Auzentech XMeridian is finally out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alg7_munif

Supreme [H]ardness
Edit: I edited the first post because this thread is getting too long and I don't think that all of you want to read this entire thread.

Auzentech, the company that owns the XMystique and the XPlosion sound cards, starting from today is selling the XMeridian sound card which is based on the C-Media Oxygen HD CMI8788 Audio Processor. The X-Plosion and X-Mystique have their market because their digital outputs support Dolby Digital encoding(DTS encoding is also supported on the X-Plosion). DD/DTS encoding is the only way to get a surround sound through a digital output of a sound card, a surround sound from a DVD movie is however can be passed through any sound card with digital output because the sound is already pre-encoded in DD/DTS format. None of the creative's cards can do the DD/DTS encoding so you can only get a stereo sound through SPDIF. Now many new companies try to enter this market by selling sound cards based on the newer C-Media Oxygen HD chip which also supports Dolby Digital/DTS encoding through the digital output. The Oxygen HD is a newer and a better chip than the chip on the X-Mystique/X-Plosion. All sound cards with the new Oxygen HD chip have a SPDIF input. To keep their card as the first choice against other new companies, Auzentech has taken a new approach by making the analogue output on the X-Meridian one the best analogue output you can get for a consumer level PC sound card.

For more info on this card:

Review from Penstarsys
Review from Techgage.
Review from Rage3D
Review from Elite Bastards
Review from DriverHeaven
Review from Guru3D
Review from Club Overclocker
Review from REG Hardware.
Review from nvnews
Review from ThinkComputer.
Auzentech X-Meridian specs
The X-Meridian against a X-Fi Elite Pro.
A very long thread where owners of the X-Meridian hang out
Newegg link
Vista 32 Beta driver from Auzentech
Beta Vista Driver for Oxygen HD, 8738 & 8768 sound chip from C-Media
The LM4562 OPAMP is highly recommended to be used with the X-Meridian
If you can read chinese:
Review 1 & review 2 from FJ007.com.
Review from pconline.com.cn.
Review from Bear eyes

Info regarding Vista/OpenAL from Auzentech's website:
Latest News about Vista Compatibility
01/18/07
We are pleased to announce that Vista-compatible drivers for our Sound Cards should be available the first week of February. As soon as the drivers are posted , this page and the download page will be updated.

11/22/06
This feature clarification is a response to support questions concerning the lack of DirectSound™ hardware acceleration in Microsoft Windows Vista™.

Dolby® Digital Live and DTS® Connect will be supported.
Auzentech will continue developing support for OpenAL.

11/15/06
We are developing drivers for MS Windows Vista RTM.
We are still in the coding phase.

My own review:
17th November 2006:

I got my X-Meridian and I managed to get the my X-Meridian working together with my X-Plosion without any conflict by taking out the old X-Plosion then put the X-Meridian in another PCI slot. After finished installing the X-Meridian, I put the X-Plosion back in and they work without any problem. I noticed that the mixer of my X-Plosion will have less volume control bar than before if I use the X-Meridian as my default sound device. When I use the X-Plosion as the default device, I don't get extra volume control in the mixer of my X-Meridian.

So now my first impression of the X-Meridian:

The first thing that I like about the X-Meridian is it has a front panel connector that is missing on the X-Plosion. Then I really like the Xear 3D of my X-Meridian more than the Xear 3D of my X-Plosion because it has a lot more new features. Some new features that are missing in the X-Plosion: Dolby Headphone, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, Flexbass, and Speaker time delay setting. For me the speaker time delay setting is an important feature to calibrate my surround speaker, before this only the volume can be changed when calibrating. The delay setting really helps if you are not using a receiver or your receiver didn't have this feature like the receiver of my Z-5400. Another thing that is different from the X-Plosion is that the X-Meridian will continously send a DD/DTS/digital signal to the receiver without the need to enable the magic voice feature. My system will be unstable if I use the magic voice feature with X-Plosion before so I had to disable it, but by doing so I'll miss a fraction of a second from any sound played on my PC(I won't get the sound when clicking on a link because the receiver took a little time to detect the DTS/DD signal before starting to decode it).

Now it's time for some sound testing:

My Z-5400 has 2 optical inputs so I can connect both of the card with optical cable. I use foobar2000 to play a .flac file for this test. I only changed the sound card in the foobar2000's output setting to compare both cards. At first I used my headphone(Sennheiser HD595) that I plugged into the headphone output of my Z-5400 receiver. The results: the sound from the two cards is almost the same and I can hardly tell the different between them. A digital 44.1kHz output(same value as the FLAC file) of the X-Plosion sounds the same as 44.1kHz output of the X-Meridian, DTS interactive of the X-Plosion also sounds the same as X-Meridian and Dolby Digital too. When I unplugged the headphone and use the actual speaker of my Z-5400, it also gives me the same result. So what does this means, does the X-Meridian have a same sound quality as the X-Plosion in digital? Maybe but I only used a PC digital speaker, not a HT receiver, so with a HT receiver the result could be different. I've also monitored my CPU usage when playing flac in foobar2000 with 44.1kHZ, DTS and DD setting for both cards, both cards didn't show any different in CPU usage compared to the CPU usage when my PC is idle.

Not it comes to the most interesting part:

When I plugged my headphone directly to the analogue output of the X-Meridian, I was amazed that the analogue output gave me a much better sound than the headphone output of my Z-5400. Before this the headphone output of my Z-5400 will give me a better sound quality than the analogue output of the X-Plosion. This shows that the X-Meridian has a better DAC/circuit than my Z-5400 but my Z-5400 circuit is better than the X-Plosion's analogue. I don't know how good is the Z-5500 compared to the Z-5400 but if you're planning to buy a Z-5400 and connect it digitally with the X-Meridian, I would say forget it, stay with analogue or get a real HT receiver. BTW I've opened up my Z-5400's receiver, it uses the same Cirrus Logic's CS42526 chip like the Z-5500
A Cirrus CS42526 data conversion chip is used to move signals between the analog and digital domains.
The chip has a lower part spec than both DACs on the X-Meridian

The X-Meridian also can output a bit perfect sound through the spdif, I've confirmed this by playing a DTS wave sound using 44.1kHz digital out but my receiver detect it as a DTS signal. The fact that the X-Meridian supports 192kHz/24bit in 8 channels means that it is time to say goodbye to my X-Plosion. The mic input on the front panel of my X-Meridian works, on the X-Plosion, the mic input's volume is very low. I haven't tried the input at the back yet, but I don't think I'll try it because I don't really need it. The front input is good enough for my online phone calls.

So if you ask me which card to buy, the X-Meridian or the X-Plosion. My answer would definitely be the X-Meridian but if you are only interested in digital output then get any of the card with the Oxygen HD chip rather than the X-Plosion, the interface is much better than the X-Plosion(continous digital signal and more features).

I've waited long enough for this card and I'm really satisfied with it.

18th November 2006:

I tried GRAW last night with generic hardware and EAX enabled. I didn't play much, I just start a new game, on the bridge there is an oil truck and I shoot it. It explodes and then catches fire, when it is on fire I can hear the sound. I turned around and heard the sound moved to the back. Then I faced the fire and move behind another truck, I can hear the sound changed when I got behind the truck. I've also tried it with Dolby headphone and the result is the same. The X-Meridian is not a bad gaming card at all but it still needs a higher EAX version support to win against X-Fi in gaming.

15th December 2006:

I bought an OEM X-Fi XtremeMusic. Well I got a very good offer for it and I thought that the X-Fi shouldn't be far behind the X-Meridian plus I could benefit from the hardware acceleration in games but the X-Fi disappoints me, the sound difference is HUGE especially when listening to musics with my HD-595, even if I'm deaf, I still can hear the difference between them with my headphones. Note that I don't like any 3D effects when listening to musics, I use neither the CMSS3D nor the Dolby Headphone, I tried the Crystalizer, the audio creation mode and the entertainment mode but the X-Fi can't even come close to the X-Meridian on my headphones. I didn't play games with the card yet though. The X-Fi is not a bad card for musics but I really miss the sound from X-Meridian for musics. It doesn't matter how people said many good things about X-Fi and many bad things about X-Meridian, now I have both cards, I know the difference between them. what I know is I like how musics sound on the X-Meridian much more than on the X-Fi. Btw Robscix on Guru3D forum has suggested a way to use both cards with a pair of headphones to play games. Connect the X-Fi to the X-Meridian using digital connection and let the X-Meridian do the D-A conversion, I did this with my two cards. I can still use EAX 5 and CMSS3D together without losing a better sound quality from the X-Meridian. When I tried this setup for musics, the X-Fi sounds as good as the X-Meridian, actually the X-Meridian sounds good, I'm only using the X-Fi's chip but the sound is actually from the X-Meridian.

To connect the X-Fi to the X-Meridian you need to enable the digital output of the X-Fi and enable the SPDIF input monitoring on the X-Meridian. People have used dual GPU and dual core CPU, I think that the dual sound card idea is very interesting but by using SPDIF, you can only get a stereo sound. If you play games with headphones+CMSS3D, the you will certainly get a better sound using this setup. This setup will also improve performance in games because the hardware acceleration is done by the more powerful X-Fi's chip.

Some info from the thread:

Based on the specs, the X-Meridian should give a better sound quality(crisp, clean, clear and etc.) through the analogue output than a similiar priced X-Fi. It does 192kbps/24bit output in 8channels. The X-Fi can only do 192kbps/24bit in stereo and in more than 2 channels the X-Fi only does 96kbps/24bit. The X-Meridian also has a better DAC than a similiar priced X-Fi and it has a higher sound to noise ratio.

This card will not do EAX higher than 2.0 and it still doesn't support OpenAL so you will not get the "realistic effects"(echo, reverbs and etc.) like you get with the Creative cards in games that support EAX higher than 2.0. However not all games support EAX and OpenAl so in those games the X-Meridian could sound better than a similiar priced X-Fi. If EAX in games is your priority then this card is not for you.

People said that this card will some of your CPU power for processing. You will get like 5-10 less fps if DD/DTS encoding is used but I don't see any good reason why you need a sound card to improve frame rates, for me a sound card is supposed to give a better sound.

This card also supports the Dolby Headphone technology, the Dolby Headphone technology actually can work in two ways, first it can simulate a discreet 5.1 sound on headphones so that you can also enjoy a good sound positioning with your headphones. The second way is it can work together with Dolby Prologic II to upmix a normal stereo sound to a 5.1 sound but the upmix usually didn't give a good sound positioning like a discreet 5.1 sound does.

This card has a good competitor as said by phreak144:
phreak144 said:
Edited by alg7_munif

The image of a b-Enspirer on this page clearly shows the AK4396VF DACs, which the X-Meridian uses. We can clearly see that the X-Meridian uses this DAC, they talk proudly of it on their specifications page.

As for the OPAMPs, well, if you look closely at this picture of the X-Meridian, you can make out the AUK S4580P OPAMP, which is an equivalent with the OPAMP on the b-Enspirer, the 4580 JRC and here is the document for the 4580 JRC this is for AUK S4580P.

Now, if this is all correct, they should have the same analog capability. (right?)

The spec sheets for the 4580 JRC and AUK S4580P are identical.

So it seems to me, these both perform identically for analog.

The X-Meridian does not use the reference design, and you get these advantages
-Swappable OPAMPs
-Combination coax/toslink digital ouputs
-Standard 10PIN Front Panel Audio supports connectivity for stereo audio output and a microphone input from most new chassis. (All 7.1channel analog output muted by jack connection sense of front panel headphone out / Dual MIC input available by back panel mic input and front panel mic input)
-Support for an extension board with additional connectivity

As for as the Sondigo Inferno goes, it uses the same AK4396VF DACs, and it uses JRC 4560 opamps. How do these opamps compare to the AUK S4580P found in the X-Meridian and the 4580 JRC in the b-Enspirer? I don't know.

The answer from Auzentech regarding this:
Regarding the DAC, yes, we use the same DAC from Bluegears, but they are in different placement and that is the technology that Auzentech have. The placement of the DAC in the BlueGears board are far from the output and the other components. The BlueGears sound card is the same as the Sondigo sound card which is all supplied from the same Taiwanese company Formosa 21 which use the C-Media reference board for mass production.

We have engineered our board with difference DAC placement and additional component to produce better sound quality. An analog signal degrades the further it travels along a circuit. We enhance the quality all along the board. We use double layer PCB and many additional engineering technology involved in the design and development of our board.

BlueGears and Audiotrack Prodigy 7.1 uses the same JRC 4580 SMD type OPAMP. We use different vendor (AUK). The biggest advantage of our OPAMP would be that we are swappable.
For more info about the difference of the X-Meridian see this website.

Actually even by changing the cable connecting a sound card to a same speaker, the sound will change so if you change the whole board and components, they will also change the sound, so if you think the b-Enspirer is the same card like X-Meridian, they are actually not. Donnie27 has confirmed this, he has a friend who returned his X-Meridian to get the cheaper b-Enspirer.
Donnie27 said:
His words, "the Meridian is slightly but noticeably better". So you're right. I intended to post that but forgot.

Some other cards with the same C-Media Oxygen HD chip:
Club 3D Theatron DTS
Bluegear b-Enspirer
Sondigo Inferno
HT Omega Claro
Razer Barracuda 7.1

Pictures of the card:

X-Meridian
b-Enspirer
Inferno
Barracuda AC-1
HT Omega Claro

The difference between all of them is most likely only the analogue circuit/components(analogue sound quality) and connectivity(front panel output, extension board etc). If you don't plan to use analogue then all of them can be considered same except for supports from the manufacturer.

Original Post:

Auzentech, the company that owns the XMystique and the XPlosion sound cards, starting from today is selling the XMeridian sound card which is based on the C-Media Oxygen HD CMI8788 Audio Processor. The sound card is almost the same with the Bluegear's b-Enspirer but it has a much better analog circuit that will cost you a lot more money. More details on the card are on the Auzentech's website.

Has anyone got the card already? It'll be great if the card can be reviewed here. I've pre-ordered the card before but since I'm living in Europe, the shipment will take some times. I choosed the XMeridian over the b-Enspirer because Auzentech's customer and technical support have never failed to entertain me before. I have the Xplosion sound card and it delivers something that Creative has failed to deliver to me, the DDL/DTS encoding to use with my Logitech Z-5400 speaker. I'm very pleased with the XPlosion. When I get the XMeridian sound card I'll let you know how it sounds.

p/s: No the card doesn't have EAX higher than 2.0 and no the card will not improve your frame rates. It is a sound card, it'll improve the sound! To improve frame rates, buy a better graphic card!

i'm interested to hear a good review on the card..

i have both the Mystique (HTPC) and hte Xplosion (Gaming setup) and i'd be interested to hear how the Meridian stacks up..

I broke one of my Mystique's connectors or i'd definately do the trade up offer they had going for it.

Auzentech has changed the look on their website today, one day after they released the XMeridian. Right now only sewelldirect.com has the XMeridian for sale, other online shops still don't have it.

For someone who's not planning to use the analogue circuits, would it matter if I went with a Mystique or X-Plosion?

My setup is a Creative Labs DDTS-100 (the mini-receiver box that does DD/DTS) matched with a Klipsch 5.1 Ultra and a Dayton 10"/100w subwoofer connected to the Klipsch sub's output for their special add-on subwoofer.

Sounded DAMN GOOD with my nForce2 board, but I sold that motherboard months ago and the speakers have pretty much been used for TV only :rolleyes:

analogue circuits?

This is something that has caught my interest.

I usually plug my fiber from the, integrated, board to my receiver and I get good sound. DTS and DD sound great. However I know using the the regular analog connectors sound doesn't sound well . To me at least.

I'm currently listening, testing, an X-Fi and I'm really not impressed. Yes it sound better than the integrated but not worth the $ IMO. I have the Platinum I'm testing for a friend.

I saw reviews on the blugears and the AZ xplosion as well.. was wondering what are pros and cons of each. I really don't want to go over 100 as I did that once on an M-Audio and it sound great but there has to be a Bang for the buck card.

I hope you enjoy your card!!! Let us know!!!

Kent,
For digital only I think that the XPlosion is better than XMystique because the DTS encoding has a higher bitrate than the DD and I don't think you need the XMeridian. Why do you want a sound card that can encode DD/DTS when you can connect your speakers directly using analogue connection? I don't think that the DDTS-100 has a better DAC. The DAC on my Z5400 is also not very good, but I'm planning to buy a HT receiver later which will have a better DAC. The XMeridian has a good analogue circuit and it also can encode DD/DTS. Isn't it good to have such a card? :D

MC FLMJIG,
I wouldn't buy the XPlosion or the Bluegear's card for the analogue outputs, I think the X-Fi is better for analogue. The XMeridian should be better than X-Fi in both digital and analogue but it'll put a hole in your pocket, it'll cost you $200.

alg7_munif said:
The XMeridian should be better than X-Fi in both digital and analogue but it'll put a hole in your pocket, it'll cost you $200.
But the real question is not its encoding capabilities nor its output circuit. The question is: does it natively support OpenAL? I see nothing that would lead me to believe that is does, which, unfortunately, makes it a less than ideal gaming card.

hopefully we get reviews soon.. I love my HDA xplosion. went from X-FI to xplosion. Games sound fantastic with dolby digital live. I wont even consider creative till they add DDL.

phide said:
But the real question is not its encoding capabilities nor its output circuit. The question is: does it natively support OpenAL? I see nothing that would lead me to believe that is does, which, unfortunately, makes it a less than ideal gaming card.

And the fact that it still supports DirectSound3D in software makes it much less than ideal for gaming. The lack of OpenAL will really kill them in new games.

I could stomach DirectSound3D being done in software, but with the advent of Vista, it's going to be much more difficult to stomach an OpenAL wrapper of any sort. A lack of speed doesn't bother me nearly as much as a lack of elegance.

Auzentech is not a part of Creative Labs, EAX is a Creative's product and OpenAL is now hosted by Creative Labs. It is quite easy to know why Auzentech's sound cards don't(couldn't) support EAX higher than 2.0 and all other Creative's technologies. I don't care if the Direct3D is done in software, with a resolution of 1920x1200 and SLi graphic, I don't think that my dual cores CPU have anything else to do, so why not give them a task to do the Direct3D in software. I've said before I want a sound card for a good sound not for frame rates. This is from Creative's website-"X-Fi 24-bit Crystalizer™ enhances MP3s and movies to sound better than they do on their original CD or DVD", how can they make it sounds better than the original source? Can you resize a picture taken with a 8 megapixel camera to 1.3 megapixel then resize it back to 8 megapixel and say that it is clearer than the original 8 megapixel picture?

alg7_munif said:
This is from Creative's website-"X-Fi 24-bit Crystalizer™ enhances MP3s and movies to sound better than they do on their original CD or DVD", how can they make it sounds better than the original source? Can you resize a picture taken with a 8 megapixel camera to 1.3 megapixel then resize it back to 8 megapixel and say that it is clearer than the original 8 megapixel picture?

It's a little different with sound as we deal in the perception of stimulus rather than a visual (blurry picture aside).

With sound human ears have points of sensitivity, think of a baby crying - 1-4kHz works so well as babies learn to use that pitch to get maximum effect.

The crystalizer in effect would do a few things, it would act like a high pass filter to wipe out lower end stuff that just takes up audio range bandwidth, and it would act like an EQ to bring the bass, voice and percussion forward in the mix.

It may also "de-noise" by having a raised noise floor filter, similar to compression.

They can't make the quality better, they can however sharpen the sound - like with a picture (which you can balance colour tones, sharpness and things like contrast) :)

Ribby said:
The crystalizer in effect would do a few things, it would act like a high pass filter to wipe out lower end stuff that just takes up audio range bandwidth
Feasible, but fairly doubtful. If the mixing engineer doesn't use a low cut filter on each and every channel during mixdown, the mastering engineer surely will. A low cut filter here would be doing very close to nothing.

Ribby said:
and it would act like an EQ to bring the bass, voice and percussion forward in the mix.
You've just described, for the most part, the entire audible range of a human ear. My suspicion would be a very generic "loudness" EQ. Accentuation at the low end and high end and de-accentuation of the midrange.

Ribby said:
It may also "de-noise" by having a raised noise floor filter, similar to compression.
Dynamics compression, you mean? Dynamics compression always raises the noise floor (unless you are, in effect, expanding). Noise reduction would have very little effect, but dithering might result in less "digital noise" (quantization noise/aliasing).

If I were in charge of creating a "Crystalizer"-type product, I would make certain that it would do absolutely nothing, which is very close to what Creative's Crystalizer already does.

I just found out that, the XMeridian and b-Enspirer have another competitor which is also a CMI8788 based sound card named Inferno from the company Sondigo. The company also supports a forum on their website.

Has anyone received one of these yet? I'm interested to hear what new owners of this sound card think of it.

I've not received it yet but I've already got an email saying that the card is already shipped to me. But since I'm in Europe and the card is sent from US, I don't think that it'll arrive early. Maybe another week or two.

Well I was waiting a LONG time for this card and as it never came out, I ordered Bluegears B-inspire. Weel now it got out :(, but since I can only rder from sites likw newegg and zipzoomfly, and it is not there yet, it's no use for me.
Some difference beetween those cards that noone sayd that made me want Mistique over B-inspire:
FrotPanel default 10 pin connector for HD audio.
This will be used (already is) in Vista, my case has tha frontpanel connector for HD audio, so it would be interesting to have it.
And also the possibility of having both coaxial and optical connectors in both IN and OUT, this way we can choose to use the one you want.
The mistique appear to have all solid capacitors and in the b-inspire they appear to be normal ones.
I would like to have the mistique, but 100 dollars for those things I told you, doesn't look to be valid for me.
I will only use the digital out in my HT setup, so the best analog out in the mistique is not an option for me.

For digital only I don't think there is much difference between the b-enspirer and the XMeridian, I also don't think that it'll have much difference with my current XPlosion card. So what do you think about your b-enspirer, is it good? I ordered the XMeridian just because it has both good analogue and good digital outputs. I can use the analogue output with a pair headphones at night, or maybe if the analogue output is better than digital out I'll use the analogue outputs for my logitech speaker. I don't know which DAC is better, the one in the logitech speaker or in the XMeridian. When I get the XMeridian I'll test the dolby digital/dts out and compare it with my XPlosion. I'll also compare the analogue out using a pair of headphones. My plan is to connect the headphone to analogue out on the XMeridian, on my XPlosion, and at the headphone jack of my logitech receiver(just to test which DAC is better). If I have time then I'll compare it with my onboard Audigy SE(Sound Blaster Live 24bit).

Newegg has it in stock... now if only I could find a review on it.

I need a few questions answered about using this card over my X-Fi:

I currently use a squeezebox to listen to music, so my concern lies more with gaming performance. I'd like to get 5.1 audio from games to my receiver without having to run analog cables the whole distance. I also think that X-Fi's analog output leaves a bit to be desired. If gaming sound quality is important to me, but not running a lot of cables is also important to me...

... would I be better off using:
- X-Fi's analog 5.1 to my receiver (more gaming features than X-Meridian?)
- X-Meridian's analog 5.1 to my receiver (better SQ via analog than X-Fi?)
- X-Meridian's DDL to my receiver (easier cabling but compressed audio?)

Essentially, is X-Fi that much better than X-Meridian for games? Does DDL compress audio significantly?

Yes the X-Fi is better for games. The sound out of the Auzentech is superior for movies and music but the damn X-Fi is MUCH easier on the system when playing games. Aka w/ Auzentech you can't play BF2 w/out pretty serious lag issues.

sucks b/c I just bought a $300 external DAC just to improve the damn X-FI's sound lol. My sound setup on my PC so far is around $800!!! lol at least it will last a LOT longer w/out upgrading than my PC.

For sound quality it depends on which X-Fi you have. The EAX makes the soundtrack sounds more realistic by calculating and adding effect, it has nothing to do with sound quality. Sound quality is based on the output of a sound card. The realistic sound is useless when a sound card can't output it properly, the quality would still be low. In analogue according to the specs the X-Meridian has a better output than all of the X-Fi except for the Elite Pro. By using DD/DTS, the sound quality is then based on the receiver, what DAC it has, and other components in the circuit, and the quality would normally be better than a sound card output because there is less noise compared to in PC case conversion. DTS has a higher bit rate than DD and does a less compression. I don't think that the compression changes the sound significantly because many movie studio use these compression format for the their movies.

The cards from Auzentech will definitely use some CPU power but it's not very significant. If you already have high-end CPU and graphic card(s), then you'll not notice any changes. The X-Ram also would not help much if you already have a good system. You are buying a sound card, not a graphic card so the sound must be your first priority.

The X-Fi with an external DAC will not give a true 5.1 sorround sound, Creative can only deliver 2 channels sound from the digital output but the cards with DD/DTS encoding can deliver 6 channels sound.

Edit: I don't have a X-Fi so I don't know how good is the sound quality of the card. I went to the Auzentech because I want 5.1 sound from the digital out and no creative's sound card can do this until now. If there is a single creative card that can give me this, then I would definitely buy it(even if it is something that creative creates on its own and not the DD/DTS encoding)

... would I be better off using:
- X-Fi's analog 5.1 to my receiver (more gaming features than X-Meridian?)
- X-Meridian's analog 5.1 to my receiver (better SQ via analog than X-Fi?)
- X-Meridian's DDL to my receiver (easier cabling but compressed audio?)

The answer is basically what I do.

For music, use the X-Fi's bit-perfect digital output (audio creation), while using entertainment mode for movies (still with the digital output). That way for music/movies the X-Fi will sound exactly the same as the X-Meridian.

For games, use the X-Fi's 5.1 analog out to your receiver. This is the only area that the X-Fi could potentially have lower quality sound, but you gain much better hardware acceleration, positioning, and reverb effects. I say potentially because most games use a lossy compressed codec (for instance HL2 uses an mp3 codec) for their sound quality (obviously little bit on the lower side); the likely hood of you actually noticing the difference between DDL/DTS:C and the X-Fi's 5.1 analog in games is probably very slim. Now if you are really dedicated, you could get the Elite Pro and have best of both worlds. I wouldn't recommend it though; the only reason I purchased one is I got decent deal for it for ($200 new) and I needed it for my DVD-Audio collection. I certainly didn't need it for the extra sound quality in games.

DDL/DTS:C is good for those who don't have analog inputs on their receiver, but outside of that market they have little value. I hope my experience has helped.

I agree the digital out is the same sound regardless of cards if it's bit perfect. However, for analogue out there is a difference in sound quality w/ the X-FI. I don't care about 5.1 really b/c I have headphones so all I really want is to add to the sound signature via the DAC.

spaceman said:
Yes the X-Fi is unfortuneatly much better for games. The sound out of the Auzentech is superior for movies and music but the damn X-Fi is MUCH easier on the system when playing games. Aka w/ Auzentech you can't play BF2 w/out pretty serious lag issues..

Thats not true at all. the only time it would drop fps is if you did DDL or DTSC and it would be maybe 5fps if that. I use the analog for my games (so no fps drop) on my Xplosion and there is no difference at all when i had my X-Fi.

Processor:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2GHz
Memory:
2046MB RAM
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT 512MB
Sound Card:
HDA XPLOSION 7.1

Moofasa~ said:
For games, use the X-Fi's 5.1 analog out to your receiver. This is the only area that the X-Fi could potentially have lower quality sound, but you gain much better hardware acceleration, positioning, and reverb effects. I say potentially because most games use a lossy compressed codec (for instance HL2 uses an mp3 codec) for their sound quality (obviously little bit on the lower side); the likely hood of you actually noticing the difference between DDL/DTS:C and the X-Fi's 5.1 analog in games is probably very slim. Now if you are really dedicated, you could get the Elite Pro and have best of both worlds. I wouldn't recommend it though; the only reason I purchased one is I got decent deal for it for ($200 new) and I needed it for my DVD-Audio collection. I certainly didn't need it for the extra sound quality in games.

DDL/DTS:C is good for those who don't have analog inputs on their receiver, but outside of that market they have little value. I hope my experience has helped.

Yes, that does help quite a bit. I'll probably just keep the X-Fi for now, even though about a month ago I really wanted to get the X-Meridian. Now to find some cheap but good 3.5mm to stereo RCA cables. Like these except shielded. Too bad I can't find any at monoprice. :(

Actually, has anybody shown that the XMeridian actually has a bit-perfect digital output for music? Neither the XPlosion or XMystique did.

Moofasa~ said:
The answer is basically what I do.

For music, use the X-Fi's bit-perfect digital output (audio creation), while using entertainment mode for movies (still with the digital output). That way for music/movies the X-Fi will sound exactly the same as the X-Meridian.

WOW! :)

SLee said:
Actually, has anybody shown that the XMeridian actually has a bit-perfect digital output for music? Neither the XPlosion or XMystique did.

Do you have either the Xplosion or XMystique, or a link to confirm what you said? AFAIK, Auzentech has not been sued like Creative because of False Advertising:

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=22019

If you don't believe the link above then read page eleven from this:
http://images.americas.creative.com/docs/6kq305.pdf

alg7_munif said:
Do you have either the Xplosion or XMystique, or a link to confirm what you said? AFAIK, Auzentech has not been sued like Creative because of False

I had the X-Mystique and in its current condition it does not have "true" bit-perfect output (and any other CMEDIA based card). To elaborate, it has the potential to be able to have bit-perfect output, but due to bugs it currently does not (there is noting physically holding it back).

The problem is if you set the card to "44.1kHz playback" in the drivers, it resamples everything to 44.1kHz, even 44.1kHz material :rolleyes: . Now for music, most people don't notice this, but it completely destroys 44.1kHz DTS files (you'll get garbage as audio because your receiver will no longer think it is a DTS file and will think it is a regular PCM file and then improperly decode it). Thus those of us with 44.1kHz DTS files, CMEDIA cards are worthless.

alg7_munif said:
Do you have either the Xplosion or XMystique, or a link to confirm what you said? AFAIK, Auzentech has not been sued like Creative because of False Advertising:

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=22019

If you don't believe the link above then read page eleven from this:
http://images.americas.creative.com/docs/6kq305.pdf

First of all that's off topic but what's new? X-Fi does bit perfect and Creative didn't get sued for that. I know that got sued because I got my 25% off and used it:)

Now since you asked for link, why don't you provide one showing this feature on those cards?

Newegg already has the X-Meridian in stock for only $169.99.

Costs a lot to stay a anti-Creative Labs uh?

Moofasa~ said:
The problem is if you set the card to "44.1kHz playback" in the drivers, it resamples everything to 44.1kHz, even 44.1kHz material
If it's clocking correctly, it shouldn't result in any samples changing, and thus should not be different than a card not doing any SRC (or at least I would assume this would be the case).

That's one of those "wow, that's a bother" things when looking at the formats some developers are using for games, insisting on using 44.1kHz, even when the XP kernel mixer defaults to 48kHz resampling via DirectSound.

alg7_munif said:
Newegg already has the X-Meridian in stock for only $169.99.

Hmm, that's an awful quick price drop. It was $199.99 on NewEgg 2 days ago...

Wonder how much it'll drop in the next week or so?

And where's a review? I still haven't seen one...

(or at least I would assume this would be the case)

But clearly this isn't the case, even if conventional wisdom says otherwise.

I can only account two reasons on why CMEDIA cards cannot bit-perfectly playback 44.1kHz DTS files correctly (or any 44.1kHz material for that matter):

1. The card resamples all audio material (perhaps the word "resample" is too specific, but we can agree it at least makes "changes", even if it's slight changes, to all audio material, thus technically making it not bit-perfect).
2. The card is not really outputting 44.1kHz like the drivers say.

It's much more likely to be the first though. I believe the card has a SRC that is fairly accurate, but not 100% accurate. Meaning it does resample (perhaps it just changes in a different way, whatever you want to call it) all audio material, but since it's not 100% accurate, it is unable to perfectly recreate an exact copy of the audio material. While only small amounts of data are "cut off", it is enough to corrupt 44.1kHz DTS files.

Donnie27 said:
Costs a lot to stay a anti-Creative Labs uh?

For $169.99 I think it's cheaper compared to the X-Fi Elite Pro. The Output spec of the X-Meridian is comparable to the Elite Pro, it's better than any other X-Fi version.

Some people already got their X-Meridian at the Guru3D forum and they are all satisfied with their card. You can check this thread from that page: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=183439&page=28

Actually according to Auzentech's website only the X-Meridian can play DTS CD, the X-Mystique and X-Plosion can't play them according to the spec.

I've had mine a few days, but I keep getting errors with it..

for instance when importing music, I've tried both the drivers on the CD, and the latest ones for download..

everytime it reaches 4% it crashes.

http://www.native-nations.com/mediarack.JPG

very ugly pic

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/ojibewa/sound.jpg

also with guitar rig, all I am getting is total distortion of sound and a bad delay even tho the ASIO setting say 2ms

their tech support is not very prompt also, I submitted a ticket with no reply..

Indian

alg7_munif said:
For $169.99 I think it's cheaper compared to the X-Fi Elite Pro. The Output spec of the X-Meridian is comparable to the Elite Pro, it's better than any other X-Fi version.

Some people already got their X-Meridian at the Guru3D forum and they are all satisfied with their card. You can check this thread from that page: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=183439&page=28

Actually according to Auzentech's website only the X-Meridian can play DTS CD, the X-Mystique and X-Plosion can't play them according to the spec.

That's $189 currently at Newegg:)

Sure but it is not HALF as good as the Elite Pro with games:)

I can play DTS CD and DTS DVD, have several to prove it. Then even cheaper X-Fi (Xtreme Gamer or Music) kills it when Games are used as the performance measurement.

I'd go set top if music was its main use, SACD or DVD.

http://www.avrev.com/music/revs/stevemillerdts.shtml

It's the Quadrophonic version remastered to DTS 5.1. For Pure sound I'd take SACD. For surround sound I'd take DVD Audio. Hotel California was remastered for true 5.1 and Kills my Sting DTS Disc, not even fair. Please Note, I like 96KHz Stereo the most. Though Darkside of the Moon in 5.1 is fun:) Also Alan Parsons, George Clinton many others moves me LOL!

The price has gone up again? Might be because of high demand. How can you be so sure that the X-Meridian is not half as good as the Elite Pro? Have you heard the sound? I can't compare the X-Meridian with a X-Fi because I don't have one and I never heard the sound from X-Fi before. I do have an Audigy ES, my mobo also has an onboard Audigy SE(Live 24bit) and I'm really sure that my current X-Plosion blows those two away.

Ojibewa, can you explain more about the error, maybe I can try it with mine when the card arrives.

alg7_munif said:
The price has gone up again? Might be because of high demand. How can you be so sure that the X-Meridian is not half as good as the Elite Pro? Have you heard the sound? I can't compare the X-Meridian with a X-Fi because I don't have one and I never heard the sound from X-Fi before. I do have an Audigy ES, my mobo also has an onboard Audigy SE(Live 24bit) and I'm really sure that my current X-Plosion blows those two away.

Ojibewa, can you explain more about the error, maybe I can try it with mine when the card arrives.

Could be high demand or low supply. Please note that I said for Games, not in General. I use Set Top for Music downstairs in my Den. I do computer stuff with my computer ;) Yes I might dabble with a some Music in my Computer room but that's about it. Music listening is not a high Priority on my Computer like Games are.

X-What-ever Cemedia card doesn't support OpenAL and lacks the Hardware to support it so that makes it almost useless to me. I didn't post here to argue about 2nd rate Audigy, Audigy SE or ES. I'm sure that cards blows them away as well. An X-Fi Xtreme Gamer costs almost 90 dollars.

X-Fi Xtreme Music for $79.33 including shipping and a $20 MIR.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829102005

$145.99 ($115.99 after $30.00 Mail-In Rebate)
3 Business Day Shipping $6.34
(Not available in HI, AK and PR)

Sorry but I (just me and not speaking for anyone else) couldn't see paying $189 for something can't do EAX 3 or higher or OpenAL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back