Beyerdynamic DT 770 microphone mod v 2.0 (updated)

craigbru

[H]ard|Gawd
I just couldn't help myself. I guess I'm never satisfied. There's always room for improvement, right?

A while back, I posted about a mod that incorporated a detachable microphone on a pair of Beyerdynamic headphones. The mod went better than expected, and the end result looked very good. From an ergonomic, and convenience standpoint, I couldn't have been happier. However, I've found one caveat. I've used the new headset mod quite a bit, and in doing so, I've always felt the microphone could be a little better. That little shortcoming had to be fixed. So, with that in mind, I've created version 2.0 of my mod.

I started with arguably one of the best stand alone USB mics available. This Logitech has a solid reputation for sound quality and ease of use. I wasn't using my onboard sound anymore, so why not switch to a USB mic as well?
img2281tx9.jpg

Time to tear this thing apart.
img2282ee4.jpg

I proceeded to crack open the plastic shaft that the mic was in, and was left with the following piece. Inside was the mic that I needed. I knew I had to be careful at this point. The whole thing was glued together, and I had to break it apart without damaging the mic itself.
img2283fd5.jpg

This right here was the secret to my new mod. A lighter? Yeah, that's right. I wasn't really wanting to start anything ablaze, I simply wanted that great flexible metal shaft.
img2284ks5.jpg

A few pictures of the lighter deconstruction.
img2286xf0.jpg

img2287cr8.jpg

Here we go. Now, if you'll look closely, you can see the mic sitting inside the middle of this metal housing. It fit perfectly, and the mic was well protected.
img2288py5.jpg

img2290vz0.jpg

Here we have the mic attached to the shaft.
img2291mw3.jpg

What would a mic be without the obligatory foam wind windscreen?
img2292jm0.jpg

I needed a new cable to run from the mic. I found exactly what I needed from an old 12 volt power adapter. This had to be modded a little as well.
img2306th7.jpg

A little trimming on the plastic stress relief allowed the cable to slide into the shaft snugly. I couldn't ask for a better fit!
img2310cr0.jpg

A little modding on the base allowed the cable to slip right in to place.
img2313um6.jpg

At this point, all I had to do was solder the new cable back on to the circuit board.
img2315lz8.jpg

Here we go! This is the finished mod. It attaches, and functions the same as the first mic did. The biggest differences have to do with the features of a USB mic itself. I can now turn the mic on and off with the press of a button as well. The improved sound quality is what really sells it for me. The mic is crystal clear, and mic boost is a thing of the past. At the moment, I can only think of one downside. The larger silver boom doesn't look as 'factory' as my previous mod, but the improvements far outweigh that little complaint. Now I just need to figure out what to mod next. Decisions, decisions...
img2317yd7.jpg

img2318uj3.jpg

Awesome. I tried something like this once but it involved velcro and duct tape.

It's surprisingly light. If I had to compare it's weight to something, I would say that it weighs about as much as 3 quarters (75 cents, that is). They are very transparent when being worn.

I'm attempting to emulate this bad ass mod...here it is so far.
It's way more ghetto than Craigs!

I used the very same mic as in v1 and secured it with heat shrink tubing, still looking for the proper aluminum (right now its 14 gauge steel wire.) What I have clue how to do though is get that awesome textured finish on the aluminum fitting

Craig Thanks for your help in PM's!

Well, ghetto is in the eye of the beholder... :D Looking good, btw.

The whole point is that you modded something. Take some inspiration, and run with it!

B_R, you're welcome. PM if you have any more questions. I'll do what I can to help.

The mod that has been initiated by Craig is very good... What's AS nice in my opinion are the beyers and other types of higher end headphones. Some people live in areas where they can play their music loud all the time, some do not and furthermore do not want to annoy people they may be talking to with reverb from "whatever."

The point is this... You do NOT know what you're missing out on, if all you have been listening and talking with is the normal 40 dollar Best Buy/ Circuit City headphones/Headsets. The difference is worth upgrading to. Makes you realize how shitty your compressed Mp3 files are!

I agree 100%. Quality headphones are worth every penny. I was absolutely amazed at what I was missing after listening to my Beyers for the first time. Or as B_R mentioned, what was missing, mp3's in particular. I bought a Meier Corda Aria to amp my Beyers and have been in audio nirvana ever since.

Thanks Craig.... Your design worked out great!

After cutting and sanding

P1010qq057.jpg

All together
P10100qq63.jpg

On and very secure
P1010064qq.jpg

Truly amazing.

I don't have a set of headphones or anything to try out, but your mod helps give me some insight that EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING can be used to mod! I've been thinking about building my own case or something along those lines if I ever get time in between classes and now I'm starting to look at everyday objects in a whole different light (no pun intended).

Just remember.... the entry into good headphones doesn't have to be overly expensive... people at Head-fi are constantly looking to trade or sell their old cans so that they may get other sets... they're nuts...and you can often find correspondingly nutty deals.

Back