Installed a Ninja into a PC-V600B

ococ

Limp Gawd
Just wanted to share my experience so maybe others can learn from it in the future. I installed a Scythe Ninja Plus (V2) and two Yate Loon 120mm fans into a Lian-Li PC-V600B case today. I'm very happy to say the entire install took <30 minutes. Here are the steps I took:

Move PSU:
  • Moved PSU from stock location (directly above the CPU when the case is laying on it's side), over into the 5 1/4 slots since I don't need them. It's just laying on it's side.

CRW_9167.jpg

The other option is to put the PSU outside the case, which I may eventually do, but with the limited space in the V600, there's hardly any space for a sizeable heatsink.

Prep CPU:
  • Used rubbing alcohol to remove old AS5 from CPU
  • Prepped CPU using Emery Cloth
  • Reapplied AS5 using the instructions
    here
    CRW_9168.jpg

Mount fan onto Ninja:
CRW_9164.jpg

See the corner of the HS where there's a wide slot an then two smaller slots on each corner? The fan clips tightly onto each corner. Very simple, no screws but seems to clip fine.

Mount Ninja!
I thought this would be the hardest part but it turned out to be very easy with the right tool.

In the pic above, I've already installed the Socket 775 mounting bracket. This was simple using 4 screws. Next, BE SURE TO UNDERSTAND HOW THE 775 clips work. I almost broke my stock intel HSF before understanding that its very simple. Before putting the Ninja in place on the CPU, make sure the posts (or whatever you call those things) are in the open position. With your hand, do a quick quarter turn counter clockwise (while the HSF is right side up) and pull upward. Do this for each corner. Then place the Ninja on the CPU and use a long slot screwdriver to push the post through the hole in the mobo, then a small quarter turn to lock it in place. The way the Ninja is cut, the screwdriver can be inserted directly from the top of the Ninja down to the mobo for each corner. I dont know how this is possible by hand. Do this for each corner and you're set. This should be VERY EASY. If you're finding yourself having to jam things in, you maybe doing it wrong. Be sure to set the post to the open position first.

CRW_9169.jpg

That's it (for the Ninja install). I also installed 2 Yate Loon fans while the case was opened. It's now WAY quieter than the stock fans. The fan that comes with the Ninja seems pretty quiet so far.

My temps for a E6400 @ 2.8 dropped about 8 degrees idle, from 49 to 41 using Intel TAT.

So I played around with the new toy a bit more and here are a couple of observations. Not sure if others are seeing the same things:

-Decided to apply AS5 using a razorblade, thin layer across HS, instead of just a thin line down the middle. Looks like the results are exactly the same. The only diff is that you use alot less AS5 with just one line.

-I noticed that when my case was flat, the temps were slightly better (3deg) than when the case was upright (with the ninja now being horizontal). I screwed the posts ever so slight and my temps went from 41 down to 35. Score!!! 13-15 deg down from stock.

All of this was at 2.8, now upward!

Gratz! Nice temp drop!

I just installed my Arctic 7 Freezer Pro today and got similar results. Around a 20C drop at load (but I think my Intel stock HSF had a concave contact plate). I also used the line down the middle method...no muss, no fuss. :)

Good luck on 3GHz!

I've got it now at 3.2 stable for 12hrs. It's at 1.38v with the temp peaking at 62, which is a bit high for my liking. Measured using TAT.

Back