E6850 overclock round 1

Info man, That pictures so damn tiny all I can make out is 3.6. Whats core voltage memory timing etc etc ... ?

FSB -- 400
vcore --- 1.45
dram vcore 2.2
5:5:5:15
PLL Voltage 1.5
termination auto
nb voltage 1.4
voltage reference auto
sb voltage 1.2

FSB -- 425 x 9( (multi) )
vcore --- 1.5
dram vcore 2.2
5:5:5:15
PLL Voltage 1.5
termination auto
nb voltage 1.4
voltage reference auto
sb voltage 1.2

3.8ghz @ 1.5vcore 55 Load 40c Idle ON AIR...so far 10 minutes looking good. Keep ya updated.

untitled-7.jpg

unfortunately on Air.. I will rach my limits on 24.7..

Once I get watercooling I will denfintaly push higher..

Not bad for a 24.7 pc.

But kinda disappointed that Quads are hitting 3.6 ghz.

After a 12 hr test of orthos ( its been 1 hour orthos Large FTTS stable now)

Im gonna to be testing MAX FSB on 1.5vcore. I do not want to exceed 1.5 vcore

So i will keep up the updates :)

runnign my tests on same processor with abit ip35 (batch code L719B)
Getting 3906 on my 6850 at 1.475- 1.5 vcore air. temps at 60-62c

It seems somewhat pointless to go for a 6850 when G0 quads are getting almost identical OCs. And the price is pretty much the same too..

That intel thermal analysis tool....how accurate is that? Can that be used for any MB?

It seems somewhat pointless to go for a 6850 when G0 quads are getting almost identical OCs. And the price is pretty much the same too..

Umm well back when i purchased the processor. There wasnt much benches for the Quad.

Ummm using ITAT and Coretemp they are techincally showing same temps.

runnign my tests on same processor with abit ip35 (batch code L719B)
Getting 3906 on my 6850 at 1.475- 1.5 vcore air. temps at 60-62c

60-62 Load?? thats not bad man. im gonna try 4ghz later tonight after work around 3am

hitting 4ghz @ 1.5 but for now im letting it test for the 12 hours ill be at work.

so more updates later on today / tomorrow morning :)

I was actually able to boot up at 4.3 but not stable. I noticed once I go at 1.5v and higher the temps really climb. 70c is not to difficult to hit at that point. My ambent room temp is 27c. I'm doing 434 x 9 stable for 3.5 hours now. but then again, It's a bench table system (not in the case yet). I would be sure to set your shutdown temperature no higher than 75c if you leave the system alone. So far I've gamed cellfactor on it at 4ghz but it was only 30 minutes.I've set my on air limit 1.525 before I put it on water

i hit 3.6 stable at stock voltage of 1.35. even a tad higher and i had to increase the voltage. i went up to 3.78 at 1.45vcore stable which is consistent with other overclocker reports and i have no doubt i would be able to hit 4 but due to the increased power draw and heat i'm just running at 3.6 for now. i'm <40C at full load and ~20C idle.

btw, it says on the intel processor info page the limit of the e6850 is 72C.
http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLA9U

Ive read of far more people getting 3-3.2GHz out of there quad than getting 3.6G

btw, it says on the intel processor info page the limit of the e6850 is 72C.

You better read the fine print. The Intel spec is what is referred to as a case temperature which is not the same as a core temperature. The case temperature is measured on top of the heatsink in the geometric center, usually with a thermal probe. There is no software that reports this temperature so you can't compare the numbers that a program like CoreTemp is displaying to this Intel spec. It's apples and oranges.

Ive read of far more people getting 3-3.2GHz out of there quad than getting 3.6G

That was the old days. The new revision G0 Quad can do 3.6 GHz on a good board like a P5K Deluxe without breaking a sweat at barely over default voltage. I find it hard to believe too but there are enough people out there getting these kind of results and better.

That looks like its going to be my limit too. I'm topping off somewhere just under 3.9. :( I was hoping to get even numbers. Watercooling will fix that.

What is your vcore for that 3.8 orthos set to and what is your droop if any?

Might want to try CoreTemp .95.4 it shows about 12 - 14 degrees C higher than TAT does for me on my E6850.

Yeah, but if he tried to air cool a Quad at 3.6 it'd burn up. My 3.6ghz G0 is hitting 60 on dual 320mm radiators.

Might want to try CoreTemp .95.4 it shows about 12 - 14 degrees C higher than TAT does for me on my E6850.

Yep pretty much everyone is getting the temps confused with the G0 stepping. G0 stepping has a TJunction of 100 degress, not 85. And as CoreTemp uses this to get the core temps if you are not using the latest BETA version your core temps are showing 15 degrees low! However they are also happy being stressed to 15 degress higher- kinda averages out;)
A great article on C2D temps: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-temperature-guide
I

G0 stepping has a TJunction of 100 degress, not 85.

Do you have any documentation from Intel to confirm this? The programmer of CoreTemp may have decided on this to make the idle temperatures look more believable on the dual core G0 processors but Intel does not document the maximum Tjunction temperature for any of the desktop Core processors.

Yeah, but if he tried to air cool a Quad at 3.6 it'd burn up. My 3.6ghz G0 is hitting 60 on dual 320mm radiators.

I would say that there is something wrong with your setup then.. My bro is running 3.6 on his G0 with just a Thermaltake Big Typhoon with a better fan on it and his temps aren't much higher than yours.

i got mine running 3.4 but the temps are awful high.right now according to everest my temps are 38C idle. idk what to read tho cuz thats the cpu temp and the cores are 33 and 30. do i go by core or the cpu reading?

Do you have any documentation from Intel to confirm this? The programmer of CoreTemp may have decided on this to make the idle temperatures look more believable on the dual core G0 processors but Intel does not document the maximum Tjunction temperature for any of the desktop Core processors.

Nope I can't find anything from Intel that confirms this, sorry.
But I know that, according to core temp (non BETA) and Speedfan (without the 15 degree adjust) my e6850 @ stock idles at less than ambient on air!

without the 15 degree adjust my e6850 @ stock idles at less than ambient on air!

My original revision B2 E6400, which CoreTemp and SpeedFan assume has a maximum Tjunction temperature of 85C, also reports idle temperatures that are below ambient. That's impossible but when TjMax=85C, the load temperatures measured with an IR thermometer pointed directly at the IHS shows very accurate temperatures from about 50C to the throttling point at 85C.

If I use TjMax=100C for my processor, temperatures above 50C are not right and if I use TjMax=85C, the idle temperatures can't be right. The on chip digital thermal sensors were designed and calibrated to trigger thermal throttling and thermal shut down so my opinion is that they are not very accurate and shouldn't be used to report idle temperatures.

Without any publicly available documentation from Intel, the programmer of CoreTemp is guessing at TjMax. It may be 85C or 100C or some totally different number. He's also assuming that the data coming from the DTS is totally linear across the entire temperature range which it doesn't appear to be during testing. Any software that uses DTS data to report absolute core temperatures is guessing and may not be 100% accurate.

Users would be better off keeping track of how far they are away from the throttling point by setting CoreTemp to report the Delta to Tjunction value directly. This data is documented by Intel and CoreTemp does an excellent job of reporting it accurately in real time.

coretempdtsfw1.png

I see, that is a very good point. So the 'degrees to TJunction' is accurate, even when you do not know what TJunction is? I have spent ages trawling the forums and web trying to find an answer to the 'WTF is my CPU temp?' and 'how hot should I push it' questions. The article I quoted in the my first post was the most reasoned and informative- but didn't mention the little point of TJunction is GUESSED at!
Thanks for a very useful reply. Just for interest I will run CT and degrees to go and keep Speedfan with the 15 degree offset. Should cover all my bases there;)

Why is your voltage so low? I'm new to this overclocking thing, hoping to get my E6850 to 3.4GHz.

Why is your voltage so low? I'm new to this overclocking thing, hoping to get my E6850 to 3.4GHz.

When overclocking you want to run your processor as fast as possible with as little core voltage as possible. Less voltage equals less heat which will give you a more stable system. Only use as much core voltage as you need to maintain stability.

mach1.9pants: When overclocking I found a direct relationship between how much temperature headroom you need and how fast you run in MHz. The on chip digital thermal sensor ( DTS ) is reported by CoreTemp as Delta to Tjunction.

My E6400 is Orthos stable for hours at the following settings:
3200 MHz ~ DTS = 5
3400 MHz ~ DTS = 15
3600 MHz ~ DTS = 25

Core chips can run reliably right up to the throttling point as long as you don't overclock them too much. When you are maxing your overclock then you are going to have to leave close to 25 degrees of head room to maintain Orthos stability. Absolute temperatures based on the DTS are undocumented and meaningless. As long as you leave yourself some head room, you're good to go.

Back