saw the extra width as a nice plus, especially when it came to pump placement. A little extra room never hurts with water. ;)

Over time you develop habits. One is I try and avoid placing the pump on the case floor. Because I find it usually obstructs something. Second I like to avoid routing tubes across either the pci slots or memory slots to allow for easy servicing and upgrades. ie maintain as much functionality as possible. (pic below illustrates the memory area a bit more clearly)

bottom_angle.JPG

looks nice man, btw, wat did you do to the black ice pro ii?

Heh, gathering dust along with the rest of the retired hw.

please post more pics of the repack reservoir...

i'm looking into getting one but want to see it installed...

Back