Rad in TJ09

madmat

2[H]4U
I'd like to cover the proper way to put a rad in a TJ09. I say proper since the rad will be sealed all the way down the sides and the mounts will be tapped. there are no nuts to try to hold in place and no funky L brackets to fight with.

Rad1.jpg

Here's the bottom of the case roof.

Rad2.jpg

Here's the rad where it'll live.

Rad3.jpg

Wanna put a triple up there? just overhang the opening a bit

Rad4.jpg

The third fan shows how much the rad will overhang in the rear.

Rad5.jpg

I've outlined where the hole ends and how much it'll overhang to the front. To make up for the overhang simply mount the rad 1/4" lower and seal it to the roof with some 3/8" thick foam weatherstripping.

Ok, to continue...

Rad6.jpg

I'm using 3/4" aluminum angle to hold the rad.

Rad7.jpg

It'll run along the fan holder mounts in the roof.

Rad8.jpg

Cut it to 11-1/4" long and mount to the rad.

Rad9.jpg

Setting it along the roof shows how it'll fit.

Rad10.jpg

There's a bit of a gap, nothing terrible.

Again, to continue...

Rad11.jpg

I cut out the bar in the middle. This case will be my main rig and will live with me for a good time.

Rad12.jpg

Again, the mock up from another angle.

Rad13.jpg

I drilled and tapped four holes in the brackets, two per side on the ends.

Rad14.jpg

Mounted! The roof holes are tapped so the rad cant slide side to side.

Rad15.jpg

Longer screws on one side...

Rad16.jpg

Standard HDD screws on the other side.

Rad17.jpg

And done! I could paint the angle black but I won't.

Thanks, I've had this in my mind for months now but I'm always working on other stuff.

Very nice job! I'll be relocating my rad inside as well this coming weekend. I'm curious as to why you did not use L brackets to mount the rad up there ? I also have another question im interested in getting aswered, what kinds of fans do you plan on using? I would think it would be best to use a higher cfm fan since you dont want to sacrifice any performance. Also, will you use the rear exhast fan hole as an intake now to feed some extra air to the rad?

The fans on the rad are the fans I'm using: Logisys LED fans. I didn't use L brackets owing to having to try to get nuts on the screws and the screw holes in the case roof are threaded meaning that once you've tightened the screws to the case roof brackets that's as tight as the screws will get.

As to the rear fan, no it'll remain as an exhaust, the holes stamped into rear of the case roof and the mobo tray will allow plenty of air into the case to keep the rad supplied with cool fresh air.

I did turn the fans on the rad over to act as exhausts so that they're blowing the air out of the case.

Definitely a better solution than most out there ;)

Not the prettiest though. You should anodize those L mouldings black :)

If I was making these for someone else I'd anodize or paint them but since it's my rig and I can't see them unless I'm on top of the PC I can't justify the expense. The flash makes them show up more than they do under household lighting.

If I was making these for someone else I'd anodize or paint them but since it's my rig and I can't see them unless I'm on top of the PC I can't justify the expense. The flash makes them show up more than they do under household lighting.

That's true. Flash DOES make silver pieces shine through :eek:

I'm glad you like it though :) Sorry I didn't say that earlier but I was eating and typing with one hand is a PITA.

I'm glad you like it though :) Sorry I didn't say that earlier but I was eating and typing with one hand is a PITA.

Well, I for one HATE L bracket solutions, so I sure do like it.

Eating isn't a bad idea right now... But I'm in the process of anodizing and re-electroplating a few pieces of metal :(.

Man. I like it. Great idea and most importantly, it's nice, clean and stealth looking. Good work man.:cool:

Yeah, that could be problematic. A thin triple will work although the upper brace on the mobo tray will need removal or at least a major massaging.

No hole cutting and no big mess. I don't like "bling bling" computer. ;)

BIX Stealth series rads will fit at that place just perfectly.

Ya really think it might be too tall? Hmm... I don't know what I'm gonna do. I'd love to come up with a fairly extreme oc water cooling solution for this case. I want to at least get one 8800 and a E6600 in the loop.

Ya really think it might be too tall? Hmm... I don't know what I'm gonna do. I'd love to come up with a fairly extreme oc water cooling solution for this case. I want to at least get one 8800 and a E6600 in the loop.

I don't know if the fan brackets under the top panel are removable or not for TJ09. If they are, then you can probably try to mount the radiator under the top panel (inside the case). I mounted my rad under the top panel of my Lian-li PC-V2100 Case.

Yes, the fan brackets are removable but the rub is that with another 25mm or so hanging down from the roof I'm afraid the fans would interfere with the mobo. As it stands now with a thinner triple relocated down another 1/4" from where the double is the top stiffener on the mobo tray will have to be removed.

I'm using the MCR220 (the 2 - 120 version of the rad you linked to) although I'd like to try a triple but my budget isn't permitting it.

Back