New HP desktop, Came with Vista Home Premium - How do I tell if it's a 64bit OS?

Archaea

[H]F Junkie
I can't seem to figure out if this is a 64 bit OS or a 32 bit OS.

It's on a X2 3800+ processor.

I'm guessing 32 bit, but since the processor is 64 bit capable I'm curious.

Is there a quick easy way to check?

System Info doesn't say one way or the other, nor does the properties menu from Computer. The computer didn't come with Disks, OS was pre-loaded.

I'm a Vista newb.

It's a 32-bit OS. HP doesn't ship any retail models with 64-bit Windows. If you did a CTO, you would know yourself if you ordered it with x64. :p

Drop to a command prompt and paste:
systeminfo | find /i "System Type"

You'll see:
"System type: X86-based PC" for 32-bit Windows
or
"System Type: x64-based PC" for 64-bit Windows

PXC thanks

it's 32 bit

Is that a good thing or a bad thing overall. I know there are some driver issues with 64 bit...but how much performance am I losing with the current 3800+ x2 64 bit since I'm stuck using the 32 bit OS?

What about when I upgrade (plan to upgrade to a x2 5200+)

Or...you can go to the control panel and punch up System and get all of your details.

Or...you can go to the control panel and punch up System and get all of your details.

I tried that first (original post) - it doesn't show one way other??? Not sure if that is an HP thing or what cause I read that in other places doing my google search (which I definately did before I posted here)

Might be, but I just checked on my two laptops against my desktop and they all have the same information...the two laptops are an Everex and a Gateway vs a custom built box. Under System you see "View Basic Information About Your Computer" which tells you what edition Windows Vista you are running, the rating, processor, memory and System Type (32 or 64 bit system) this should be Vista related and not part of the manufacturers information.

Might be, but I just checked on my two laptops against my desktop and they all have the same information...the two laptops are an Everex and a Gateway vs a custom built box. Under System you see "View Basic Information About Your Computer" which tells you what edition Windows Vista you are running, the rating, processor, memory and System Type (32 or 64 bit system) this should be Vista related and not part of the manufacturers information.

My Toshiba shows it as well.

sorry...You guys are right - I missed it. :confused:

Thanks for the assist!

It's a 32-bit OS. HP doesn't ship any retail models with 64-bit Windows.

Unless a prebuilt system shipped by one of the large OEM assemblers is configured with 4Gb or more RAM as standard, it is extremely unlikely that it'd be shipped with 64-bit Vista preinstalled. The platform simply isn't yet seen as a 'mainstream' consumer option. There are a small number of prebuilt OEM 64-bit systems available, of course, but they are very much models aimed at an 'enthusiast' market.

Back