RAID0 Error Occurred

Excavator

Gawd
What could be causing this error? I can't find anything about it.
What to do to fix it???

Have a look at the screenshot -
[IMG deleted.jpg[/IMG]

The computer boots and runs fine.
Running Vista x64 RC2
Chkdsk didn't find or fix any errors...
See sig for system specs.

This went away when I re-installed. As explained later, or somewhere else, one drive was marked with an error after a crash and re-building the RAID fixed it. I don't know if you can rebuild the RAID like that without losing data.

have u tried to remake the RAID ? or ... unmount the RAID first and check every disk on it's own to make sure that disk WD-WMAP41167463 didn't psysically fail...

Greetings ;)

Since it's running fine right now I'm not doing anything till I research this a little more. If there is a way to fix it without losing data I'd like to do that.
I'm waiting on a response from WD too.

If I do rebuild the RAID, will it wipe the drives?

if it's working.. i'd back up everything first and then do what you will.

Agreed. I would run some diagnostics on the individual drives. Check out www.ultimatebootcd.com - you can make a bootable CD with a lot of drive diagnostics on it. There's those from the manufacturer, and also a nifty one called MHDD32, which allows you to see response times, etc which the manufacturer diag programs do not show you.

Lucky you can still boot with the striped array in the state it is!

Excavator: did you ever figure this out?

I have a similar problem. Difference is I have 2 drives in RAID 0. Get same error in Intel Matrix Storage Manager. Will not boot to OS. Just goes back to POST. Was working just fine. This happened after having to do a hard reset after shipping computer. Checked all connections and reinstalled HDs. HD spins up, I can hear it. Tried SAFE MODE in OS but still goes back to POST. Intel support was no help. They closed ticket after giving me instructions on how to fix it from inside Windows, which I can't get to.

Any ideas?

XP Pro
Intel D975XBX MB
Intel 950D
4 GB RAM
2 WD 740GD Raptors on RAID 0
EVGA 7900 GTO

Thanks Excavator. Much like your issue, the 'status' for the raid volume is marked as 'normal', but one of the 2 physical disks that make up the volume state 'error occured (0)' while the other one states 'member disk (0)'.

While looking at other forums and thinking about your problem, it occured to me that my problem my not be the raid volume at all. They may be 2 different problems (symptoms?). Especially since you can get into the OS and I can not. So tomorrow I will give reloading XP Pro a try. If I can then get into the OS, I will try the solution Intel gave me:

>> Can you access the operating system and use the Intel(R) Matrix Storage
>> Manager? If so, you can right-click the drive that appears as "error
>> occurred" and an option called "Mark drive as normal" may appear. If the
>> option is indeed available, click on it this will fix the error.

You may be able to give that a try to get your drive marked as 'normal'.

Bob

It's either the 965chipset or x64 OS...or something else, it's been a while since I studied this...but my computer doesn't run the Intel Matrix Storage Manager. The ICH8R does it all.

If this isn't fixed by rebuilding, partitioning and reformatting the RAID0 when I goto install Vista next month, then I will just RMA the defective drive.

Getting a similar problem, actually theres a review of the P5B-E on [H] now and theres also a forum post going here - http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1148562

The review mentions problem with SATA drives and getting corrupt partitions.

My problem occured where vista started having real problems, explorer slowed down adn crashed and response times slowed to a crawl etc, eventually i powered down and booted a few times (unsuccesfully) and used last known good config eventually.

I have 2x Raptors 36gb in RAID 0 and they're booting fine now but 1 of them has the error occured (0) message.

I've read that recreating the RAID with the exact same settings (partition size, block size etc) will not lose the data but I dont think I trust that, either way I never store any important data on my RAID 0 array, just vista and installed games/apps so it wouldnt be a massive loss, I may try this later tonight.

This maybe a problem with a controller on the mobo im going to continue to look into it and keep an eye on the update thats coming to the [H] article where they're getting a replacement mobo and do some testing.

I have the same error due to a locked up machine and a reset press. WD diagnostics are fine and I'm sure this is not a hard fault on the drive. Right now I have queries into Velocity Micro and Intel on how to clear the error message.

I even used the original post as an FYI for both vendors. We'll see where I get, probably nowhere; it's like an annoying light on the dash of your car. You know it's not broke but then again you don't know where the reset is either.

I'll have to invest in backups given all the Raid 0 horror stories, I've been lucky with my Vista upgrade and currently index performance at 5.6.

I have the same error due to a locked up machine and a reset press. WD diagnostics are fine and I'm sure this is not a hard fault on the drive. Right now I have queries into Velocity Micro and Intel on how to clear the error message.

I even used the original post as an FYI for both vendors. We'll see where I get, probably nowhere; it's like an annoying light on the dash of your car. You know it's not broke but then again you don't know where the reset is either.

I'll have to invest in backups given all the Raid 0 horror stories, I've been lucky with my Vista upgrade and currently index performance at 5.6.

what drives do you have?

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Intel(R) Technical Support.

In regards to your situation that the RAID is giving you an error but booting
into the operating system, we recommend you doing the following:

1. Please update the BIOS to its latest version, please bear in mind that
updating the BIOS will bring all the values to default therefore is better if
you disconnect the hard drives while doing this and until everything in the BIOS
has been set to work with the RAID again.

2. The instructions on how to perform a BIOS upgrade can be found at the
following URL:

http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/recoverybios.htm

3. Make sure that in the RAID BIOS (Ctrl+I) window everything is set to work as
a RAID.

4. Uninstall the Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager software you currently have an
install the latest version that can be downloaded from the following link:

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductI
D=2101

5. If the problems persist after all this please reinstall the operating system
with the latest floppy RAID controllers (F6 drivers).

Please do not hesitate to contact us again if you need further assistance.

Back