Vista free upgrade coupon question

Gatticus

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone know if I was to buy MCE2005 with the free Vista upgrade coupon would Microsoft disable my MCE2005 product ID when I got the Vista upgrade? Or would I be able to use both? I've seen nothing stating this but they might do it that way.

At the very least, it's a possibility (since, IIRC, they did this for those of us that did the XP -> x64 upgrade). Not a given, but definitely something to consider.

They didnt disable XP 32bit ones when they did the trade up program to XP 64bit, at least not mine

Thanks that's what I was hoping is the case. MCE2005 and Vista Home Premium for $135.00 CAD is a good deal and I will take it. :)

Then why is this online store selling OEM MCE2005 with free Vista upgrade and not telling customers they have to buy a system too?

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=21369&manufacture=Others&promoid=1021
Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 with SP2 OEM English W/ Vista Upgrade Coupon

People there say you just need to buy one piece of hardware to buy OEM and qualify. In other words, I could buy just a mouse and OEM MCE2005 and get the free Vista upgrade.
Not a complete system.

Gatticus said:
Then why is this online store selling OEM MCE2005 with free Vista upgrade and not telling customers they have to buy a system too?

Probably because they either don't understand the upgrade program themselves or they simply are going to take advantage of consumers and boost their year end sales.

Newegg specifically has pics of the Express Upgrade Coupon that states "For Distribution Only with a qualifying PC preloaded with Windows Professional or Windows XP Tablet Edition from an Authorized System builder." which in itself implies the XP license with coupon is not supposed to be sold unless it is preloaded on a new PC.

Gatticus said:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=21369&manufacture=Others&promoid=1021
Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 with SP2 OEM English W/ Vista Upgrade Coupon

People there say you just need to buy one piece of hardware to buy OEM and qualify. In other words, I could buy just a mouse and OEM MCE2005 and get the free Vista upgrade.
Not a complete system.

Because they are as ignorant about it as many consumers seem to be? Go to the link I posted and read what it says. Other than that, I have a part-time job at a major retailer and I have known exactly what MS was going to be offering since well before they announced it to the public. And while I dont work a register, I do know free Vista upgrade coupons ONLY print out on new PC puchases, nothing else.

Unless those retailers plan on honoring that upgrade on their own, I wouldn't trust it. MS only does the upgrade deal via the major PC retailers.

Well, you may say they are ignorant but there is a post from NCIX that says they clarified it with Microsoft and it is legit. They are saying when you buy OEM you are the system builder and therefore you just have to buy some qualifying hardware and show the receipts to Microsoft to be approved. You don't have to buy a complete system. Still, I'm not taking the chance to find out so won't be buying OEM MCE2005.

I asked a similiar question to Microsoft Finland, here is the reply.

Hello *****,

The OEM Windows XP Media Center Edition should come with an upgrade coupon entitling you to an express upgrade for Windows Vista Home Premium.

The details of the Express Upgrade programme are not always known by every seller of the store or they merely haven’t updated the information on their website. Either the PC should have the coupons or ask the store to print it out for you and fill in the details.

Arrrghh!!

Nobody seems to know the Absolute answer to this question!

So I buy a motherboard and CPU. I also buy MCE. Am I entitled to the cheap upgrade? Where do I find the facts?

I received a canned response:

You may have to provide the following in order to qualify and receive your Windows Vista upgrade product:
1. Must have purchased a PC with Qualifying Product preinstalled
2. Receipt/Invoice of order within the Eligibility Period (to be mailed/faxed/scanned separately to AFC)
3. Valid COA
4. Appropriate payment method
5. Must submit order request within Redemption Period

I replied to them posing the question again: If i buy a motherboard and CPU do I qualify for the upgrade?

Well, NCIX is saying yes but someone up above who works at a computer retail store says no. <shrug>

Gatticus said:
Well, NCIX is saying yes but someone up above who works at a computer retail store says no. <shrug>
The overwhelming majority of threads I have read on this conclude that it will N-o-T work if you merely buy the OS, it needs to be part of a full system as mentioned above. It is very possible that places like Newegg couldn't get anything but these particular versions (highly doubtful but still a possibility).

I am not going to bite on this upgrade coupon bit, I've seen enough evidence that it won't work by simply buying the OS. But it's your money.

ir0nw0lf said:
The overwhelming majority of threads I have read on this conclude that it will N-o-T work if you merely buy the OS, it needs to be part of a full system as mentioned above. It is very possible that places like Newegg couldn't get anything but these particular versions (highly doubtful but still a possibility).

I am not going to bite on this upgrade coupon bit, I've seen enough evidence that it won't work by simply buying the OS. But it's your money.

Me neither, if none can't give a firm answer, always expect the worst... I won't waste any money on any upgrade scheme and will probably buy the full retail package for me.

Yea, just buying the OS won't do it. But the question has now changed to; will buying the OS with just a cpu, ram or mb qualify?

Just got off the phone with PATRICK @ microsoft.

We are eligible to get the upgrade to vista through the tech guarantee by purchasing:
OEM Hardware
OEM Windows XP (just has to be OEM)

I asked about newegg, and here is his official reply:
Newegg is an OEM provider, so if you purchase OEM hardware, and the OEM Windows, you will be eligible.

The phone number I called:
(800) 426-9400
option 2 for end user
option 3 for windows products

I was connected right away to Patrick.

good stuff. now what is hte cheapest thing to buy to qualify as OEM hardware? :O my lil sister needs a new mouse....

oe800 said:

We are eligible to get the upgrade to vista through the tech guarantee by purchasing:
OEM Hardware

Newegg is an OEM provider, so if you purchase OEM hardware, and the OEM Windows, you will be eligible.

(800) 426-9400
option 2 for end user

Be advised WHICH upgrade you are entitled to, is determined by what oem software you buy. To get Vista Home premium, you need to buy MCE2005. If you buy XP PRO, then you get Vista Business, as the upgrade. I, too called the Redemption center 1-800-817-5602 and was told that MCE2005 will be added to the site next Tuesday. and that you do NOT have to buy a new pc in order to qualify. The fine print on the box grants us a single systems builders license, that you accept by breaking the seal. SAVE THE BOX. Not 100% sure, but the end flap may come into play before this is over.

BIGDADDY51 said:
Be advised WHICH upgrade you are entitled to, is determined by what oem software you buy. To get Vista Home premium, you need to buy MCE2005. If you buy XP PRO, then you get Vista Business, as the upgrade. I, too called the Redemption center 1-800-817-5602 and was told that MCE2005 will be added to the site next Tuesday. and that you do NOT have to buy a new pc in order to qualify. The fine print on the box grants us a single systems builders license, that you accept by breaking the seal. SAVE THE BOX. Not 100% sure, but the end flap may come into play before this is over.
Not 100% true. I just went to the OEM System Builder site (I'm a OEM System Builder) and I was able to print the upgrade coupons out to use with OEM preinstalls that I do with XP's that did not come with the coupon. It clearly states that XP Home users can upgrade to Vista Home Basic for $49, to Vista Home Premium for $79. XP MCE 2005 users can upgrade to Vista Premium for free. XP Pro (32-bit) users can upgrade to Vista Business for free. Xp Pro (64-bit) users, can't remember. Taxes and/or shipping not factored in.

I'm an oem small systems builder, registered with MS too, But, prefer to buy individual copies of thier software. Remember, that by being registered, it entitles us to benefits not extended to the general public. Newegg is estimating the cost of the nominal fee, to be around $20. Vista basic hardly seems worth it. Vista Home premium will probably be the first choice of most, with business being the choice of guys who want to run dual cpus. Basically, I think it's a marketing scheme, to help all the vendors dispose of thier stock of old software, and maybe a first step to bring small guys into line as small systems builders.? .You will note that a copy of the single small systems buildes license, is attached to each carton of oem software that has the upgrade coupon., and that by breaking the seal on the carton, you accept the terms and conditions of the license. They couldn't have made the print any smaller :D

You agree to the terms by breaking the seal without even reading the agreement? That wouldn't stand up in any court.

Gatticus said:
You agree to the terms by breaking the seal without even reading the agreement? That wouldn't stand up in any court.

The terms are affixed to the outside of the packaging and can be read prior to breaking the seal.

Ah, that's ok then. I remember seeing a few computer games saying the same thing and they had no EULA printed on the outside of the box.

Gatticus: I'm in the same boat and wondering about the same issues: whether I need to buy a full system to get the oem version. I took a look at some of the posts at Ncix. They mention that Ncix is in touch with M$ and the upgrade company to clarify the issue. They mention having an answer by the 20th, but there is no info yet. I am also eagerly awaiting the answer. Getting mce2005 and Vista home premium for 135CAD is an excellent deal that I definitely want to get in on. I do need a new HD, so if I need to purchase some hardware at the same time, I'll just get that.

oe800 said:

OEM Hardware

(800) 426-9400
option 2 for end user

I called today11/21, and got quite a different response from MIKE The coupon states the TRUTH. You DO have to buy a New pc in order to qualify for the upgrade. Furthermore, Mike also said that DIYs like ourselves were NOT going to be eligible for this Promo, UNLESS you are an AUTHORIZED MS systems builder, and then the coupon could only be used by the END USER, who you sold the new pc to, NOT YOU. He said that there had been numerous phone calls on this issue. The redemption center did add MCE2005 to the list today, but trying to use MY upgrade coupon, bought 11/03/06 at Newegg, the coupon was called Invalid. A call to modlink got very little info. "Charlie"(yeah right) :rolleyes: said that the coupon showed it was bought on 10/23, and therefore was invalid,never mind the fact that it came in a sealed box from Newegg. After several minutes of on hold etc, he said to call Newegg for a resolution, because he couldn't change the date in the computer.A call placed to Newegg got the" Check back in 24-48hours, and we will try to help." Charlie" squirmed off the hook, by saying to try the coupon again tomorrow. MAYBE yet more misinformation on this, and 3 weeks since the purchase. I guess we will find out more then.

SJConsultant said:
The terms are affixed to the outside of the packaging and can be read prior to breaking the seal.
Only with a VERY LARGE magnifying glass. :D I blew it up to 150% after downloading a copy of the license from MS.www.microsoft.com/oem for a look at the license under the licensing section on the left.

Back