Father Of The LCD Dies At 74

HardOCP News

[H] News
A pioneer of liquid crystal display technology, Pierre-Gilles de Gennes, passed away Friday. He was 74. Everyone should turn off their LCD for one minute as a tribute…well, after you read this.

De Gennes, who was 74, won the 1991 Nobel Prize for Physics for groundbreaking work in liquid crystals and polymers, for which some of the judges accorded him the accolade of "the Isaac Newton of our time." He died on Friday.

Sad to see such great minds go. :(

But.. I wonder if this guy worked with the US gov't back in the 60's? I was talking with a guy at work, and he worked at top secret US nuclear facilites back in the 60's and 70's, and he said they had LCD monitors on digital computers that were actually as good as some of the first consumer LCD monitors that appeared in the late 90's. I shit you not, I personally know him, and he wouldn't lie. He said it was like stepping 40 years into the future.

Sad to see such great minds go. :(

But.. I wonder if this guy worked with the US gov't back in the 60's? I was talking with a guy at work, and he worked at top secret US nuclear facilites back in the 60's and 70's, and he said they had LCD monitors on digital computers that were actually as good as some of the first consumer LCD monitors that appeared in the late 90's. I shit you not, I personally know him, and he wouldn't lie. He said it was like stepping 40 years into the future.

Although his memories might be fuzzy about it, I wouldn't be surprised if it was true. A lot of consumer-level technology comes from discoveries from a long time ago.

Anyhow, though its too late, I guess I know who to thank for all the LCDs in my house. From my alarm clock, to my microwave timer, to my calculator, to my cell, to my DS, and to my computer monitors. Wow, thats a lot of LCDs...

Although his memories might be fuzzy about it, I wouldn't be surprised if it was true. A lot of consumer-level technology comes from discoveries from a long time ago.

Anyhow, though its too late, I guess I know who to thank for all the LCDs in my house. From my alarm clock, to my microwave timer, to my calculator, to my cell, to my DS, and to my computer monitors. Wow, thats a lot of LCDs...

Don't forget to check the radio and odometer in your car. (My truck has VFD, but my wife's Kia had LCD.).

Sad day for tech indeed.

Back